Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sumas isn't a troll, she just doesn't like it when people contradict her and gets a little 'shirty" about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    One thing not mentioned is that EEV has a very strong community group with outstanding leadership.
    I'd make a point of attending neighborhood association meetings to get a feel for the community. It should be easy enough to do for a local person who's considering moving there.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikesamin View Post
    Any insight for those who ARE interested in becoming owner-occupants? Not really concerned about schools, but I am interested in safety and community in the neighborhood, convenience to highways/groceries/etc.
    East English Village is well kept neighborhood in Detroit's East Side, but it lost a lot of diversity in the past 20 years. Yes there are some beautiful homes filled with tall trees and garden-like landscape, but looks can be deceiving. Please research about the demographics in that area before you move in. While grew up in Detroit [[which is 82 percent black) every hood in Detroit is a ghetto. I live in those hoods, I grew in those hoods, I go the school in those hoods, I shop in those hoods and even got robbed at gun point in those hoods. No neighborhoods is 100% safe. You're going have to depend on your own security before you can call police. Good luck buying or renting a home in Detroit. I hope you can stay longer and raise your kids there.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Troll", that's funny. Your kids graduated from Finney as well?
    Actually no, try Grosse Pointe South. I have never hid the fact that we left the city for education reasons. Couldn't wait to come home again.

GUSHI Guest

no FAITH IN DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Sumas isn't a troll, she just doesn't like it when people contradict her and gets a little 'shirty" about it.
    Hey who called me a troll. I certainly have strong opinions but am open to contrary views.I love and invest in my city and no doubt I can be "shirty" but my husband still loves me after 42 yrs so I guess I am not so rotten. Oh forgot three dogs who adore me, two successful kids, neighborhood respect, sit on many area boards regarding Detroit and its advancement.

By the way, when I get "shirty" I always apologize. This is a big world and I do appreciate others opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    no FAITH IN DPS
    None! Actually my kids attended Chrysler school in Lafayette Park for elementary, the principal there told me get the hell out of dodge for middle and high school. We listened.

None! Actually my kids attended Chrysler school in Lafayette Park for elementary, the principal there told me get the hell out of dodge for middle and high school. We listened.
    Forgot to mention the principal was a black woman

Actually no, try Grosse Pointe South. I have never hid the fact that we left the city for education reasons. Couldn't wait to come home again.
    So Finney wasn't good enough for your kids, yet you're telling others what a wonderful school it is. Risking being branded as "attacking" you, your posts don't make a lot of sense sometimes.

Rationally speaking, without the pom-pom waving or fear mongering, on a scale of 1-100, 100 being warm and fuzzy, I'd give it 60-70. ANYplace you buy in Detroit, except for maybe Midtown or Downtown, where you'll pay through the nose for not-so-much, it'll take a consolidated effort on the part of the purchaser, and certain precautions, to live here. Lighting, an alarm, [[to alert your neighbors because DPD won't show up) locks, perhaps a weapon, and a general "awareness" of your surroundings. As far as shopping and retaurants, you're going to need a car, or a bike. Most "Detroiters" from that area, go into Grosse Pointe to shop for groceries and dry goods. You'll also have to drive to bigger "chain" stores for purchases. I don't know where you currently live, but I always encourage potential buyers to make numerous trips into the area, to "gas up" @ the corner station, have breakfast @ a local eatery, maybe do some shopping, and get a "real feel" for what you're getting into. There are people that will welcome you with open arms, and others, who'll see you as an intruder and potential victim.
    Almost everything that you wrote wouldn't be specific to Detroit, you could say the same for just about any neighborhood including the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Almost everything that you wrote wouldn't be specific to Detroit, you could say the same for just about any neighborhood including the suburbs.
    I don't know about that. Not too many people from Farmington drive to Grosse Pointe to buy groceries. Sorry, Just trying to answer OP's questions about life in EEV honestly.

So Finney wasn't good enough for your kids, yet you're telling others what a wonderful school it is. Risking being branded as "attacking" you, your posts don't make a lot of sense sometimes.
    Oh I don't feel attacked. Finney doesn't exist any more. Brand new facility and is named East English Academy.

Oh I don't feel attacked. Finney doesn't exist any more. Brand new facility and is named East English Academy.

Is it now a Charter school? [[private school)

Sorry my posts do not make sense, maybe if you tried to actually read them they might.

Sorry my posts do not make sense, maybe if you tried to actually read them they might.

Are you bipolar, or are 2 different people logging in on your ID?

Nope. Actually I am hoping to get a tour. Visually the new school looks impressive. Others in my current community went there too. They want to see its revitalization also.

Are you bipolar, or are 2 different people logging in on your ID?
    If you say so it must be true. Here is what I know. I am a Detroit resident. We/my husband and I have invested heavily in home improvements. Active in community, invest in area children, sending several to camp this summer. I can walk my neighborhood and I am greeted as Miss Su, I get hugs and kisses all the time. I know all my neighbors.

I am a realist, My house is lighted, armed and alarmed. My 3 dogs are pussy cats but would take you to pieces if you threatened me.

I get frustrated with city conditions. I share concerns on the board.

Yep, I am whatever you want to believe

The high school East English Village Preparatory Academy is a Detroit Public School.

Last edited by Zacha341; April-22-14 at 09:09 AM.

If you say so it must be true. Here is what I know. I am a Detroit resident. We/my husband and I have invested heavily in home improvements. Active in community, invest in area children, sending several to camp this summer. I can walk my neighborhood and I am greeted as Miss Su, I get hugs and kisses all the time. I know all my neighbors.

I am a realist, My house is lighted, armed and alarmed. My 3 dogs are pussy cats but would take you to pieces if you threatened me.

I get frustrated with city conditions. I share concerns on the board.

Yep, I am whatever you want to believe
    Yeah, whatever, sumas. Don't forget to take your daily meds.....

^^^ HT, cut it out with these kind of comments. Do we need to go here? Sure, sometimes, we all joke and what not but to assume someone is on medication is a bit much. Cool it, please.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-22-14 at 09:08 AM.

Regarding safety of the area, I think it is relative to what you're accustom to and the neighborhood you establish. I am not an east-sider and tend to feel more comfortable with the west side, mostly because I KNOW it well; know its better areas from the bad areas. I am aware of the buffer areas of the west side and where to go and not go. I am not so certain on the east side. So I'd not likely move there.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-23-14 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ HT, cut it out with these kind of comments. Do we need to go here? Sure, sometimes, we all joke and what not but to assume someone is on medication is a bit much. Cool it, please.
    Thank you Zacha, that was a kind defense. My only med is an inhaler for asthma. A very common condition in Detroit.
    Last edited by sumas; April-22-14 at 10:35 AM.

^^^ For certain. It can't be good to live near the incinerator.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ For certain. It can't be good to live near the incinerator.
    I thought sumas lived near Belle Isle and Indian Village [[I have family who lives in that same area)?

That is the lower east side and not far from downtown, but it's not quite near the incinerator [[I-94 and I-75) either.

^^^ My comment was in regards to her saying she uses an inhaler for asthma. Not her living near the incinerator.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-23-14 at 07:48 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast