Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Midtown to get makeover of two apartment bulidings

I assume the only 'news' here is the groundbreaking, but groundbreakings ARE news [['cause they mean something is actually happening).

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140424/BIZ/304240026/Groundbreaking-planned-Thursday-17M-makeover-Midtown-buildings
    Last edited by emu steve; April-24-14 at 06:28 AM.

Yeah they had the news on fox2D:

Historic Detroit apartments to receive massive makeover

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25...ssive-makeover

Damn. I was hoping this was going to be the Strathmoor. Good news all the same.

Nice. Two of my favorite derelict buildings. I like the renderings.

drive/bike east toward woodward on mlk all the time. it'll be nice to see the building on the ne corner of cass and mlk fixed.

is this targeted at "market rate" renters?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is this targeted at "market rate" renters?

nope looks like both are affordable housing

Nice to see them renovating the Davenport [[which I once lived in years ago, during my Cass Corridor punk phase). It's really a beautiful building, but even back in the '80s needed a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    nope looks like both are affordable housing
    "“quality, affordable apartment homes” doesn't necessarily mean "not market rate"

Great timing. Today or yesterday the Cass Plaza bldg dropped another pile of brick on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    drive/bike east toward woodward on mlk all the time. it'll be nice to see the building on the ne corner of cass and mlk fixed.
    I'm trying to get a feel for this area.

It obviously isn't Wayne State. It will be a distance from the arena.

What other development is around it?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

The DMC and medical campus

How can not two fairly large sized eyesores becoming habitable dwellings not be considered news?

This further expands the hipsters march to the South.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    The DMC and medical campus
    I really struggle understanding this area which is somewhat south of Wayne and north of the 'arena district'.

Someone can give me a street address say on W. Alexandrine and I don't know if there is a quality building there OR a gutted shell [[and, of course, the two could coexist a 100 yard apart).

In other words, the three 'transitional' [[west of Woodward) zones are [[I think???):

1). WSU area, primarily residential expanding southward to say W. Alexandrine.

2). The DMC, Medical Center area west of Woodward expanding south toward MLKjr. Blvd.

3). The "Arena District" which should eventually expand north to MLKjr Blvd.

Is this how others view development/redevelopment in this area?

It's an odd milieu of the new and the old there. You have the NSO, which helps the needy. You have the two buildings that are being rehabbed. You also have the Chinatown area, which is being rehabbed. And that castle mansion, which I believe Joel Landy is about to go to town on. So there's some blight there and some people with economic and mental needs.

But then you also have a doggie day care, a tapas place, some boutiques, and bike shop, and a whole bunch of other stuff that caters to the crowd coming in.

I guess you could call it "transitional."

Midtown is 6 districts.
    Brush Park, Medical Center, Art Center, WSU, North Cass and Cass Park.

Brush Park is East of Woodward, South of Mack [[west of 75)
    Medical Center is North of Mack, East of Woodward, South of Warren [[west of 75)
    Art Center is North of Warren, East of Woodward [[West of 75)
    Cass Park is South of MLK [[Mack), West of Woodward
    North Cass is North of MLK [[Mack), West of Woodward, South of Warren
    WSU is North of Warren, West of Woodward.

This development is on the Fringe of North Cass / Cass Park, but by the definitions above, it is in North Cass.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Midtown is 6 districts.
    Brush Park, Medical Center, Art Center, WSU, North Cass and Cass Park.

Brush Park is East of Woodward, South of Mack [[west of 75)
    Medical Center is North of Mack, East of Woodward, South of Warren [[west of 75)
    Art Center is North of Warren, East of Woodward [[West of 75)
    Cass Park is South of MLK [[Mack), West of Woodward
    North Cass is North of MLK [[Mack), West of Woodward, South of Warren
    WSU is North of Warren, West of Woodward.

This development is on the Fringe of North Cass / Cass Park, but by the definitions above, it is in North Cass.
    Sounds better than what I think of them as [[speaking west of Woodward):

1) "Ilitchville" to MLK.

2). Medical Center - West.

3). WSU's "South End" - I have a WSU degree and the term "South End" has meaning to me.

That 'said' I'm kind of surprised that all of the area adjacent [[south) of WSU's campus is referred to as "North Cass" rather than some reference to WSU.

That is good news. There is $$$ the North, South, and East. Always seemed strange that that particular neighborhood was so challenged. I hope that momentum carries west to Woodbridge, Corktown, and the neighborhoods in between.

I really struggle understanding this area which is somewhat south of Wayne and north of the 'arena district'.
    I'm struggling to understand what it is about this area you're struggling to understand, and why this lack of understanding is apparently so bothersome for you. Maybe just go there and walk around? Or stop worrying about it and find something else to do?

"Hipsters march to the South" LMAO, thats a good one. Then you have Illitch coming North like Genghis Khan and his brother Don. I wonder if they will fuck or fight?

That whole area South of MLK to the freeway is just fertile. Once that hockey arena comes into play Foxtown and the Corridor [[some of you may call it "Midtown") will all melt into one. Wish I owned a piece of that action.

They've been working on that corner of MLK X Cass for almost a month now. They also had a police raid next door to the corner building about a month ago.
    Last edited by Django; April-25-14 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Crown Russe

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    "Hipsters march to the South" LMAO, thats a good one.

That whole area South of MLK to the freeway is just fertile. Once that hockey arena comes into play Foxtown and the Corridor [[some of you call it Midtown) will all melt into one. Wish I owned a piece of that.

They've been working on that corner of MLK X Cass for almost a month now. They also had a police raid next door to the corner building about a month ago.
    The developers want to make sure that 'Crackhead' Corridor is wipe out, and all the homeless folks gather near the NSO center on the corner of MLK and Third St are moved away. Gentrification is here in the urban city. Young professionals are making their claim in Detroit.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Young professionals are making their claim in Detroit.
    A thread about two affordable housing apartments and you bring up yuppies. What do yuppies have to do with any of this?

But since you did, does data exist to back it up this deluge of yuppies into Detroit? Just how many yuppies made their claim in Detroit in 2013? Is there data out there that shows how many stay put after year one? Aren't they still offering the rent grant thing to yuppies who agree to rent for a year?

jimmyr Guest

Did Comerica and Ford Field really make residential in foxtown/dtown pop? I'm too young to recall what that area was like. I'm just not sure I follow the logic that a hockey arena is going to make such an impact if two other stadiums didn't appear to do much for foxtown/downtown. It's still really quite down there after 5pm and on weekends if nothing is going on. I think a hockey arena can't hurt, obviously, but I just don't see how it's going to provide some residential boom is all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    A thread about two affordable housing apartments and you bring up yuppies. What do yuppies have to do with any of this?

But since you did, does data exist to back it up this deluge of yuppies into Detroit? Just how many yuppies made their claim in Detroit in 2013? Is there data out there that shows how many stay put after year one? Aren't they still offering the rent grant thing to yuppies who agree to rent for a year?

i'm one of dem yuppies.. moved to midtown from the burbs in july, haven't looked back and plan on staying here .. best decision i ever made

still remember everyone asking if i was crazy "dude you better buy a gun or something".

now my friends can't wait for weekends to come visit so we can go out downtown .. tide's turning

jimmyr Guest

I asked for data and you responded with a first person anecdote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast