Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Detroit council president calls state policing of Belle Isle a 'disgrace'

"The issue came up when city Clerk Janice Winfrey told the council about recently getting pulled over by state police at the island for speeding. Winfrey"

Okay, well, Ms. Winfrey, were you speeding?

I don't get it. People complain about the absolutely insane out-of-control crime in the city, and then when somebody does something about it - such as, say, enforcing the law - it is "disgraceful"?

I was raised to believe that it is disgraceful to break the law and endanger public safety, not the other way around.

This is absolutely a cultural issue. When the highest echelons of power are enforcing a disregard for law and order, what kind of example does that set for the rest of the citizens?

Don't want to get a ticket or don't want to go to jail? Don't break the fucking law. Speeding isn't a civil right.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...cil-Belle-Isle

Can we have her and Brenda Jones fight to the death. The winner gets to spend a weekend locked in a small room with starving pit bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Can we have her and Brenda Jones fight to the death. The winner gets to spend a weekend locked in a small room with starving pit bulls.
    That would be animal cruelty.

So let me get this straight: As City Clerk, you get to botch an election cycle, hire your daughter, AND speed?

How do I apply?

Wait, you say that I don't look like you...I see...

Good governance! Can't wait till we give back the reigns to the kids table.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    So let me get this straight: As City Clerk, you get to botch an election cycle, hire your daughter, AND speed?

How do I apply?

Wait, you say that I don't look like you...I see...

Good governance! Can't wait till we give back the reigns to the kids table.
    You forgot driving about Belle Isle with her mother in her City Issued car... Use your own for your joy rides!

jimmyr Guest

If only the state police aggressively patrolled the Palace during NBA season. Perhaps I'd still have my season tickets.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-car-pullovers

The News article provides some actual data from the State Police. At first I thought perhaps they were showing zero tolerance and ticketing everyone 5 or 10 over the limit to set some sort of example of what to expect but that does not appear to be the case.
    By the way, Jones obviously does not know the difference between a ticket and an arrest.

Not surprised. Detroit became Detroit because of Detroiters. Nobody else's fault. A Bus system isn't going to solve shit when you got this mentality of civilized rules shouldn't be enforced or else.

I think people are being arrested - but only when, stopped for speeding, records checks show that they have outstanding warrants - sometimes multiple outstanding warrants, as the DNR reports posted in another thread, make clear. There could certainly be 500 people who have been taken away for driving while suspended and/or warrants.
    Winfrey is going over the speed limit in her city-owned vehicle, is pulled over and [[merely) warned and she has the nerve to complain to Council? I see that Jones ASKED her to complain. Wait until she gets one of the new parking tickets.
    Sorry, Ms. Jones. As a Detroit resident, I am happy to see that people are at last being made accountable for violations like drunken driving, non-payment of child support, suspended licenses, weapons violations, etc. I can’t imagine why you think this should not happen.
    This lawless culture has gotten too wide and too deep in this city.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...569---,00.html

The arrest reports, pure comedy.

Only problem is that there is just way too much to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Not surprised. Detroit became Detroit because of Detroiters. Nobody else's fault. A Bus system isn't going to solve shit when you got this mentality of civilized rules shouldn't be enforced or else.
    Are you speaking only of current Detroiters or the million 'Detroiters' that have fled and taken their tax dollars with them over the years.

If I move to the suburbs tomorrow, am I absolved of any blame because I would no longer be a Detroiter?

"CO Dan Walzak observed a vehicle on Belle Isle traveling in excess of the speed limit.
    The vehicle was pulled over and contact was made with the driver. The driver stated that he was merely driving his girlfriend and her father around the island for her
    birthday. A check of the occupants revealed that the father had one felony warrant and
    six misdemeanor warrants for his arrest. The driver had 34 misdemeanor warrants for
    his arrest. A verbal warning was given for the speed and both subjects were lodged on
    their respective warrants. The girlfriend, with no warrants and possessing a valid
    driver’s license, was released to finish her birthday tour of the Island by herself."

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    "The girlfriend, with no warrants and possessing a valid
    driver’s license, was released to finish her birthday tour of the Island by herself."
    Call me a downer but I don't really find it professional for the DNR officers to add their little humorous comments. It shows a complete lack of respect and professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    "CO Dan Walzak observed a vehicle on Belle Isle traveling in excess of the speed limit.
    The vehicle was pulled over and contact was made with the driver. The driver stated that he was merely driving his girlfriend and her father around the island for her
    birthday.
    A check of the occupants revealed that the father had one felony warrant and six misdemeanor warrants for his arrest. The driver had 34 misdemeanor warrants for his arrest. A verbal warning was given for the speed and both subjects were lodged on their respective warrants.
    The girlfriend, with no warrants and possessing a valid
    Wow, just wow...really?

Call me a downer but I don't really find it professional for the DNR officers to add their little humorous comments. It shows a complete lack of respect and professionalism.
    Somehow I doubt CO Dan Walzak writes his reports in the 3rd person.

I guess they didn't know who they were f***ing with

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Somehow I doubt CO Dan Walzak writes his reports in the 3rd person.
    That may be the case but the humorous commentary, regardless of who at the DNR wrote it, is unnecessary and unprofessional.

Are you speaking only of current Detroiters or the million 'Detroiters' that have fled and taken their tax dollars with them over the years.

If I move to the suburbs tomorrow, am I absolved of any blame because I would no longer be a Detroiter?
    If you leave Detroit, for whatever reason, why would you be blamed for any troubles the future brings to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    If you leave Detroit, for whatever reason, why would you be blamed for any troubles the future brings to Detroit?
    So running from problems absolves people? Someone can completely crap on the city but if they move out they didn't cause the problems? The only problems the city faces are those brought about by the current residents?

People that made decisions that impacted the city in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc but left no longer are responsible for any of the issues in the city?

Man, people here are really dense.

So running from problems absolves people? Someone can completely crap on the city but if they move out they didn't cause the problems? The only problems the city faces are those brought about by the current residents?

People that made decisions that impacted the city in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc but left no longer are responsible for any of the issues in the city?

Man, people here are really dense.
    i left Detroit, my hometown, back in the early 90's after living there for 50 years. My home was paid for, taxes were up to date, no outstanding debts, I was free and clear. I sold my home, which was in pristine condition, to a very nice working woman, for a very modest price. What happened within a year is unbelievable. Trash, broken windows, grass turned to mud, cars on the lawn, even a beautiful maple tree destroyed in front.....was that my fault?

So all of the issues in Detroit are only caused by the current residents? Is it really that simplistic. Perhaps I over complicate things but I find it hard to believe that all that ails the city is a direct result of the 700,000 residents and nothing else.

I wonder if City Clerk Janice Winfrey uttered those infamous words...

"do you know who the fack I am ??!!"

Yep, they should leave it for council.

So all of the issues in Detroit are only caused by the current residents? Is it really that simplistic. Perhaps I over complicate things but I find it hard to believe that all that ails the city is a direct result of the 700,000 residents and nothing else.
    Detroit has been robbed and pillaged by a corrupt administration for years. There has never been any accountability in any city office for years. There has been mismanagement, theft, poor decisions by politicians regarding Detroit for years. Having said that, some residents who live in Detroit have ruined it for other residents. It's certainly not the fault of people who have left Detroit over many years, for whatever reasons, personal or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I think people are being arrested - but only when, stopped for speeding, records checks show that they have outstanding warrants - sometimes multiple outstanding warrants, as the DNR reports posted in another thread, make clear. There could certainly be 500 people who have been taken away for driving while suspended and/or warrants.
    Winfrey is going over the speed limit in her city-owned vehicle, is pulled over and [[merely) warned and she has the nerve to complain to Council? I see that Jones ASKED her to complain. Wait until she gets one of the new parking tickets.
    Sorry, Ms. Jones. As a Detroit resident, I am happy to see that people are at last being made accountable for violations like drunken driving, non-payment of child support, suspended licenses, weapons violations, etc. I can’t imagine why you think this should not happen.
    This lawless culture has gotten too wide and too deep in this city.
    Except that the reason I posted the News article was that it states that 55 arrests were made on the island between Feb. 1 and April 27.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast