Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Mollie Mitchell, formerly of Tartine + new partner open spot on eastside this spring

full disclosure:: a friend of a friend of a friend is working to open this place.

i think the location is a bit edgy - meaning that it is not part of any development strip [[ like the jefferson / chalmers area ) but its another positive step in breathing life back into a neighborhood.

there is a kickstarter attached to the article - but i'm posting this more as information rather than a “pass the hat around” request. if you’re going to belle isle from the east side they are offering locally sourced, picnic basket lunches, etc. once they open.

http://detroit.eater.com/archives/20...ic-baskets.php
    Last edited by edgar_rhode; April-18-14 at 09:37 PM. Reason: commentor suggested better headline

Neither your post, nor the Eater article, gives the actual location, which is Jefferson & Harding, not too far from Sindbad's, between Pewabic and the post office. That certainly is a rather 'iffy' location, although the place that was in there before [[Kolonja) did seem to do OK for quite a while [[the place was Elmo's in a previous life too, I believe).

When I first saw the picture of the building I first thought it was the very similar one down by Jefferson & Mt. Elliott [[which is now an Enterprise car rental, I think). That would at least be on the way to BI from downtown & the freeways. I'm not sure how much traffic they will catch at Jefferson & Harding, or how much what it sounds like they intend to sell will appeal to potential customers in the nearby neighborhoods. But we will certainly welcome them to the neighborhood and wish them all the best.

Oh my! Mollie Mitchell was a baker at Tartine! That's one of the most famous artisinal bakeries in America! I have the Tartine books and I can't wait to see this place. I will be there a lot!

Edgar, you should maybe ask Admin if youcan change the thE thread title like: "Mollie Mitchell, formerly of Tartine, and new partner open spot on Jefferson this spring".That title would draw posters -and support.

These girls are gutsy and strong. I like their work ethic and I think that the fact they chose that spot to do business on over a downtown hole-in-the-wall is to their credit. It is amazing how humans can contribute just by making uncanny and unpredictable moves and give hope to others.

They also decided on a no-frills approach, a survivalist ethic of sorts, to deliver on their promise to the surrounding community. We are often torn between the soup kitchen provider and the billionaire promoter on these threads. I hope this kind of simplicity can become a model of efficiency in the future of Detroit versus the Jack-in-the-Box sameness that many decry.

swmap :: thanks. i amended the title base on the character limits and thanks for the comments.

EastsideAl :: yeah, that building has seen a few owners in my time. i hope this new venture can help seed some growth in that area. time will tell.