Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Resident Advisory Committee for Red Wings Arena Project

Yeah, I know it's a toothless fig leaf of an organization, but it was interesting to see the major big-money players actually get outflanked on this one. Those elected are less likely to belong to the bar association than to be at the bar at Jumbo's.

While I have respect for Joel Landy, I think Landy has become too ... comfortable? I hear he showed up at the meetings and interrupted people and generally behaved like a big shot and ... didn't get elected.

It might not have come off like this without the spirited participation of Castaneda-Lopes and other spirited community folks. Good work!

Now let's see what tired pieces of baggage the council appoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, I know it's a toothless fig leaf of an organization, but it was interesting to see the major big-money players actually get outflanked on this one. Those elected are less likely to belong to the bar association than to be at the bar at Jumbo's.

While I have respect for Joel Landy, I think Landy has become too ... comfortable? I hear he showed up at the meetings and interrupted people and generally behaved like a big shot and ... didn't get elected.

It might not have come off like this without the spirited participation of Castaneda-Lopes and other spirited community folks. Good work!

curious. When did this discussion take place? Could anyone submit their own candidacy to be a member of the advisory group?

I think you had to be a resident, business owner or property owner in an area that was clearly defined, but centering on the lower Cass Corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Council's appointees are Karissa M. W. Holmes, Freddie M. Lindsey-Payne, Toney Stewart, and Eric Williams. None of the names are familiar to me.