Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Relocating to Detroit - Where to

Have an opportunity for a job, that is actually in Canada - So i'd be commuting every day but want to stay state side. So based off what I've googled so far it's Grosse Pointe / surrounding... But thought this group could weigh in. Realizing anywhere I choose is going to be a commute- I don't think I could transition our family into metro.

two kids and wife and we'd be coming from rural South Dakota. Quite a change.

So here are all the things we'd love to know exist.

Good Schools, Colleges that have a post secondary psychology program for my wife, decent space to lease for her yoga/massage/mindfulness business, low crime obv, bjj/mma gym, decent food joints, - and just generally a nice place to live like everybody wants...

We're 1/2 hippy, 1/2 greedy capitalist pigs. Where to we go?

Thx Detroit,

M

Quote Originally Posted by mj1612 View Post
    Have an opportunity for a job, that is actually in Canada - So i'd be commuting every day but want to stay state side. So based off what I've googled so far it's Grosse Pointe / surrounding... But thought this group could weigh in. Realizing anywhere I choose is going to be a commute- I don't think I could transition our family into metro.

two kids and wife and we'd be coming from rural South Dakota. Quite a change.

So here are all the things we'd love to know exist.

Good Schools, Colleges that have a post secondary psychology program for my wife, decent space to lease for her yoga/massage/mindfulness business, low crime obv, bjj/mma gym, decent food joints, - and just generally a nice place to live like everybody wants...

We're 1/2 hippy, 1/2 greedy capitalist pigs. Where to we go?

Thx Detroit,

M
    With kids in tow, your best bet is probably Grosse Pointe Park, especially with its proximity to the Canadian border. I actually have 2 friends that just moved from South Dakota into Grosse Pointe Park earlier this year. They don't have kids, though, and they're already thinking about moving into Midtown and Downtown since that's where they spend most of their free time.

Not say that Rapid City = Sioux Falls or that all S. Dakotans are the same...but if you'd like to hear what they think from a perspective that might relate to yours, let me know I can put you in touch.

Best, CTY

I'm kind of amazed with how much we send people to Grosse Pointe Park on here. Then again, I think about it, and I'm not.

"Good Schools, Colleges that have a post secondary psychology program for my wife, decent space to lease for her yoga/massage/mindfulness business, low crime obv, bjj/mma gym, decent food joints, - and just generally a nice place to live like everybody wants... "

Aside from the college part, there's extremely few places in our sprawling Metro that offer this pleasant lifestyle he is describing outside of the Pointes. Mostly you're given a choice between blight or strip malls.

I don't think his comment included the original poster's status of being a US citizen. Traditionally, there have been quite a few Canuckistanis living in Windsor and commuting to US factories for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I don't think his comment included the original poster's status of being a US citizen. Traditionally, there have been quite a few Canuckistanis living in Windsor and commuting to US factories for work.
    It's been deleted but his comment said that Americans were living in Canada to escape the high crime in Detroit. I know it's possible for Canadians to commute across the border for work and vice-versa. But no American is living in Canada and commuting to the U.S. unless they have special circumstances beyond just wanting to live somewhere "safe."

Welcome to Detroit-Windsor if it happens. If you are working in Canada daily, and considering the commute particularly with the vagaries of the border, I would consider Windsor first with a nod to Walkerville for community, good and affordable housing. You will have all all that you ask for above plus being just minutes away for all the excitement of Downtown Detroit and things American, if that is a need.

If on the American side, and the bridge is going to be your main crossing, Corktown is a decent option. It is up and coming, has a good community basis and is a easy shot to the bridge and adjacent to downtown.

Can we please keep the conversation to answering the newcomer's questions and avoid personal spats. Thank you.

Ann Arbor.......

I would definitely recommend Grosse Pointe Park. I am a native and dedicated Detroiter but GPP would provide all you might want. Good schools, great riverfront Parks, local shopping. It is a very nice community and your commute would not be long.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It's been deleted but his comment said that Americans were living in Canada to escape the high crime in Detroit. I know it's possible for Canadians to commute across the border for work and vice-versa. But no American is living in Canada and commuting to the U.S. unless they have special circumstances beyond just wanting to live somewhere "safe."
    Well I guess there's a lot of special circumstances one can use beyond saying they want to live somewhere safe because I personally know a lot of Americans that commute.

Default The Other Border

Living in Tijuana and working in San Diego is very popular here in San Diego. Many Americans have simply given up on the high cost of living in San Diego, and exchange the extra jingle in their pockets for the trek across the border.
    The SENTRI line is quicker but its not for everyone.
    Downtown San Diego would be a minimum of $800.00 a month for a dump downtown, more like $1000.00 and that would be nothing to write home about.
    Seriously thinking about it...

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...entri-overview

Birmingham and Rochester would fit the bill perfectly except your commute would probably be about 45 mins to over an hour on the worst days. Grosse Pointes are nice and "safe". Midtown and downtown Detroit are improving considerably, but I'm not sure how convenient it would be to raise kids there. Ann Arbor appeals to both greedy capitalists and hippies and would meet all your requirements except your commute time.

Where in Canada. If it is not in downtown Windsor, living near Port Huron and using the Blue Water Bridge might be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Where in Canada. If it is not in downtown Windsor, living near Port Huron and using the Blue Water Bridge might be a possibility.
    To answer your question - Chatham-Kent.

It's quite a commute but staying state side I think works more financially. Not against going full Canadian if it works out better that way. A few of the employees at this company commute from Detroit - at first I thought it seemed a little long but it's really not much longer than my commutes here because of geographical distance.

And I appreciate all the comments back - greatly.
    Far from certainty that the gig is happening - just doing as much research ahead of time as possible and this forum seemed to have the most activity.

GP / Surrounding real estate seems priced right. Only a few pockets of properties I'd stay away from. Prop Taxes seem outrageous, but that could just be what I'm seeing so far.

Mid/Downtown I think is out - I want to keep as much rural in the fam life as humanly possible with a transition like this.

I suppose finding good fly fishing trout streams is a pipe dream? Happy to replace it with bass fly fishing.

Regarding weather - how brutal are the winters among those lakes ? Don't get me wrong - SD weathers are awful - but not looking to trade them for something worse.

Once again appreciate all the comments! Even the snarky trolling ones!

Our past winter was very snowy but nothing impossible. We have delightful neighbors that shoveled us out. They take our trash bins out too.

In Michigan you are never far from water. Fishing is good. Windmill Pointe Park has a fishing pier and a nice Marina in GPP. Me, I guess I am just a ghetto girl and like Mariners Park in Detroit. I am sticking with you would like GPP.

You will find Canadians and folk in the D to be very embracive.

Good luck with your job and house hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mj1612 View Post
    To answer your question - Chatham-Kent.

It's quite a commute but staying state side I think works more financially. Not against going full Canadian if it works out better that way. A few of the employees at this company commute from Detroit - at first I thought it seemed a little long but it's really not much longer than my commutes here because of geographical distance.

And I appreciate all the comments back - greatly.
    Far from certainty that the gig is happening - just doing as much research ahead of time as possible and this forum seemed to have the most activity.

GP / Surrounding real estate seems priced right. Only a few pockets of properties I'd stay away from. Prop Taxes seem outrageous, but that could just be what I'm seeing so far.

Mid/Downtown I think is out - I want to keep as much rural in the fam life as humanly possible with a transition like this.

I suppose finding good fly fishing trout streams is a pipe dream? Happy to replace it with bass fly fishing.

Regarding weather - how brutal are the winters among those lakes ? Don't get me wrong - SD weathers are awful - but not looking to trade them for something worse.

Once again appreciate all the comments! Even the snarky trolling ones!
    Wow, if you've got a job in Chatham-Kent, you should consider moving to downtown Chatham. Don't be deterred by it's small population. It's where many of the elites in Ontario lived a century ago. James Couzens was born there in 1872. He moved to Detroit and was one of the founders of the Ford Motor Company and Henry Ford bought out his shares in 1919 for $30m. He later became president of the Bank of Detroit, Mayor of Detroit, and a US Senator for Michigan.

Downtown Chatham has hundreds of beautiful red brick Victorian mansions from those elites. They have a two story mall. Every major franchise. There is still a lot of old money there keeping it alive. Imagine Gross Pointe only many times better. It's probably one of the nicest historical cities in Ontario IMO and it has everything and the real estate is still one of the cheapest in Ontario. Dollar for dollar and bang for buck, you can't beat it with anything in metro Detroit. I go down there every couple months to just walk around and enjoy the old architecture and visit some of the antique stores.

Second to that, I'd say check out real estate in Lighthouse Cove in Chatham-Kent. Very reasonably priced waterfront property either along Lake St. Claire or one of its many canals and it has a very strong boating community. There are still plenty of empty parcels there where you can build your own mansion.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay in Canada.

If you live in Michigan, you will have to cross the Border every day. Even with an expedited permit, the approaches to your fast-pass booth can be long and tedious on both sides. Couple that wait with quite a hefty commute and you may regret living Stateside.

I have grown up in Chatham and currently live in Lighthouse Cove so please let me know if you have any specific questions. Chatham is a nice town with low living costs and housing is plentiful. Check out mls.ca to search for houses. I live in Lighthouse Cove and I love it but the two drawbacks would be it is mainly a retirement community so there are less kids to meet and the drive to Chatham is 25 minutes and the road can be a little treacherous in the winter. I know of a few people that commute to michigan for work but they are usually nurses who work for a few days and stay in michigan while they work otherwise it would be a tough commute from any parts of michigan everyday. Let me know if I can help and welcome to Chatham Kent.

If you're really looking "to keep as much rural in the fam life as humanly possible" and actually living in Canada isn't a total dealbreaker, you might also consider the more rustic sections of Essex County or Chatham-Kent. Essex County outside of the immediate Windsor area is the closest real countryside to Detroit.

Real estate is still pretty reasonable [[albeit with somewhat higher Canadian taxes & costs), and if you lived somewhere near the 401 corridor or the south shore of Lake St. Clair [[which is beautiful) your commute to the Chatham area would be much easier, while still leaving you within quick traveling distance of Detroit and the U.S.

As a bonus, 401 is being extended right now through the west side of Windsor. And the new bridge it's being extended to meet may actually be built some day! [[But in any event it will make the connection to the existing bridge a bit faster.)

I'd definitely suggest moving to the Chatham area as others have suggested. Great houses up there too. I made this commute when I was younger regularly as I had friends in Chatham.

This will not be a regular commute; the tunnel and bridge can be clogged at the most inopportune times, and after a few times of dealing with Border Patrol, you'd wish you didn't have to cross.

How about Grosse Ile? I recommend this for the following:
    • It's in America
    • It combines the rich lifestyle of Grosse Pointe with a somewhat rural atmosphere [[sans Grosse Pointe's retail, but at least there's always downtown Wyandotte, the corner of West & Allen Roads and Southland Center)
    • You're still minutes from what Detroit has to offer

However, one disadvantage is included as well-right now, it takes 90 minutes [[sans border wait time) to go from Grosse Ile to Chatham [[via I-75 from West Road to the Ambassador Bridge).

GUSHI Guest

Shelby twp

I appreciate your loyalty to US, but commutes can be a real bitch. Canada is a great country with lots to offer. Very decent housing, good schools, safety etc. A nice place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Shelby twp
    Really? Commuting to Chatham?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast