Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I call em as I see them.

Spent 3 hours on the jewel today taking in the spring. Considering that the state is now running the show I would have thought that they would have wanted to hit the ground running and start mowing early. Nothing had a blade taken to it except the par 3 course. Now they have to buzz the whole island this week, I hope that's what they had in mind from the beginning.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-04-14 at 08:03 PM.

Got an e-mail from MDOT today. Looks like busting up bathrooms ain't just a Detroit thing anymore.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    MONDAY, MAY 5, 2014
    Kari Arend, MDOT Office of Communications, 517-750-0406, arendk@michigan.gov
    Nick Schirripa, MDOT Office of Communications, 269-337-3927, schirripan@michigan.gov

MDOT says repairs under way at vandalized rest areas
    May 5, 2014 -- The Michigan Department of Transportation [[MDOT) wants travelers to know that most of the Michigan rest areas vandalized over the weekend remain open and operable.

The damage involves cracked or smashed urinals, toilets and sinks in the men's rest rooms at four locations, including westbound I-94 in Galesburg, westbound I-94 in Marshall, westbound I-94 in Grass Lake, and the Dundee Welcome Center on northbound US-23.

Most of the affected facilities have two sets of men's and two sets of women's rest rooms. MDOT is converting one of women's rest rooms to a men's rest room at all of the locations except Grass Lake to make them temporarily accessible to men while repairs are under way. The rest area on westbound I-94 in Grass Lake is closed temporarily until repairs can be made. MDOT expects it will take several days to obtain enough new fixtures to reopen the Grass Lake Rest Area.

"This senseless vandalism is deplorable because it wastes state resources and taxpayer dollars on something that never should have happened," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "At a time when MDOT is working hard to stretch severely limited funding to keep state road pavement in good condition, we are being forced to spend time and money restoring facilities we take pride in maintaining for the safety and convenience of motorists."

The Michigan State Police [[MSP) is investigating. Anyone with information about this vandalism is urged to call the MSP Coldwater Post at 517-278-2373.

MDOT is gathering information and cost estimates to determine the total cost of repairing or replacing the damage at all four affected facilities. A ballpark estimate is $33,000 for repairs, including $25,000 in materials [[toilets, urinals, sinks and miscellaneous hardware) and $8,000 in labor and equipment costs for cleaning up the damage, removing the damaged fixtures, picking up new fixtures, and installing new fixtures. The funding will come from MDOT's maintenance budget, already strained by above-average pothole repairs and winter-related expenditures. On average, MDOT spends $88 million on winter maintenance; this winter, it spent $127 million.
    ###

Roadway Work Zone Safety - We're All in This Together.

www.michigan.gov/drive | www.twitter.com/MichiganDOT | www.facebook.com/MichiganDOT

who smashes a toilet? aint that a damn shame.

the restrooms are open in royal oak parks since a few weeks now. yay.

I assume the it's the same vandals that destroyed a South Haven city restroom.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...attered_i.html

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    who smashes a toilet? aint that a damn shame.
    My working theory blames the folks who got extraordinary ovations for their bowel movements as infants from their scat-loving parents, getting angry when folks don't cheer for their accomplishments later in life.

I'd say find the perps, and send them to a prison cell with a smashed toilet.

I was on the island today doing volunteer work. I hope the state realizes that many are watching closely AND that this weekend is a holiday weekend so start mowing the GRASS like NOW!!!!

When is the city supposed to start cutting the grass all over? The medians on Mound are starting to look like a prairie with all the rain we've had.

Just stumbled across the Detroit Recreation Department Belle Isle Master Plan - revised 2005. Only 248 million in 2005 dollars. Cost aside, this would be totally awesome. Just saying...Hello...State of Michigan...

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...erPlan2005.pdf

I was on the island a few weeks back and they were cutting the grass and a lot of brush was cut. I also saw them cleaning out the sewers. They are indeed trying and from what I've heard, this was the first sewer clean out in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I was on the island a few weeks back and they were cutting the grass and a lot of brush was cut. I also saw them cleaning out the sewers. They are indeed trying and from what I've heard, this was the first sewer clean out in ages.

I wonder what interesting items were found in there.

"This thread is beginning to smell like Midtowne at high noone." Gen. David Windsor Esq. Circa 1780.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I see very little change other than increased law enforcement presence and exercise. Grass was belately mowed in many parts. Drinking fountain at the handball courts has never been turned on. The city always scored in that minute effort.

Still giving them time to adjust but so far the upkeep is mediocre at the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wonder what interesting items were found in there.
    Used condoms. Lots and lots of used condoms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3