Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Abandoned Billboard-NW Corner Grand River/Lahser

On the roof of the building at the northwest corner of Grand River Avenue and Lahser Road is a huge abandoned billboard. There seems to be at least three different ads [[and even parts of a "for lease" sign) on it and there's also a nameplate scar that's rectangular, indicating it might've belonged to either Gannett Outdoor, Eller Outdoor or [[albeit unlikely) 3M National. Does anyone remember how this billboard suddenly became abandoned and started falling apart from neglect?

Somebody stopped maintaining it, that's how things usually get abandoned and fall apart.

Back around 1980, that building was the American College of Beauty. Man, there is a bit of irony in that.

The liquor store across the street was a once a drug store {I guess the fact that liquor is a drug keeps that tradition alive} where my brother and I would bring tubes from our TV to be tested.

I am getting old.

Pickford do you remember the donut shop next to the shoe repair shop? How about the candy store next to that? Do you remember when that probation office on the corner of Santa Clara & Lasher was a Socia Security office? I grew up on Santa Clara and Bentler.