Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default When will Woodward Lightrail construction start?

Ok. Now that it's Spring when will construction begin on the lightrail? I had thought something was being done on Woodward last week with all of the orange barrels but the turn out to be another patching job. I don't want to hear that construction will start late spring or summer. We were sold that line of bullshit last year

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Ok. Now that it's Spring when will construction begin on the lightrail? I had thought something was being done on Woodward last week with all of the orange barrels but the turn out to be another patching job. I don't want to hear that construction will start late spring or summer. We were sold that line of bullshit last year
    I'm pretty confident the work on Woodward recently has been linked to light rail. I have seen Stacy & Witbeck trucks [[construction manager for M-1) multiple times where work has been going on.

There's been utility identification and relocation work going on. I would like to see something a little more noticeable though...

It IS pretty peculiar.

It's supposedly opening in Q4 2016.

Cincinatti has a similar in scope project [[3.6 v 3.1), that will be opening in Q3 2016.

They started work back in [[at least) December and and even back then they were this far along

It might mean absolutely nothing, but the math....she ain't adding up captain.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    It IS pretty peculiar.
    You mention that it is similar in scope, but I'm wondering if you mean that the final product is similar in scope...or if the work needed to be done is similar in scope?

I know nothing about rail and very little about construction. But according to the website [[http://m-1rail.com/construction/) almost all the work right now has been about infrastructure/utility relocation.

I'm not sure if the Cinci project had as much to do. If they did, then perhaps the math isn't adding up. But if they didn't...or if we just don't know....it might be premature to sound the alarm bells.

That actually looks fairly well along...just looking at it I would say they're ready to pour concrete...

It is my understanding that Cincinnati's will be essentially a street-car version of the DPM - a 3-mile [[ish) loop. Basically, it looks like it will effectively service about 1 1/4 miles of downtown

I wonder if this project is moving at a snails pace so it could be halted at anytime and cancelled due to cost that the state had tacked on.It aappear to me that Snyder and others are not a big fan of any form of light rail.Woodward is a state road.

It IS pretty peculiar.

Cincinatti has a similar in scope project [[3.6 v 3.1), that will be opening in Q3 2016.

They started work back in [[at least) December and and even back then they were this far along

What else is supposed to be done 4th quarter, 2016 along the route?

I heard they decided to use the manpower and funding to speed up the I-96 project in Livonia.

It IS pretty peculiar.

Nope, Cincinnati's utility relocation started back in 2012.

1.3. Utility Relocation

1.3.1. Water
    Utility Relocation work began at the project groundbreaking on February 17, 2012, with the commencement of water main relocation work in OTR by Greater Cincinnati Water Works [[GCWW). This work was completed in June 2013. MPD will perform water main relocation work in the CBD as part of the civil construction contract.

1.3.2. Sewer
    MPD will perform relocation of sewer manholes and mains as part of the civil construction contract. This work began along Elm Street in OTR during the week of August 19. Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati [[MSDGC) will perform structural lining of sewer lines that will remain in place. The contract for this work will be awarded by MSDGC in September 2013.

1.3.3. Electric
    Duke Energy will perform relocation of manholes and electric lines throughout the Phase 1A route. This work began during the week of June 17 along Walnut Street from Central Parkway to Second Street in the CBD. The Walnut Street work has proceeded well with few complications and was completed in August 2013. Underground electric relocation work along 12th Street in OTR is expected to begin in early September and be complete by July 2014.

1.3.4. Gas
    Duke Energy will perform relocation of gas lines throughout the Phase 1A route. This work began in mid-July along Elm Street between 12th and Liberty Streets in OTR. The completion of this work is a predecessor to MPD’s commencement of sewer and track work along the Elm Street corridor. This gas work along Elm Street is expected to be complete by the end of September 2013.

1.3.5. Telephone
    Cincinnati Bell Telephone [[CBT) will perform relocation of telephone utilities throughout the Phase 1a route. This work began in February 2013 with the relocation of various manholes throughout the route. Relocation of CBT facilities in OTR is expected to begin in September 2013 and be complete by December 2013.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/streetc...56/showMeta/0/

Cincinnati has roughly a 8-month head start. However, M-1 will [[should?) make up some ground on the back end, as the rail project will be done with the Woodward reconstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Nope, Cincinnati's utility relocation started back in 2012.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/streetc...56/showMeta/0/

Cincinnati has roughly a 8-month head start. However, M-1 will [[should?) make up some ground on the back end, as the rail project will be done with the Woodward reconstruction.
    While Cincinnati had an 8 month head start; Detroit had a ten year had start in planning. Woodward should be torn up by now and not just little patch jobs here and there. I know that Woodward is a State street controlled by Snyder who had given the appearance that he doesn't support any form of mass transit outside of some ragtag busses for Detroit. I had said many of times on this site that the construction of the lightrail will not start during the said time for some excuse may come up. Many thought that I was a naysayer or crazy. I had been right all of those times. I am not a psychic or have a crystal ball. I just look at the patterns of how this city operate. Now there was a water leak or something yesterday on Woodward. Anything to prolong the construction of this light rail and Gilbert and everyone would say "Lets just do the rapid busses. I had always looked at those who would lose if there was a serious mass transportation system in Michigan. The Oil company in Michigan, the auto companies, insurance companies, owners of parking structures and lots around the downtown, midtown, airport, and other areas, and other automobile related shops and companies that will seen a decline in business if Michiganders as well as Detroiters started using Mass Transit and leave their cars at home or stop purchasing cars. Find out who is funding Snyder's and any other candidates who are running for office campaign. You will see the tune that these politricksters dance to

Total construction of Woodward may not even happen this year. I still think that everything could be a smokescreen. If it does start then I will stand corrected.