Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Hollywood Costume Shop - West Dearborn"

I know you guys are the ones to ask, especially when a google search comes up nada. I was watching an old "The Goul" clip featuring the one and only George Young on YouTube and they listed the costumes as having come from "The Hollywood Costume Shop - West Dearborn." Well, I have lived in west Dearborn for a while now and I have no idea what that may have been in the early to mid 80's when this video seems to be from. Anyone know anything about this?

The only costume shop I remember in Dearborn is Lynch's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    The only costume shop I remember in Dearborn is Lynch's.
    Before [[and during) Lynch's, there was The Hollywood Costume Shop. It was on the second floor, and dealt with very cool used costumes and props, some very well made. You entered through a door between two buildings, and went up the stairs. It would have been on the South side of MI Ave., between Oakwood and Military, IIRC. The entry door had a small awning above it that read "The Hollywood Costume Shop". That awning remained for years after The Hollywood Costume Shop closed. Back in the 60's, I bought a derby, and my friend a top hat. Perfect garb for Grande concerts.

Hollywood costume was around the corner on Michigan Avenue next to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Hollywood costume was around the corner on Michigan Avenue next to the bar.
    Sarcasm ??

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sarcasm ??
    No. Hollywood costumes was steps from Lynch's and on the same block. The bar has had a few names over the years. When I was growing up, a neighbor of mine owned it. If I am not mistaken when the Hollywood costume building was torn down, it did a number on the stability of that bar and I am unsure if it is even open any longer.
    Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3053...o71vViRHsg!2e0

After:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.305369,-83.247722,3a,75y,341.73h,84.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spSq_4sNA6fjXRySxEzPV-w!2e0
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; May-01-14 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    No the bar has had a few names over the years. When I was growing up, a neighbor of mine owned it. If I am not mistaken when the Hollywood costume building was torn down, it did a number on the stability of that bar and I am unsure if it is even open any longer.
    Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3053...o71vViRHsg!2e0

After:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.305369,-83.247722,3a,75y,341.73h,84.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spSq_4sNA6fjXRySxEzPV-w!2e0
    Oh, I thought it was because I was being so vague. I went to The Hollywood Costume Shop on several occasions, once to put together a costume for a party @ the old Latin Quarters. For years, when I drove on MI Ave. I would see the awning and thought about the place. I don't think it was on the North side, but on the South side of MI Ave., probably where that strip mall was built. In your first Google Maps link, "Brothers Formal Wear", that's where Tom Arnold rented a tux when he was in town for a wedding way back when. It made News back then. Anyway, you might be right about the location, I'm suffering from CRS.