Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    When did you go there sumas? 45 years ago?
    Yes dear, rub it in that I am aging. Have nieces , nephews that went too. So WHAT!

Last I looked we do not have mass killings in Detroit schools. It is Easter and I pray that that crap never happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    All of EEV is just fine. I like the area bounded by Cadieux, Warren, Mack and Outer drive best....
    Less than two weeks ago, two people were found shot to death in their apartment, which is located within that area. [source]

It seems like a ton of people are confusing Morningside, East English Village and Cornerstone Village. It can be pretty confusing for someone not from that part of Detroit. EEV is bounded by Cadieux, Harper, Mack and Outer. Morningside is bounded by Outer, Harper, Mack and Alter. Cornerstone Village is bounded by Harper, Moross, Mack, and Cadieux. There really are major differences between these communities, even if the housing styles aren't so different. I grew up in Morningside from my birth in 1945 to 1961 when I was a sophomore in high school. We moved to Harper Woods then. My parents moved into my grandparents house when they died in 1979 and then I moved into that house when my parents died in 1991. I lived in Morningside on Devonshire from 1991-1994. That was a rough time for the neighborhood. I remember it getting worse from year to year. I think EEV is great, though. If you are a property speculator, please move on! This neighborhood is one of my favorite things in Detroit, and it would be a great loss if it got ruined.

Based on what happened to Morningside, the trajectory certainly isn't great for EEV.

Part of EEV's saving grace I think, thus far, has been its proximity to Grosse Pointe and how relatively valuable the architecture of the housing is. Despite Detroit's challenges, the residents of EEV are reluctant to give us on their homes they've invested a ton of money in, and the blow of residing in a Detroit zip code is softened by the fact that they're adjacent to what are still extremely wealthy and prestigious suburbs.

That said, unless the city of Detroit can provide enough evidence to the residents of EEV that it will make a strong enough effort to improve public lighting [[for example, I hear the Detroit side of Mack Avenue is pitch black at night), reduce petty crimes such as burglarly or property theft, and ensure that landlords maintain their properties in accordance with blight ordinances, I think EEV will soon go the way of Morningside and Regent Park/Mohican-Regent.

Once the homeowners lose faith in the neighborhood, renters who have no financial nor emotional stake in the neighborhood then move in. That's usually when it reaches the point of no-return, especially in a region that's shrinking and not creating high-paying jobs that would attract homeowners.

Yes dear, rub it in that I am aging. Have nieces , nephews that went too. So WHAT!

Last I looked we do not have mass killings in Detroit schools. It is Easter and I pray that that crap never happens here.
    No Mass Killings = Great School
    Got it.....

Got it.....
    The thing is, these mass killings typically occur in places where the students are well-off [[such as the wealthy suburb of Colombine, CO). The students are so well taken care of, that they typically have the spare time and energy to meditate on and plan these mass killings you hear about [[and it's typically over stupid shit, such as the kids teased me because of my funny-looking glasses).

In a place like Detroit, the students are so busy simply trying not to get killed by the crazies in the streets or survive the abuse and neglect households they're raised in that committing mass killings of their classmates is the last thing on their minds.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-20-14 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The thing is, these mass killings typically occur in places where the students are well-off [[such as the wealthy suburb of Colombine, CO). The students are so well taken care of, that they typically have the spare time and energy to meditate on and plan these mass killings you hear about [[and it's typically over stupid shit, such as the kids teased me because of my funny-looking glasses).

In a place like Detroit, the students are so busy simply trying not to get killed by the crazies in the streets or survive the abuse and neglect households they're raised in that committing mass killings of their classmates is the last thing on their minds.

In a nutshell.

Got it.....
    First, it is not Finney anymore. I could share many stories of what goes on in my city. Not naive! I don't feed trolls. I focus on what is good. So much is good.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    In a nutshell.
    Strange, do you live in Detroit? I know personally all our area children, their parents too. Many of our babies struggle but I have faith in them. We invest in them, My community invests in them. Our churches invest in them. Fun bashing Detroit, no doubt, but we have some of the best and brightest. We all make sure they get to/and come home safe from school. No guarantees to life but our kids are loved by a whole Village.

OOPs forgot, this is Detroit, those evil people!

EEV is a great community, I live in a great community.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyunited View Post
    Poobert= Thanks for your reply.

I am wondering that how come there have "enough investor"?

Is it difficult to lease the properties there?

Whatever the news are alway talking about Detroit but I still beieve Detroit is still one of the potential part in US.

