Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ficano is Running Again

I can't even begin to understand A) How he thinks he can win, and B) How anyone could even sign a petition to get him on the ballot again. The very best case scenario for his tenure is that he was so managerially inept that hundreds of millions of dollars were misspent, often lining the pockets of friends, political supporters and favored businesses. The worst case scenario, and the one that I would bet my testicles is true, is that he is the leader of an actual organized conspiracy to swindle money from the taxpayers.

Favored staff got sweetheart contracts [[Turkia, of course, but also his staffer that gets the $96k pension for life- he's in his early forties- for several years service); he should have been watching the jail project so that we didn't spend almost $200M to NOT build a jail; various friends and family of his and his cronies continue to receive contracts or are involved in lucrative property transactions with the county. He is an embarrassment and likely a future resident of a state or federal prison.

The good news for Republicans is that because there is a crowded primary field for the Democrats, it's possible that the winner could need only 20 or 25% of the vote. If that turns out to be Ficano, the shameless destroyer that he is, wins the primary, the GOP candidate will have a real chance for the first time in ages.

I am curious how other Democrats will treat Ficano. Will Mark Schauer want to campaign with him? Will Duggan or Gary Peters make an endorsement in the primary? Will they support Ficano if he wins the primary? Major ethics vs politics question for Democrats to deal with.

The guy is like an STD. He just won't go away. It's always bad to have him and some times the bad really flares up.

i dont get why the democrats want to keep this guy around?

will the republicans run someone against him?

anyone but ficano. of course that could end up even worse but i'm willing to chance it.

I'm voting for William Wild for County Executive. He's done a great job in Westland as Mayor.

I am pretty sure there will be a republican ticket or a democrat ticket in the primary. I don't really know for sure as around here it seems that there is only one ticket: the dems.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I can't even begin to understand A) How he thinks he can win, and B) How anyone could even sign a petition to get him on the ballot again. Will Duggan or Gary Peters make an endorsement in the primary? Will they support Ficano if he wins the primary? Major ethics vs politics question for Democrats to deal with.
    He's delusional. I can't see Duggan, Schauer, or anyone associating their name with his. NPR gave him some airtime a while back. He went on about how he has the expertise to straighten out the budget. I got the impression he really doesn't think his follies were any big deal.

Default How do we get rid of him...?

A year or two back there was talk of a lawsuit or recall... but it never went anywhere.
    What can actually be done? [[beyond voting for anyone other than Ficano) I'd really like to see some constructive ideas posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    What can actually be done? [[beyond voting for anyone other than Ficano) I'd really like to see some constructive ideas posted.
    What else needs to be done? If you don't like the guy, vote him out of office. Why would any further action be necessary?

Please vote HELL NO on Ficano. The Failure Wayne County Jail Project was the last draw!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    I'm voting for William Wild for County Executive. He's done a great job in Westland as Mayor.
    I agree, I'm supporting William Wild for Wayne County Commissioner.

GUSHI Guest

He will win, it's Wayne county after all.

I don't see what all of the whining is about.

If majority of Wayne County voters feel Robert Ficano is awful, they'll vote him out.

It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    What else needs to be done? If you don't like the guy, vote him out of office. Why would any further action be necessary?
    I was ready to help gather signatures to throw his ass out, but the petition drive never materialized. Sometimes it takes a little more "action" than just voting... like supporting another candidate's organization with flyers, signs, footwork. I was just wondering, if anyone hears of anything please bring it here and share it.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

If majority of Wayne County voters feel Robert Ficano is awful, they'll vote him out.

It's really that simple.
    I agree that voting him out is the solution. But this is a forum for venting our thoughts about local issues. If you haven't heard, there have been a few issues locally involving both corruption and financial hardship for our localities. Aside from our esteemed former mayor, the Wayne County exec's office has been the other hotbed of corruption and mismanagement. That makes it a relevant topic of discussion here. And I will certainly not hesitate to encourage anyone who will listen to vote for somebody else. Getting competent, honest, efficient government in our county is as important as having a mayor with the same characteristics. Voting him out can't come soon enough. If he had any shame [[and, no, he doesn't) he would apologize and resign.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    He will win, it's Wayne county after all.
    I doubt it. I think even our normally permissive local voters have soured on corruption and mismanagement. I think he would be stoned in Campus Martius if there were taxpayers, stones and no police nearby.

I doubt it. I think even our normally permissive local voters have soured on corruption and mismanagement. I think he would be stoned in Campus Martius if there were taxpayers, stones and no police nearby.
    DPD are experts @ looking the other way.

I'm surprised that he is actually running again. He will be blown out in the primary.

GUSHI Guest

we shall see,

My mind is made up. I will vote NO, NO, NO, in FicaNO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post

anyone but ficano. of course that could end up even worse but i'm willing to chance it.
    I wonder if Bing is still "exploring" a run for county exec? Voters need to do a little more due diligence than "anyone but..."

I can't even begin to understand A) How he thinks he can win, and B) How anyone could even sign a petition to get him on the ballot again....
    Clearly he's of the opinion he's appointed all the right people to all the right places and paid off all the right pastors. I too would think he wouldn't make it out of the primary....but its going to depend on the name recognition and amount of payola a challenger can spread around.

Come on people... lets not be simpletons about the "just vote him out of office" spiel... it's not that simple, and I'm surprised so many have forgotten the Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick scenario soon after her "Y'alls Boy" gaffe. During the primary she was against 2 others [[IIRC it was Mary Waters and Brenda Scott)... and guess what... she got a higher number of votes than either the other 2 [[although the other 2 running got a higher combined count). It wasn't until 2 years after that when only 1 major candidate was running, that she finally lost for re-election. So let's not be so presumptive to automatically assume that Ficano cannot win again!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

It's really that simple.
    Take a look at Warren and Jim Fouts. An overwhelming majority of voters love him, but anyone that actually pays attention to politics knows how bad he is for the city.

I don't think that Ficano will be re-elected, so maybe we can take satisfaction that he and people that support him will be flushing their money down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Come on people... lets not be simpletons about the "just vote him out of office" spiel... it's not that simple, and I'm surprised so many have forgotten the Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick scenario soon after her "Y'alls Boy" gaffe. During the primary she was against 2 others [[IIRC it was Mary Waters and Brenda Scott)... and guess what... she got a higher number of votes than either the other 2 [[although the other 2 running got a higher combined count). It wasn't until 2 years after that when only 1 major candidate was running, that she finally lost for re-election. So let's not be so presumptive to automatically assume that Ficano cannot win again!
    I read somewhere that four others were running.

Wayne County Commissioner Kevin McNamara
    Westland Mayor William Wild
    State Rep. Phil Cavanagh
    Sigmunt Szczepkowski [[not sure who he is, or where he came from)

And now a 5th candidate...
    Former Detroit Police Chief Warren Evans

sounds like a sure thing to split the vote