Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit food chains coming to Chi-town

Happy's Pizza opened a couple stores on the south side two months ago and now Leo's Coney Island is opening soon on Southport Ave. All I need is a Hungry Howie's closer than the one in NW Indiana and I will be all set!

Is Hungry Howie's a Detroit based pizzeria?

Hungry Howie's is based out of Madison Heights, MI. Its first location was started in taylor, MI as a converted hamburger joint. They now boast 585+ stores among 27 states, predominately in MI and FL.

Well known for "The Home of the Free Flavored Crust", Hungry Howie's has kept a tasty edge [[snicker) over competition through this unique selling point.

Together with fresh dough made daily and a menu variety that squashes Papa's / Dominoes / Ceasar's into pulp, Hungry Howie's attracts only the best candidates to liscense the fully Franchised system.

Visit www.hungryhowies.com to find a location near you.

All I need is a Hungry Howie's closer than the one in NW Indiana and I will be all set!
    Do you think there is a market for HH over there xphillip? I understand chicagoans and New Yorkers are very particular about there pizza.

I know that there is a Jets Pizza in the Tampa area. Guess we have a lot of exported college grads lol.

I remember Hungary Howie's back in the late 1970s with the store near Ann Arbor Trail [[Road?) and Merriman Drive in Westland. If my memory serves me right, I believe my mother suggested to someone at that store about offering a 2-for-1 pizza deal. Shortly thereafter, HH started offering 2 pizzas for the price of one. A couple of years later, I believe that is why Little Ceasar's started their Pizza-Pizza deal.

Several years ago, HH opened a store in Chesapeake VA but it didn't take off in this area and closed. Dang.

I always loved HH pizza over all others. We bought a lot from that HH store.
    Last edited by Catman; July-24-09 at 03:38 PM.

I spent a lot of lunch hours at the Hungry Howies buffets while living in Florida. It's hard to beat $4.99 all you can eat pizza and $5 pitchers of beer!

I delivered pizza for Hungry Howie's for a second job in San Diego. Owner was from Michigan. I always loved the garlic flavored crusts.

Happy's Pizza opened a couple stores on the south side two months ago and now Leo's Coney Island is opening soon on Southport Ave.
    I was just thinking the other day how it'd be nice to have a Coney here on the north side.

Downtown diva Guest

i think it is wonderful that we can export the crappiest food to the rest of the country. detroit rises

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Do you think there is a market for HH over there xphillip? I understand chicagoans and New Yorkers are very particular about there pizza.
    There are Caesars and Domino's stores here so why not Hungry Howie's? They need to do what Leo's is doing and open one in Lincoln Park.

It is good to see that Detroit based chains are opening up in Chicago, Yet I wish Vito&Nics would open up a Detroit location.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown diva View Post
    i think it is wonderful that we can export the crappiest food to the rest of the country. detroit rises
    HA! You think we have the crappiest food? Watch the Travel Channel sometime, we have some of the tamest. Coney Islands are as much a part of Detroit culture as cars, I'm glad Leo's is expanding, my sisters don't have to miss it anymore.