Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is Movement THIS Big?!

We all know Movement, the Techno music fest in Hart Plaza for memorial day. I've spent years thinking that Detroit never had any MAJOR fests [[like Lollapalooza in Chicago), but mannnn was I wrong. Apparently Movement is so LARGE and POPULAR, they've had pre parties in Los Angeles, San Fran, Toronto, Vancouver, even cities in Mexico. Isn't that awesome?! This year is my first year going, so I'm looking forward to it.

It's voted top ten and I think has been voted number one for electronic festivals/music festivals internationally. It's definitely a big deal nowadays. Much thanks to paxahau for taking the festival to the next level, even with the gate charges.

This will be my 13th year attending and I can't hardly wait!
    Last edited by adamjab19; April-23-14 at 09:33 PM.

I had a big movement this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I had a big movement this morning.
    Would you rate it in the top ten?

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    It's called DEMF again, and it's been postponed to next year. No decent explanation as to why [[supposedly due to construction of the light rail system, which doesn't seem to be holding up any other festivals.)

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    It's called DEMF again, and it's been postponed to next year. No decent explanation as to why [[supposedly due to construction of the light rail system, which doesn't seem to be holding up any other festivals.)
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. DEMF is a Carol Marvin "production", was going to be July 4 weekend, and is now "postponed" to next year.

Movement is a Paxahau production, is Memorial day weekend, and is on because it is run by professionals. http://www.movement.us/home

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. DEMF is a Carol Marvin "production", was going to be July 4 weekend, and is now "postponed" to next year.
    Shoot you're right. Shame on me for relying radio "news."

Go Movement, AND DEMF if they ever have another one.

Paxahau who puts on Movement every year is also putting on Moogfest this year in Asheville N.C. which is happening this week. http://www.moogfest.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    We all know Movement, the Techno music fest in Hart Plaza for memorial day. I've spent years thinking that Detroit never had any MAJOR fests [[like Lollapalooza in Chicago), but mannnn was I wrong. Apparently Movement is so LARGE and POPULAR, they've had pre parties in Los Angeles, San Fran, Toronto, Vancouver, even cities in Mexico. Isn't that awesome?! This year is my first year going, so I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    It's voted top ten and I think has been voted number one for electronic festivals/music festivals internationally. It's definitely a big deal nowadays. Much thanks to paxahau for taking the festival to the next level, even with the gate charges.

It's been a big deal since inception. I went the first or second year and I swear I talked to more people for whom Dutch, German and Swedish were the primary tongue than English

Totally excited for this year. Especially since all of the people who go solely because its a festival probably think it's cancelled. Screw Carol Marvin regardless.

It always this big since its inception. Detroit is the home of Techno.

Went to the first three or four festivals. At one, the DJ onstage welcomed all and said "This is the place where you won't find your parents".

Spouse and I turned around in the massive crowd. We found and waved to our kids. We had all gone unbeknownst to each other. Showed the DJ. Kids were a little embarrassed but we all had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Paxahau who puts on Movement every year is also putting on Moogfest this year in Asheville N.C. which is happening this week. http://www.moogfest.com/
    Did not know Paxahau was involved in Moogfest, thanks for that. That explains why so many artists from Detroit were slotted.

Played Movement a few years back, but I am always more keen for the pre and afterparties. Let's see how the new mayor handles this weekend.

It always seemed to be a crapshoot whether parties would be shutdown for no apparent reason, while other years it was clear sailing.

It started out as the D.E.M.F. It seemed to be a booby prize given to the techno culture in Detroit [[and other parts of the country I heard) when all of the parties were systematically shut-down in late '99. I don't think city planners took it seriously. But the first one drew close to a million folks [[the only death was a kid trying to imitate other kids climbing the Noguchi fountain-an easy task up, I hear, but a perilous one down. Cops saw him and ran towards him shouting. He panicked to get down, fell on his head, and died hours later in the hospital. Felt bad when I heard about it from those who were there to see it.), and dollar signs sprang up in the eyes of many.
    The following year was a rain out the whole weekend, but there were twice as many corporate sponsorship [[like Absolute Vodka). The third year the controversy of Carl Craig being edged out on the whole thing [[and a lot of folks who backed him and supported him were mad) was a constant underpinning. Once the name changed and admission was charged, folks knew it was far too removed from it's inception, and attendance dropped radically.
    Detroit still has lots of events that draw folks. I still stand by the Montreux-Detroit Jazz Festival [[oh, I'm sorry, the Detroit Jazz fest) as being a happening thing that gets good acts and packs folks in yearly. It's in the top 25 jazz fests listed. You can't have Detroit and not have music as a part of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    It started out as the D.E.M.F. It seemed to be a booby prize given to the techno culture in Detroit [[and other parts of the country I heard) when all of the parties were systematically shut-down in late '99. I don't think city planners took it seriously. But the first one drew close to a million folks [[the only death was a kid trying to imitate other kids climbing the Noguchi fountain-an easy task up, I hear, but a perilous one down. Cops saw him and ran towards him shouting. He panicked to get down, fell on his head, and died hours later in the hospital. Felt bad when I heard about it from those who were there to see it.), and dollar signs sprang up in the eyes of many.
    The following year was a rain out the whole weekend, but there were twice as many corporate sponsorship [[like Absolute Vodka). The third year the controversy of Carl Craig being edged out on the whole thing [[and a lot of folks who backed him and supported him were mad) was a constant underpinning. Once the name changed and admission was charged, folks knew it was far too removed from it's inception, and attendance dropped radically.

Detroit still has lots of events that draw folks. I still stand by the Montreux-Detroit Jazz Festival [[oh, I'm sorry, the Detroit Jazz fest) as being a happening thing that gets good acts and packs folks in yearly. It's in the top 25 jazz fests listed. You can't have Detroit and not have music as a part of it all.

It was never at a million attendees, that was a guestimate. And in all honesty attendance has increased every year since Paxahau took over.

this may help the few people who like techno on more than just one weekend a year.

http://electronicmidwest.com/edm-eve...ndar/michigan/

still i question how techno detroit is if they dont even play it on the radeeooh
    the essential mix has been kicking ass for many years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wkfp/episodes/guide

There was plenty of techno on the airwaves in Detroit starting with the Electrifying Mojo in the 80s, as well FM98, CBC [[Brave New Waves) and several other stations. Once Clear Channel started buying up everything and homogenizing radio formatting, it all went the way of the dodo.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    still i question how techno detroit is if they dont even play it on the radeeooh
    the essential mix has been kicking ass for many years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wkfp/episodes/guide
    You still hear it on the air every now and then. WDET has a couple of shows on the weekend that regularly plays Detroit techno.

The 'scene' has definitely died down since it's peak in the late 90's. The old school labels are pretty quiet [[Transmat, Planet-e, Metroplex, UR/Submerge, etc..) There will be a residency or techno night here and there. The only dedicated 'electronic' night club is Elektricity in Pontiac, and the only really active label is Ghostly in Ann Arbor [[which is actually *very* active) I think most of the smaller, independent artists have gone the soundcloud/bandcamp route.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    You still hear it on the air every now and then. WDET has a couple of shows on the weekend that regularly plays Detroit techno.

The only dedicated 'electronic' night club is Elektricity in Pontiac,

Pretty sure you left out the Works, TV Bar, Bleu, the Grasshopper and Whiskey Disco?

when is Movement 2015? Will there also be a "DEMF" 2015?

Movement is always Memorial Day weekend [[May 23-25).

That DEMF BS is not happening, more than likely. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    There was plenty of techno on the airwaves in Detroit starting with the Electrifying Mojo in the 80s, as well FM98, CBC [[Brave New Waves) and several other stations. Once Clear Channel started buying up everything and homogenizing radio formatting, it all went the way of the dodo.
    Culture in all fields suffered blows left and right from 1998-2002.A lot of my DJ friends lost their positions at WDET. Whatever "crack down" for promoting [[or whatever the petty crime pinned on them) was just an equivalent to stealing the office stapler, but the powers that be got their way. "The Cowboy wants to have a meeting with you...."