Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rejected by State University due to her morals??

So I have viewed this video a few times over and still can't figure out what morals the university were in disagreement with to actually deny/reject her application. Also, why does she never mention her GPA and SAT scores. I guess the university could give her a pass just this one time or to accommodate her they could simply lower the admission standards all together cause she is really pissed and may continue to scream. Is it just me or does anyone else see a problem here. Why aren't her proud parents standing next to her as she screams?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5174029.html

GPA was 3.4 then 3.5 then 3.6, ACT 23. Michigan requires higher on SAT by one, except for jocks and legacies, and a B+ equivalent GPA, which she had
    Last edited by rb336; April-24-14 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5174029.html

So I have viewed this video a few times over and still can't figure out what morals the university were in disagreement with to actually deny/reject her application. Also, why does she never mention her GPA and SAT scores. I guess the university could give her a pass just this one time or to accommodate her they could simply lower the admission standards all together cause she is really pissed and may continue to scream. Is it just me or does anyone else see a problem here. Why aren't her proud parents standing next to her as she screams?
    The University can deny you admission for pretty much whatever reason it wants, but especially if your ACT score is 23. They have plenty of qualified applicants each year, and a good deal of those aren't admitted. Maybe the young lady, like Ms. Gratz before her, could learn a thing or two about entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Michigan requires higher on SAT by one
    Well there ya go.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014041...ooke-kimbrough
    I pointed out that whites were 79% of Michigan’s population, but officially 57% of U-M’s, so should we adjust that up? “That’s ludicrous,” she said, claiming it should only apply to minorities. I then noted U-M was 11% Asian American, but our state was only 2%. Should we adjust down?
    “I don’t understand what you’re asking,” she said."

I mean, there are many valid reasons that a majority of Americans feel black people are more racist than white people and Hispanics.
    So we can't adjust white people up or other minorities down, so I guess we should just admit a higher percentage than 100% to U-M
    You're not fucking qualified. Go somewhere else. Jesus H. Christ, not everything is because you're black.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    The University can deny you admission for pretty much whatever reason it wants, but especially if your ACT score is 23. They have plenty of qualified applicants each year, and a good deal of those aren't admitted. Maybe the young lady, like Ms. Gratz before her, could learn a thing or two about entitlement.
    Pretty much. Also, why is this news?

Default To many mouths to feed

4.0 is a given in one’s portfolio, cumulative not just a semester, and to be frank 4.0 students are a dime a dozen. These are busy days for colleges, students are applying at record rate for the same amount of coveted openings, there are many veterans adding to the cattle call as well.
    To put this issue in perspective; San Diego State receives nearly 80,000 applications, they accept less than 8000 students a year. An appeal is an option, the chances of winning an appeal is slim to none, and slim just left town.
    SDSU would state the totality of the application, as well as the declared major go into their decision. A few points are added to an individual’s score if they are children of alumni, and I believe vets receive a few points as well.

http://www.10news.com/news/navy-vete...versity-041114

This thread is a little threadbare.

1. It was Kimbrough that said that she believed she was rejected on morals and she used the wrong word. She meant “values,” not “morals when she said:

"I believe that I have been rejected because of the morals that I stand for! I am Harriet [[Tubman)! I will take back my freedom as a tool to help the others. I have left the plantation. ...”

1. Jennifer Gratz offered to debate rejected HS senior Brooke Kimbrough AND Shanta Driver, Executive Director of By ANY MEANS Necessary, a self-identified anarchist group in Detroit.
    2. BAMN [[Shanta Driver) organized the protest at UM and put Kimbrough out in front. BAMN coached her to look stricken and screaming.
    3. Gratz is not trying to take out a kid [[however great she is at debate) but actually offered to debate an anarchist lawyer - her peer, if you will.
    4. I have read that Kimbrough has started to realize that she was used by a very, very iffy group with huge political baggage [[they are the people who infiltrate every protest and start trouble, throw star nails, etc) and is backing away.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Pretty much. Also, why is this news?
    because it's click bait for comments sections.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Bailey my friend [[if I may) you are sharp as a tac!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Precisely. It's why the worst and most outrageous clips, as with this young lady's ill-thought-out rant, are picked out of the internet "noise" and highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I mean, there are many valid reasons that a majority of Americans feel black people are more racist than white people and Hispanics.

Specifically to appeal to the worked-up [[threatened white dude) trollery that continually expresses these sort of sentiments. Conveniently ignoring and eluding, of course, the entirety of U.S. [[and indeed Western) history and its effects from the year zero to, say, approximately last month [[or, around here, at least 1973).

She didn't get into her top choice university and she compared it to slavery. Fucking SLAVERY. Let's hope she doesn't get rejected from Harvard Medical School in the future, she might claim it's a worse tragedy than the Holocaust.

I might have felt more sympathy for her if I didn't read the list of VERY respectable schools she did get into: MSU, Iowa and Howard University among others. She could get a great education at any one of them. Stop crying because you got rejected from one elite school. You got a 23 on the ACT, I mean, come on...

Again, she is a kid who was coopted by anarchists in BAMN. She's trying to retreat now.

Why is anyone paying attention to the whiners found by the Huffington Post. But since we're here, I think UM realized she didn't understad what morals are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Why is anyone paying attention to the whiners found by the Huffington Post. But since we're here, I think UM realized she didn't understad what morals are.

Thanks for the laff, Wesley! lol

Some mislead young ladies being used as pawns by an organization that's busy fighting yesterday's battles that they've already won.

Imagine if this organization spent all of its energy and efforts on educating poor\minority folks in Detroit, helping them to not have kids, stay away from drugs and crime, and teach them financial management and future planning skills.

jimmyr Guest

1. The 23 ACT score did not disqualify her. UM lets in DPS students with that ACT every year.
    2. The GPA is suspect. UM recalculates GPA using only the core classes. Most likely her accumulative at the high school is 3.6, but once you take out all of the non-core courses it drops to a 3.2-3.4.
    3. Her rejected BAMN friend from Birmingham Seaholm is rich. Her mom is a doctor for Christ's sake! They live in what I consider a mansion and drive luxury cars. Woe is me, really?
    4. I speak from first hand experience that UM bends over backwards to get Detroit area minorities into Ann Arbor. I would bet a large sum of money both of them wrote the craziest looniest most absurd essays you can imagine, that set off all kinds of character red flags in admissions.
    5. Instead of the meaningless extra curriculars, a much better use of their time would have been hitting the books harder. Actually, I'm not convinced they hit the books much at all, so actually opening their books would be better than starting clubs and doing debate.
    Last edited by jimmyr; April-24-14 at 07:09 PM.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Some mislead young ladies being used as pawns by an organization that's busy fighting yesterday's battles that they've already won.
    That's the saddest part. Why are their parents letting them act like this or hang out with these nuts at BAMN? Daisha's parents are wealthy professionals in Birmingham. The DPS girl's mom is a 20 year postal worker, so she's at least competent. How do you think letting your kid get exploited by BAMN is a good idea? They will be attached to this via Google for the next several years.

Name:  BmAmakQCUAAdmtK.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  63.0 KB

Protesting their way into the University of Michigan...That'll work...

Your entrance essay is a very big deal when applying to U of M. I'm curious what was written. It's not spoken of in the article and it says a lot about who you are, why it's important to be a part of U of M and what you hope to accomplish.

The ACT score is low if you come from decent performing schools, but probably acceptable and understandable in challenged school settings. I know plenty of my classmates got in with 24's and 25's but I don't think this is a very big composition of admissions. Neither is GPA when it's 3.5 or higher. Though you'll want to be at the top if you come from a high performing school.

Did I mention the essay?

I think the protest is the wrong way to go about this. The news will die off in a few days, the university won't budge except for a media comment. It's certainly a real challenging issue....but couching it based on a rejection letter seems hardly the right way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Your entrance essay is a very big deal when applying to U of M. I'm curious what was written. It's not spoken of in the article and it says a lot about who you are, why it's important to be a part of U of M and what you hope to accomplish.

The ACT score is low if you come from decent performing schools, but probably acceptable and understandable in challenged school settings. I know plenty of my classmates got in with 24's and 25's but I don't think this is a very big composition of admissions. Neither is GPA when it's 3.5 or higher. Though you'll want to be at the top if you come from a high performing school.

Did I mention the essay?
    But she came from what is claimed to be the top charter school in the city. Why would one need to adjust her grades and scores up? I mean charters are here to save us from sub par DPS right?

Re her essay, from the articles, apparently she wrote her essay[[s) on her dream to end racism.
    Last edited by bailey; April-25-14 at 09:00 AM.

How many times did she take the ACT? Did she prep for it? I don't mean a prep class, which can be expensive, but did she buy a prep book or get one from the library and really PREP for the ACT? Many high school students take the ACT 3-4 times. Most colleges, including U of M, superscore, only taking into account the applicant's best score, on each part.

If her grades are really that good she should have been able to score better than a 23 if she took it a few times and with a little bit of prep.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    4.0 is a given in one’s portfolio, cumulative not just a semester, and to be frank 4.0 students are a dime a dozen. These are busy days for colleges, students are applying at record rate for the same amount of coveted openings, there are many veterans adding to the cattle call as well.
    To put this issue in perspective; San Diego State receives nearly 80,000 applications, they accept less than 8000 students a year. An appeal is an option, the chances of winning an appeal is slim to none, and slim just left town.
    SDSU would state the totality of the application, as well as the declared major go into their decision. A few points are added to an individual’s score if they are children of alumni, and I believe vets receive a few points as well.

http://www.10news.com/news/navy-vete...versity-041114
    Sorry to troll your post SDCC, but your numbers about San Diego State U are off a bit. It is indeed true that SDSU is one of the most selective schools in the CSU system. But, according to school sources cited on the school's Wiki site, SDSU admits around 35% of its approx. 50,000 applicants every year. About 20% of those admits usually enroll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_State_University

As for Ms. Kimbrough's media adventure this week, she was badly exploited by BAMN. If the group really wants to effectively advance the under-representation of minorities in higher education, it should be trying to respond with facts [[not screams) to the kinds of issues raised by folks such as our local Fox News-lite luminary, Frank Beckman. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ive-action-die

Default Works Cited?

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Sorry to troll your post SDCC, but your numbers about San Diego State U are off a bit. It is indeed true that SDSU is one of the most selective schools in the CSU system. But, according to school sources cited on the school's Wiki site, SDSU admits around 35% of its approx. 50,000 applicants every year. About 20% of those admits usually enroll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_State_University

As for Ms. Kimbrough's media adventure this week, she was badly exploited by BAMN. If the group really wants to effectively advance the under-representation of minorities in higher education, it should be trying to respond with facts [[not screams) to the kinds of issues raised by folks such as our local Fox News-lite luminary, Frank Beckman. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ive-action-die
    I wouldn’t challenge a post using Wikipedia as my source. Secondly they are not “my numbers", I pulled the figures from 10news – the local ABC affiliate here in San Diego. If you click on the video link I provided on my original post, it actually shows the denial letter from SDSU, the video is two minutes long, shorter than it took you to write your response. The letter states SDSU received 78,000 applications for the fall of 2014 [[I rounded up) and there were 7783 slots or openings available – I rounded that figure up as well.

Accepting students who are not prepared for such an academically-rigorous environment will not help them succeed, even if doing so enhances "campus diversity." UoM's black graduation rate is already 15% lower than its white graduation rate. 1 in 4 black students at UofM will NOT earn a degree. And many of those who don't earn a degree will still leave with crippling student loan debt that they'll be stuck with for the rest of their lives. If the admissions standards for black applicants are lowered, you can bet that the black graduation rate will similarly go down.

Look at Wayne State. They pretty much have an open door admissions policy for DPS students and they have the worst black graduation rate of any public college in America.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...et_in_dif.html

Only 1 in 10 black students at Wayne State will actually earn a bachelor's degree within 6 years. 90% will drop out. And how many of those took out student loans to pay for it? And now they have debt but no degree.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    I wouldn’t challenge a post using Wikipedia as my source. Secondly they are not “my numbers", I pulled the figures from 10news – the local ABC affiliate here in San Diego. If you click on the video link I provided on my original post, it actually shows the denial letter from SDSU, the video is two minutes long, shorter than it took you to write your response. The letter states SDSU received 78,000 applications for the fall of 2014 [[I rounded up) and there were 7783 slots or openings available – I rounded that figure up as well.
    Wiki isn't the primary source, SDSU is. See, for example, http://asir.sdsu.edu/reports/Glance/glance.pdf The unfortunate Marine's rejection letter appears to lump freshman and transfer numbers together to get to the 80,000 application total. Your original post stated that the school "accepted" 8000 students. Actually, the school accepts [[admits) at least 3x that many students.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast