Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Go Back in Time with Google Street View

If you’ve ever dreamt of being a time traveler like Doc Brown, now’s your chance. Starting today, you can travel to the past to see how a place has changed over the years by exploring Street View imagery in Google Maps for desktop. We've gathered historical imagery from past Street View collections dating back to 2007 to create this digital time capsule of the world.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

Who would ever want to do that though. I mean, nostalgia leads to melancholy; arent people miserable enough as is. I dont want to see the cracks in my sidewalk circa 2007, period.

Is this only for the new version? The old version still loads on my PC and I tried finding such a button in that version of Street View, but to no avail.

EDIT: Yes, it's only on the new version-I switched over to the new version and was able to see what my house looked like in July 2013 and August 2007!

EDIT 2: Up until now, I wasn't even aware that Windsor had Street View images dating back to 2007 [[and in lower quality, of course)-I thought Street View didn't even exist in Windsor until 2010!

In addition, Google Earth [[since version 5) has a similar tool for aerial images...however, the ones in Metro Detroit only go back to 1999, but there's this site for images older than that. I could imagine what this could be like if Google Street View existed in 1949 or even 1997-it would be cool to see the Hudson's building on Street View if that was the case.

But still, I'll bet you that if someone in the year 2064 decides to look at a 2013 Street View image of pretty much anywhere in Detroit, they would be joking at how mediocre our transit system was back then!
    Last edited by mtburb; April-23-14 at 03:29 PM.