So you are an investor, a speculator, from Red China, no less. Kindly go fuck yourself. Why don't you just go take a whiff of that delicious Beijing air until you cough up blood instead of speculating on the neighborhood and country that I call home? Try to speculate here and I'll ruin you.

Anyway, filth aside, 313 is right, somewhat. Property values have actually gone up in the past 2 years - I can now get nearly double what I paid for my house - WHICH I LIVE IN - but if investors like whoever that illiterate commie was prevail, this neighborhood is gone. Luckily, the trend has been to owner-occupants, and we aim to keep it that way.
    Last edited by poobert; April-20-14 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyunited View Post
    I readed the news regarding EEV is luanching the foreclosure properties start from few days ago and I m wondering how safe is in there.
    You live in Hong Kong and your first name is Toby? Where in Hong Kong?
    admin gets an IP as well as our internet service provider - no?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It's East English Village. I live here. It isn't as safe as most suburbs but is far safer than most of the city. Think living in a neighborhood in a normal urban area, as oppose to Detroit.

You're from Hong Kong. Are you an investor? May I say, we have enough "investors" in this neighborhood already. If you are planning on being an owner-occupant, I welcome you with open arms. If you are simply curious, I welcome your questions as well. If you are an investor - that is, seeking to purchase and rent out residential properties from a different continent - I will oppose your efforts.

Any insight for those who ARE interested in becoming owner-occupants? Not really concerned about schools, but I am interested in safety and community in the neighborhood, convenience to highways/groceries/etc.

Detroit PROPER as a whole is one hundred times more dangerous than Pleasanton, California [[based on www.crimemapping.com). A house left unoccupied will have squatters and scrappers dropping in and causing
    massive damage within three months. This will be distressing to the outside
    investor as well as the owner-occupants next door.
    I would recommend to outside investors, if they wish to purchase a single house but leave it unoccupied in the Detroit area, to select a house in a lower crime area such as a suburb. I would suggest Farmington Hills. It will cost more but your chances of recouping your investment are so much better.
    Owner-occupants are generally very welcome and needed in Detroit. You will want to check out your immediate neighbors by your prospective house. If you are a newbie pass up any house next door to drug dealers. Most houses
    are next door to very nice people. Ask a few prospective neighbors with
    nice houses and yards and they will be glad to give you suggestions and
    describe any problems you might encounter [[with city services, crime, etc.).

One thing not mentioned is that EEV has a very strong community group with outstanding leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikesamin View Post
    Any insight for those who ARE interested in becoming owner-occupants? Not really concerned about schools, but I am interested in safety and community in the neighborhood, convenience to highways/groceries/etc.
    Rationally speaking, without the pom-pom waving or fear mongering, on a scale of 1-100, 100 being warm and fuzzy, I'd give it 60-70. ANYplace you buy in Detroit, except for maybe Midtown or Downtown, where you'll pay through the nose for not-so-much, it'll take a consolidated effort on the part of the purchaser, and certain precautions, to live here. Lighting, an alarm, [[to alert your neighbors because DPD won't show up) locks, perhaps a weapon, and a general "awareness" of your surroundings. As far as shopping and retaurants, you're going to need a car, or a bike. Most "Detroiters" from that area, go into Grosse Pointe to shop for groceries and dry goods. You'll also have to drive to bigger "chain" stores for purchases. I don't know where you currently live, but I always encourage potential buyers to make numerous trips into the area, to "gas up" @ the corner station, have breakfast @ a local eatery, maybe do some shopping, and get a "real feel" for what you're getting into. There are people that will welcome you with open arms, and others, who'll see you as an intruder and potential victim.

First, it is not Finney anymore. I could share many stories of what goes on in my city. Not naive! I don't feed trolls. I focus on what is good. So much is good.
    "Troll", that's funny. Your kids graduated from Finney as well?

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    You live in Hong Kong and your first name is Toby? Where in Hong Kong?
    admin gets an IP as well as our internet service provider - no?
    Most residents of Hong Kong are encouraged to choose an English name while in school. so that "Chan Ying Chun" becomes "Alfred Ying-Chun Chan" or "Alfred Y. Chan".

Toby:
    It is a real dangerous area, there are 5 dope houses on my block and they sell dope right in front of one all day & night. There are abandoned houses on almost every block. Please stay in China or wherever you are.

Originally Posted by sumas

"Troll", that's funny. Your kids graduated from Finney as well?

This comes under the heading of learning something new every so often.

I can see why there are times when sumas is attacked here.

I find myself wanting to reply to some of the things sumas posts. But it feels like taking the bait. Clarification here; It's what I feel, not necessarily the intention of the writer.

I have made it a point to recognize the lure of the bait and not participate.

To take an analogy from the Wizard of OZ, I can see there are Good Trolls of the North as well as Wicked Trolls of the West.

But as an investor in real estate in detroit it's Caveat Emptor, do your Due Diligence and apply a discount to the view of those wearing rose colored blinders about Detroit.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-21-14 at 09:17 AM.

I don't think sumas is a troll.

But like a few others here [[who I won't name), the permanence of their optimism can still sometimes come across as naivety [[even if it's not done intentionally) to some folks.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-21-14 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I don't think sumas is a troll.

But like a few others here [[who I won't name), the permanence of their optimism can still sometimes come across as naivety [[even if it's not done intentionally) to some folks.
    I can agree on your term of naivety. I find that I must refrain from responding to such extreme naivety or, [[love that phrase you put forth)
    "the permanence of their optimism", in a paternalistic way.

It just becomes a bit disingenous when offered up as a disinterested factual description the OP is looking for. I for one would not want to base decisions of my personal and investment safety on such seemingly biased personal viewpoints.

Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-21-14 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Originally Posted by sumas

This comes under the heading of learning something new every so often.

I can see why there are times when sumas is attacked here.

I find myself wanting to reply to some of the things sumas posts. But it feels like taking the bait. Clarification here; It's what I feel, not necessarily the intention of the writer.

I have made it a point to recognize the lure of the bait and not participate.

To take an analogy from the Wizard of OZ, I can see there are Good Trolls of the North as well as Wicked Trolls of the West.

But as an investor in real estate in detroit it's Caveat Emptor, do your Due Diligence and apply a discount to the view of those wearing rose colored blinders about Detroit.
    I wasn't attacking her. I find it annoying that someone can comment on school quality based on the fact they attended it 45 years ago.

Dumpling: Thanks for your advice, this is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Detroit PROPER as a whole is one hundred times more dangerous than Pleasanton, California [[based on www.crimemapping.com). A house left unoccupied will have squatters and scrappers dropping in and causing
    massive damage within three months. This will be distressing to the outside
    investor as well as the owner-occupants next door.
    I would recommend to outside investors, if they wish to purchase a single house but leave it unoccupied in the Detroit area, to select a house in a lower crime area such as a suburb. I would suggest Farmington Hills. It will cost more but your chances of recouping your investment are so much better.
    Owner-occupants are generally very welcome and needed in Detroit. You will want to check out your immediate neighbors by your prospective house. If you are a newbie pass up any house next door to drug dealers. Most houses
    are next door to very nice people. Ask a few prospective neighbors with
    nice houses and yards and they will be glad to give you suggestions and
    describe any problems you might encounter [[with city services, crime, etc.).

I wasn't attacking her. I find it annoying that someone can comment on school quality based on the fact they attended it 45 years ago.

Sorry If my observation of past episodes put you on the defensive. It was not intended. I most assuredly did not mean to implicate you HT.

I found the same comment indicative of "the permanence of their optimism". ;-)

h/t 313wx
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-21-14 at 11:07 AM.

Poobert, Got your reply.

First of all, remind your world.

You have to understand that the properties prices increased are not in my problems and all of those are original from the bankers making the troubles.

There have 1 way you could do is, order the US national bank stops the quantitative easing then you will get the properties for the wholes street by a dollar.

I have to ask you that when 8 years ago the inflation in Hong Kong is lower than US but now our properties prices are the highest in the world then should I ask every US tourist or resident in Hong Kong to go back to the states?

Even the Mainlander from China are coming to Hong Kong to pulled up the properties and for me I never blame them as like someone because I M A SURVIVOR.

Are you the only one is suffering? I have to tell you is, No- all the people even in the forum is in suffering, so do I.

Remember Socrates said Strong minds discuss idea, average mind discuss events, weak mind discuss person/ people.

Onces again, I say thank you for the surivior with strong mind but not to a loser, like you if you think you are.

Check the words I said, if you admit yourself is a loser in here keep using the dirties world then go for it, you just make dirty for this detroityes fourm and the people from Detroit to the world, and I just treat those dirty words as from a rubbish bin has opened the cover.
    Last edited by tobyunited; April-21-14 at 10:32 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast