Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ My comment was in regards to her saying she uses an inhaler for asthma. Not her living near the incinerator.
    Ok, I wasn't sure.

When I first read it, as seemed as if you were attributing your asthma to living near the incinerator.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I thought sumas lived near Belle Isle and Indian Village [[I have family who lives in that same area)?

That is the lower east side and not far from downtown, but it's not quite near the incinerator [[I-94 and I-75) either.
    I live in Islandview Village, a community I love. No one exactly knows why so Detroiters suffer asthma.

I know what Zacha means about familiarity. I am a life long eastsider. I know my way around, where to go and not go. I like the westside and frankly folks there have more fashion sense. I like southwest Detroit the best. My husband was westside, Junction near livernois, what used to be heavily Polish. Met in the middle at WSU. But I am shirty and we stayed eastside to be close to my family.

Shirty, I just love that made up word. Too fun, swearing without swearing. We dedicated 7 yrs of our lives to care for my mother who passed at age 91. But I am an evil bitch apparently. She lived in EEV. So I do have current knowledge of the community. I have written and published a hard covered book of history regarding the east side but I am told I make no sense. We do tours and lectures, always sold out, but this board has decreed I am an idiot. I got a creepy letter sent to my home where my crabby posts got culled and published on ........ so I am cyber stalked and they made sure I knew it. Now I am called bipolar. Wow!

EEV is a great place to live but don't believe me.

Shirty is not a made up word:
    English definition of “shirty”

shirty
    annoyed or angry, especially in a rude way:Don't get shirty with me - this is your fault, not mine.adjective UK informal

[[Definition of shirty adjective from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Shirty is not a made up word:
    Thank you, interesting info.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Shirty, I just love that made up word. Too fun, swearing without swearing. We dedicated 7 yrs of our lives to care for my mother who passed at age 91. But I am an evil bitch apparently. She lived in EEV. So I do have current knowledge of the community. I have written and published a hard covered book of history regarding the east side but I am told I make no sense. We do tours and lectures, always sold out, but this board has decreed I am an idiot. I got a creepy letter sent to my home where my crabby posts got culled and published on ........ so I am cyber stalked and they made sure I knew it. Now I am called bipolar. Wow!

Dont worry Sumas!

Your posts make sense to me. Your humanity but also your reason shows through. I can easily imagine how much of your daily worries and joys can jar some and how it can be a balancing act for you to judge the tough love aspects of Detroit. Keep on informing us and inspiring us. Honky Tonk is a great contributor, he also feels for the city and its plight; and he is more questioning than I am from afar I guess...

I think 6 posts out of 81 in this thread were actually about East English Village.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think 6 posts out of 81 in this thread were actually about East English Village.
    To be fair, it's rare that a thread on DYES ever remains on topic aside from a handful of posts.

To be fair, it's rare that a thread on DYES ever remains on topic aside from a handful of posts.
    Yes but around 70 of the posts on this thread were Honky Tonk making fun of sumas' prescriptions or some bullshit.

I can stay on topic. EEV is a very nice community. Great community leadership. Nice housing stock. Three of my close relatives live there. Decent choices for schools both public and private. If I didn't love my home I would no doubt invest back into EEV.

Yes but around 70 of the posts on this thread were Honky Tonk making fun of sumas' prescriptions or some bullshit.Let's be fair to HT, who appears to valiantly try to stay on topic. HT never talked about his kids, his sister his inhalers, his Mother, his alma mater, his charming neighbors - not once.
    I did a little survey and count that HT posted 10 times on this thread. In contrast, Sumas posted 22 times.
    Sometimes its just not worth it after derail-ers get on. Some people are always worried about "trolls," and they should be worried about whether they are making substantive contributions or just rattling on about their personal lives.

But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe discussion threads aren’t supposed to be about issues and topics.

How much of that book did you write? If memory serves me correctly, that book was written primarily by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Yes but around 70 of the posts on this thread were Honky Tonk making fun of sumas' prescriptions or some bullshit.Let's be fair to HT, who appears to valiantly try to stay on topic. HT never talked about his kids, his sister his inhalers, his Mother, his alma mater, his charming neighbors - not once.
    I did a little survey and count that HT posted 10 times on this thread. In contrast, Sumas posted 22 times.
    Sometimes its just not worth it after derail-ers get on. Some people are always worried about "trolls," and they should be worried about whether they are making substantive contributions or just rattling on about their personal lives.

