Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Private Contractors to Take Over Garbage/Bulk Pickup 5/5/14

At least on the east side and southwest side as of 5/5/14 with Rizzo Environmental Services. It won't begin on the west/NW side with Advance Disposal until 6/2/14.

Garbage days will remain unchanged.

Bi-Weekly bulk pickup will also commence [[same day as Garbage day). I'm assuming the city will be sending out some type of official schedule and notice of change to the residents.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...garbage-pickup
    Last edited by 313WX; May-01-14 at 06:51 PM.

I don't think I will assume anything. But I will be grateful if we get curb recycling here.

hopefully pickups will be timely and with no bad service. I wonder how the recycling aspect will be arranged? The vast majority of city households do not have separate recycling containers. I'm also wondering, do apartment complexes and condo settings already use privatized services?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ... I wonder how the recycling aspect will be arranged? The vast majority of city households do not have separate recycling containers....
    As I recall, Shelby Township recently switched from Allied Waste to Rizzo and free recycle dumpsters were included in the deal. ymmv

I'm also wondering, do apartment complexes and condo settings already use privatized services?
    Some do, some don't.

GUSHI Guest

Even with allied I had a square bucket for recycling, now we have a big trash can for recycling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    As I recall, Shelby Township recently switched from Allied Waste to Rizzo and free recycle dumpsters were included in the deal. ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Even with allied I had a square bucket for recycling, now we have a big trash can for recycling.
    Okay, the scale of these containers might be confusing to other readers. By "dumpster" I'm referring to a waist-high container that's small enough for one man to manage. I have seen smaller rectangular recyclable baskets used previously.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-01-14 at 10:19 PM.

GUSHI Guest

Rizzoservices container is the same size as the garbage container, that roles. we have 3 from them, 1for trash, 1 for recycling, 1 for yard waste.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    At least on the east side and southwest side as of 5/5/14 with Rizzo Environmental Services.
    Is this the same guy that lives in the 'burbs and hates Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I knew someone was going to go there, lol...

hopefully pickups will be timely and with no bad service. I wonder how the recycling aspect will be arranged? The vast majority of city households do not have separate recycling containers. I'm also wondering, do apartment complexes and condo settings already use privatized services?
    Per the article, residents will have to work directly with the contractors to set up curbside recycling [[one-time $25 fee).

Nothing has been mentioned about getting new containers for garbage pickup.

In Rochester Hills we use Republic Services, and I've been happy. We're billed directly for the service; it's not paid through taxes.

I haven't heard anything bad about Rizzo's service, but I have heard that a lot of skeletons from corrupt Warren politics are involved with Rizzo. Something about the selling of equipment, tires, and an old taxpayer-funded political mudslinger works for Rizzo now.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    In Rochester Hills we use Republic Services, and I've been happy. We're billed directly for the service; it's not paid through taxes.

I haven't heard anything bad about Rizzo's service, but I have heard that a lot of skeletons from corrupt Warren politics are involved with Rizzo. Something about the selling of equipment, tires, and an old taxpayer-funded political mudslinger works for Rizzo now.
    That's my biggest fear with all of this.

Hopefully whatever [[negative) feelings they harbor toward Detroit and Detroiters doesn't impact the services they deliver.

They're already picking up brush and junk left out on the easements here in NE 48205 today. Our regular pick-up day is not till Wednsday.

Here's Rizzo's page about us, including a map of the service area and a hard-to-parse bit about which weeks are bulk pickup and which are yard waste.

http://www.rizzoservices.com/DetroitResidents.asp

We have Waste Management here in my Florida city. We are billed through our sewer bill. It works very well [[though I have heard that WM has a mafia connection). If there is any problem, I call the city [[never a hold) and shortly a WM supervisor is out with a pickup truck to correct the problem. We get trash pickup with a regular truck and yard waste/bulk item with a claw truck twice a week and a single-stream recycling pickup once a week.

When i lived in Virginia we had municipal civil service pickup and you practically had to gift wrap the recycling for them and they were messy as hell with trash blowing all over the place.

He keeps dumping on Detroit, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    He keeps dumping on Detroit, eh?

His business is picking up.......

His business is picking up.......

Tee Hee x 3!

Rizzo picked up trash already in West Village and they were picking up yard waste in Indian Village the other day. We did not get our normal Friday pick up. They actually came and took the cans out to the street to the truck and dumped them. We have no back yard access so our cans are kept out front on the sidewalk.