Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What are the best charities in Detroit that benefit youth?

I have been a supporter of PAL for a while and would like to find more charities that work directly with the kids in Detroit giving them summer and after school activities. Music, dance academics anything that inspires young minds to have hopes and dreams for their future. Could we list of a few that the folks on these boards know are successful in those endeavors? Thanks in advance.

Judge Mathis has an organization, there is also that place that was created as a result of Super Bowl XL and, of course, Focus/Hope

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I have been a supporter of PAL for a while and would like to find more charities that work directly with the kids in Detroit giving them summer and after school activities. Music, dance academics anything that inspires young minds to have hopes and dreams for their future. Could we list of a few that the folks on these boards know are successful in those endeavors? Thanks in advance.
    Regardless of your religious affiliations, may God bless you for caring about our youth.There are just too many orgs that involve kids for me to list

I don't know anything about them, but this organization seems like a potential fit for what you are looking for. City Camp Detroit http://www.detroitsummercamp.com/donate My daughter applied for a job there, so that is how I became aware. On the other hand, the US Federal Government is by far the largest charity. if you pay taxes, you are supporting children in Detroit, as well as across the globe. You can always send them extra tax money, but I don't think you can tell them where to spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Regardless of your religious affiliations, may God bless you for caring about our youth.There are just too many orgs that involve kids for me to list
    Sumas, could you list a few for me? My responses were a little underwhelming. I would like to find some new charities whose primary focus is on after school activities as well as summer time. Google searches tend to bring up the larger established charities. I would like some new ideas so I could make more donations closer to home.

I would suggest the Georgia St. Community Garden.Georgia Street Community Garden - Detroit, MI
    I think it's a great project. I like donating to groups like these because the money goes directly to the project itself, not high paid CEO's with huge offices etc.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I would suggest the Georgia St. Community Garden.Georgia Street Community Garden - Detroit, MI
    I think it's a great project. I like donating to groups like these because the money goes directly to the project itself, not high paid CEO's with huge offices etc.
    That is a wonderful suggestion. I took my area kids there Easter Saturday. The event was a pure pleasure. So many area families and kids getting so much fun. We have donated in a modest way since its start up. They have a clever web site if you want to see all they do. I fell in love with the turkey, never knew they had bluish faces,

Sorry having one of those senior moments, I have about 4 other programs I'd like to promote just can't recall names at the moment. My husband and I are disabled but live frugal. We will support any program that promotes kids.

Sorry for my slant towards arts and culture, but

Mosiac Youth Theatre
    Matrix Theatre Company
    Sphinx Organization

are all good orgs that do a lot of work with kids in the city.

Of course, there's also the YMCA, and I understand you said you were looking for smaller orgs. But you can also see if the larger orgs have programs that fit your desire and you could restrict your donations specifically to that program.

You could also call the Community Foundation for Southeastern Michigan and ask if they have any funds meeting your interests.

I know there are a lot I'm not thinking of at the moment. I'll post more after my brain thaws.

Mosaic is awesome too. There is a cultural center whose name evades on the far westside. Still in my senior moment.

Ninety-six Detroit youth organizations partnered last year to put 2,000 kids in summer jobs and provide them with related training and supports through the Grow Detroit's Young Talent program [[www.growdetroitsyoungtalent.org). You can contribute support through the project's management organization, City Connect Detroit, which I highly recommend.