Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Death penalty for murder while carjacking...

The federal government today kicked off an anti-carjacking billboard campaign in Detroit and Flint, noting carjackings are down this year, but still too high to tolerate in both cities.
    And in case would-be carjackers aren’t aware, authorities warned, the federal penalties for carjacking are stiff: up to life in prison, or in some cases, death.
    “The offenders are often stunned when they find out the kinds of penalties they face,” U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said at a press conference today, stressing the government wants to raise public awareness about the serious federal penalties for carjacking. She said that under the right circumstances, such as if a carjacking ended someone’s life and involved a gun, she would consider seeking the death penalty.
    “We’re hopeful that if would-be criminals have this information, it’ll have a powerful, deterrent effect,” McQuade said.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...acking-Detroit

I've never heard or seen of a carjacking case picked up by Feds...wonder how often this legal tool is used?

I know this is different from the original post but ...

... a mandatory death penalty for carjacking would be one of the stupidest things you could do .

Give you three guesses why ...

Why is the federal government prosecuting carjackings at all?

Because it did so well with that War on Drugs and War on Terror stuff, now it's all freed up to work magic on other issues.

In Michigan we don't have a death penalty for anything! Why do the FEDS want for simple carjacking. Next thing they want is death penalty for all gang members under the RICO Act for one gang member killed a innocent person.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I know this is different from the original post but ...

... a mandatory death penalty for carjacking would be one of the stupidest things you could do .

Give you three guesses why ...
    I'd imagine instead of a 33% chance of catching a bullet to your face, it would be a 99% chance?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    I'd imagine instead of a 33% chance of catching a bullet to your face, it would be a 99% chance?
    Right. Why risk the same punishment as death only to leave a witness?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Code

It's OK. Our feds will move on to their next stunning success ...

Harummph...

Because it did so well with that War on Drugs and War on Terror stuff, now it's all freed up to work magic on other issues.
    Actually DN the Feds are prosecuting carjackings because my father was murdered during a carjacking 22 years ago. His case prompted the Feds to make it a federal offense. Personally I think its stupid they are involved, but they thought at the time the city could not protect anyone against the crime.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-28-14 at 11:14 PM.

That actually very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Why is the federal government prosecuting carjackings at all?
    There have been a couple different news stories about this the last few days. It seems that the "feds" are tired of seeing the minimal sentences that carjackers get [[on the average), and have said if you [[city/state) aren't able to lock them up for more than a handful of years, we [[feds) will.

Here's more from the article -
    In 1992, Congress passed an armed carjacking law that carries penalties of up to 15 years in prison for each count; 25 years if someone is seriously injured, and life in prison or the death penalty if someone is killed. And if a gun is used in the carjacking, an extra five years is tacked on, and 10 years if it is fired.

Recent carjacking cases that have been prosecuted in federal court include the case of Tyree Washington, 22, of Detroit, who was sentenced last year to 57 years in prison for three counts of armed carjacking. He used a handgun to commit carjackings and steal cars with custom rims, which he hoped to sell on the street.

Three other men — two Detroiters, one from Redford Township — were convicted by a federal jury last year of stealing luxury cars to support a chop shop. They all face sentencing in July. The ringleader faces up to 80 years in prison.

We’re hopeful that if would-be criminals have this information, it’ll have a powerful, deterrent effect,” McQuade said.

Not sure how the carjackers will get this information. I don't think they read the News or Freep and I doubt they have the time to check the forums here on DetroitYes on their stolen Ipads and laptops. And even if they did, can't see it being a deterrent. If you don't have a life why would you be afraid to lose it.

Don't buy gas in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Don't buy gas in Detroit?
    Or go to CVS, or party stores, or Church, or the dollar store, or any of the other places of business in Detroit where carjackings happen. Now that someone has actually stepped up to the plate to attempt to do what the DPD can't seem to get a grip on, let the DY poo-flinging begin.

The U.S. Government has executed 37 individuals from 1937 to 2003. The last execution was 2003…the U.S. Government rarely uses this punishment. And the states can usually overcharge and get sentences that are wheel barrel proportion. Is this reserved for the exceptional criminal? For the record, the U.S. Bureau of Prisons is 150% over capacity.

http://www.bop.gov/about/history/federal_executions.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    There have been a couple different news stories about this the last few days. It seems that the "feds" are tired of seeing the minimal sentences that carjackers get [[on the average), and have said if you [[city/state) aren't able to lock them up for more than a handful of years, we [[feds) will.

Here's more from the article -
    In 1992, Congress passed an armed carjacking law that carries penalties of up to 15 years in prison for each count; 25 years if someone is seriously injured, and life in prison or the death penalty if someone is killed. And if a gun is used in the carjacking, an extra five years is tacked on, and 10 years if it is fired.

Recent carjacking cases that have been prosecuted in federal court include the case of Tyree Washington, 22, of Detroit, who was sentenced last year to 57 years in prison for three counts of armed carjacking. He used a handgun to commit carjackings and steal cars with custom rims, which he hoped to sell on the street.

Three other men — two Detroiters, one from Redford Township — were convicted by a federal jury last year of stealing luxury cars to support a chop shop. They all face sentencing in July. The ringleader faces up to 80 years in prison.
    Thanks. I wasn't aware that there is a federal law specifically targeting carjackings.

Something doesn't sit well with me regarding this. Although I am fine with long sentences for the most violent, why are carjackers being singled out?

Is the message that the feds don't really care if you get shot while going to the store, sitting on your porch, etc as much as they care if someone tries to take your car?

Last year, Detroit had well over 300 murders. I'd like to see the comparison of sentences of carjackers to murderers or attempted murderers/shooters.

I guess the fed is only worried about a persons safety if you have a car. If you have to take a bus and get robbed/shot, well tough ****. If you are out for a walk and get shot, too bad. But if someone tries to take your car, well watch out.

By all means, throw away the key when carjackers are convicted, but let's do the same for murderers, rapists and people that decide to shoot others while committing a crime. Perhaps the fed may want to check into these criminals as well.

If the states can’t go after a criminal, and convict and then sentence them for their crimes...then change the state laws. Offering a seasoned criminal a first class ticket in the Federal system, as opposed to an underfunded state correctional facility reminiscent of medieval times is a convoluted logic. Not one death sentence has been handed down and of the 60 Federal inmates awaiting their death sentences to be carried out, one is from Michigan; who was sentenced to death for a 1997 murder in Michigan's Manistee National Forest – Federal property.
    This law will have zero impact on crime or carjacking’s.

When the president of the United States meets the Mayor of Detroit several times and the prez says he is going to give more federal help to help Detroit you can take it to the bank that they are going to prosecute and convict more criminals from Detroit where federal law can reach violent criminals, carjacking, kidnapping etc. The attorney general and justice dept. take orders from the president pretty seriously.

I am not ideologically opposed to the death penalty [[there are some things so awful that taking a life could theoretically be an appropriate punishment), but I am on practical grounds. It takes many years, clogs the court system, costs taxpayers a fortune, and often never gets carried out anyway. Also, importantly, are the small but very real number of wrongful convictions.

Carjacking is awful. Having been held up at gunpoint myself [[in NY, not Detroit), I can say that I firmly favor a very lengthy prison sentence for anyone using a gun, or display or threat of any weapon, to commit a crime. Punishments as deterrents are beside the point; anyone so inclined to be scared out of committing a crime by a super-long sentence is also likely to be scared by a moderate sentence. Sentences should exist to harshly punish harsh crimes. If it deters anyone, great.

Better street lighting, more visible police presence, and a genuine crackdown [[here is where the feds could really help) on the organized crime racket that is the chop-shop and stolen car racket will be more effective in crushing carjacking than anything else.