But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe discussion threads aren’t supposed to be about issues and topics.

Maybe the fact is she is close to the area, and cares about it more than many here helps to understand.

She is an older person as she often likes to remind us... for a reason.

I think talking about a neighborhood is a lot like talking about ourselves isnt it?

I also like that sumas isnt a 100% positive, but that she isnt submerged by the negative apsects of life in a tough nut like Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Dont worry Sumas!

Your posts make sense to me. Your humanity but also your reason shows through. I can easily imagine how much of your daily worries and joys can jar some and how it can be a balancing act for you to judge the tough love aspects of Detroit. Keep on informing us and inspiring us. Honky Tonk is a great contributor, he also feels for the city and its plight; and he is more questioning than I am from afar I guess...
    I am truly sorry if I expended too much personal info on this forum. As stated, 3 home hospice situations threw me for a loop. I do not feel particularly troubled or put upon, just really enjoyed this outlet and forum. If I am an annoyance I can quietly go away.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    How much of that book did you write? If memory serves me correctly, that book was written primarily by someone else.
    Bull shit every word in that book was written by me or my husband. Research by "that" someone else who took credit. Not a big deal the history is out there now. That is what important.

I'm sure the weird speculator dude who started the thread is extremely disappointed in us.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I'm sure the weird speculator dude who started the thread is extremely disappointed in us.
    Then justice was served. International slumlords are no match for the inscrutable citizens of North America's democracies.

Sumas, I enjoy your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    Sumas, I enjoy your posts.
    Thank you I enjoy this forum. Maybe I will just start a thread on connections take pot shots at Sumas. Maybe then people will stay focused on threads.

I grew up in EEV, originally DEAR and saw how it evolved. I saw what went right and what went wrong. It is just plain and simple a nice community. Detroit is not for everyone as I have said many times. Where ever we have lived we find goodness and kindness. We stay involved. I am Detroit for better or worse. Guess I am being shirty again.

Sumas, I also enjoy reading your posts,, please dont quietly go away,,,
    What I have noticed as a long time poster on this as well as a long time resident of the city of Detroit [[ 1992), is the decline of the type of dialogue and the vocabulary used by many on here anymore,, It seems many on here like to talk to each other on here with little or no respect and profanity abounding.. I mean, really,, as I mentioned before , do you really talk in person like that to people in ones life.. Just not used to it in my own life.. we talk and treat others with respect, even if we dont agree.. Conversations on here were much more civil years before,, but anymore, not so..oh well guess thats the direction many are taking anymore,, anyway, just stay who you are,, your fine.

Besides, what is the point of reading and writing about a neighborhood, a city, a street; if it doesnt contain anecdotal evidence. I dont mind this, I relish it in fact. I mean really, let's not mistake these threads for Rocket Surgery.

I think it's pretty simple. If personal safety and the safety of your family and home is of prime importance you probably shouldn't move to EEV or any neighborhood in Detroit except for Palmer Woods MAYBE.

If you want good city services and decent public schools for you property tax dollars you probably should buy elsewhere.

I can stay on topic. EEV is a very nice community. Great community leadership. Nice housing stock. Three of my close relatives live there. Decent choices for schools both public and private. If I didn't love my home I would no doubt invest back into EEV.
    I like that sentiment. Buy in Detroit! Buy in east side neighborhoods like EEV! Good, neighborly homeowners wanted!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...&v=5IAEcrfn7J8

Then justice was served. International slumlords are no match for the inscrutable citizens of North America's democracies.
    I'm not sure about the international ones but professional landlords / property managers who know what they're doing usually get the last laugh. Not an easy job but they get their revenge at the tellers window when they deposit their checks.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    I like that sentiment. Buy in Detroit! Buy in east side neighborhoods like EEV! Good, neighborly homeowners wanted!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...&v=5IAEcrfn7J8

One thing I noticed in the video was how low the arches in two of the houses were where the guy and girl were standing underneath them.

Either they were both very tall or else the ceilings and doorways pretty low, which is it?

No house for a Piston that's for damn sure.

Cute little homes though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast