Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WWII re-enactment / Veteran's Recognition weekend @ Fort Wayne this wknd [[May 3-5)

please help spread the word / share this on your social media...Historic Fort Wayne's open season officially begins this weekend with perhaps our best event.

[[starting now, the fort is open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays through October)

http://historicfortwaynecoalition.com/WW2.html

not sure if the guy with the German Tiger tank will actually make it to this event like we've been trying to do for the past couple years [[havent heard), but there will be operating half-tracks!

also, i have some pretty good news regarding the preservation of the site...the Post Commander's House on Officers' Row [[the one that was restored and furnished to 1886 appearance back in ~1990) is finally getting a new roof! granted, the city can't afford to replace it with another cedar shake roof, and are going with a standard asphalt shingle roof, but at least the structure will be protected from further plaster damage.

furthermore, the money for the roof had to be pulled from the 1848 Barracks restoration job [[which should be completed this summer), and some money also had to be pulled from that total to fix the many furnace and plumbing failures that occurred at Fort Wayne over the winter.

so this winter was ROUGH on the Fort...i oughtta know, as i was usually one of the ones who got to clean up the aftermath. by my count there were 7 or 8 pipe breaks, 3 or 4 furnace repairs, and 3 water main breaks. the good news is that all the damage has been repaired and cleaned up, and the fort is open and ready for business, but you may notice that the wood floor in the 1848 Barracks is a little warpy...
    Last edited by WaCoTS; May-02-14 at 11:06 AM.