Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A hamtramck question that I hope someone will have an answer for it.

Name:  Hamtramck, c.1940's #1.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  45.9 KBName:  Rubin's Radio Sales & Service.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  33.7 KB
    This is a building that was in Hamtramck in the 1940's.
    It looks to be under deconstruction.
    Would anyone know where this building was?
    Thanks for your assistance....

I believe that is the building that sat at Holbrook and Caniff, perhaps on the southeast corner [[where the strip mall is now)?

for some reason it looks familiar

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    for some reason it looks familiar
    Sure does!

http://www.hamtramck.lib.mi.us/hhc/large-242.html

http://www.hamtramck.lib.mi.us/hhc/large-243.html

This is what replaced it...

http://hamtramck.lib.mi.us/hhc/large-17.html

It is now a CVS.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-24-14 at 05:45 PM.

I remember when they put that copper awning up I thought it was so cool looking. Across the street was the Peoples State Bank on the SE corner and on the NW corner was the Liberty Bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I remember when they put that copper awning up I thought it was so cool looking. Across the street was the Peoples State Bank on the SE corner and on the NW corner was the Liberty Bank.
    That building looks like it's on it's last leg in the 1940 photo, then in your links, which appear to be 70-80's, the building looks rehabbed. Anyone have any idea what it was prior to 1940?

A funny story:

After the fire and after the building was torn down, the lime green colored foundation / basement was all that remained. After a good rainstorm it would fill up, [[although not completely). Someone went and spray painted on the green wall "Hamtramck Community Pool. Swim at your own risk"

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That building looks like it's on it's last leg in the 1940 photo, then in your links, which appear to be 70-80's, the building looks rehabbed. Anyone have any idea what it was prior to 1940?
    If you click on the links to the historic photos it mentions that construction wasn't completed right away when the building went up in the 1930's. Presumably this was due to the Depression. What you're seeing is 1930s Hamtramck's version of Bloomfield Park.