Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Any salt laid down in Wayne County the week of April 13?

Hello,

I know this is a rather specific question and isn't really a discussion, but not having a need to travel very far [[or really been traveling much at all lately), nor especially on the freeways, where there is most likely to be salt because of higher speeds [[and can be picked up by vehicle contact points, e.g., tires), I am inquiring about those of you who have traveled in Wayne County, especially since the recent snowfall we had, if you either witnessed salt being laid down or have your best determination as to whether salt was laid down [[a slight discoloration, small rock salt, etc.).

Also, just because it's not easily visible doesn't mean it's not present.

Why do I want to know this? For the purpose of recreational/commuting rides on my bicycle. Salt=very corrosive, and it's considerably more time consuming to clean a bicycle and its drivetrain vs. a power washer or hose for five minutes on a car.

And yes, I called Wayne County Roads Division. That was of no help.

Thanks!

I doubt it. The ground was fairly warm when it snowed so nothing stuck to the pavements. I did have to go to Lansing on the snowday and saw that in Oakland County many of the surface streets N of Grand River had some build-up earlier in the day but most likely much of that had melted once the sun came out.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I doubt it. The ground was fairly warm when it snowed so nothing stuck to the pavements. I did have to go to Lansing on the snowday and saw that in Oakland County many of the surface streets N of Grand River had some build-up earlier in the day but most likely much of that had melted once the sun came out.
    Thanks for a response. Yes, although because of the timing of the snow [[was more overnight), I am not saying it was the case, just that an alternative reason, at least in part, the snow had melted or had melted at the rate it apparently did, was that salt was laid down in moderate amounts on the freeway, before most people were commuting [[and we know how fast and careless, to varying extents, some drivers are on the freeways). But yes, I called my local municipality, and they did not lay any salt down, and the roads seemed to melt. Just how quickly, I didn't really take much of a note, so that is again, an area of uncertainty, and leaves some doubt.

I am not completely informed regarding some variables, like ground temps and heat absorption of different material [[which would be relevant to melting in this case), as well as how the salt reacts with a good 1-3 inches of snow [[does it mostly get dissolved and leave mostly a residue as opposed to more easily discernible rocks?)

I can be cautious and/or take a drive close to the nearest freeway stretch, but again, a lack of clear visible signs does not mean a lack thereof, as well as clouds making it hard to see the road. It's just that...I almost always get exercise, and I really do enjoy riding my bicycle..and did virtually no riding at all this winter for the first time in probably 4-5 years.it's mid-late April, and there is still reasonable doubt, regarding riding conditions.

The other main reason I'm inquiring is, post-snow, there will probably be a good 1-3 weeks before we get enough inches of rain to dissolve even a low to moderate amount of salt.

Where I live locally, we've yet to get any real good single rainstorm [[just some showers that have been light to moderate and/or extremely brief), and the last rainstorm in the Detroit Metro Area mostly missed my residence, even though the forecasted "futurecast" radar showed a lot of green hitting plenty of the southern portion of Metro Detroit.
    Last edited by DTownDave22; April-18-14 at 12:43 PM.

Maybe you need to be using Salt-X or Salt-Away to rinse out the salt. I've used both for decades on my underwater cameras and scuba gear. Also, Salt-X now has a version that is combined with a detergent, so you can wash and dissolve salt at the same time.

You and your bike will survive with a little bit of dry rock salt on the road. Sure, you may get a bit of dry dust, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The thing you need to watch out for is when you go out when it is slushy, then store your bike in the basement or other heated areas. Then I would start to worry about chronic corrosion of your drivetrain, pitting of aluminum rims, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DTownDave22 View Post
    Thanks for a response. Yes, although because of the timing of the snow [[was more overnight), I am not saying it lwas the case, just that an alternative reason, at least in part, the snow had melted or had melted at the rate it apparently did, was that salt was laid down in moderate amounts on the freeway, before most people were commuting [[and we know how fast and careless, to varying extents, some drivers are on the freeways). But yes, I called my local municipality, and they did not lay any salt down, and the roads seemed to melt. Just how quickly, I didn't really take much of a note, so that is again, an area of uncertainty, and leaves some doubt.

I am not completely informed regarding some variables, like ground temps and heat absorption of different material [[which would be relevant to melting in this case), as well as how the salt reacts with a good 1-3 inches of snow [[does it mostly get dissolved and leave mostly a residue as opposed to more easily discernible rocks?)

I can be cautious and/or take a drive close to the nearest freeway stretch, but again, a lack of clear visible signs does not mean a lack thereof, as well as clouds making it hard to see the road. It's just that...I almost always get exercise, and I really do enjoy riding my bicycle..and did virtually no riding at all this winter for the first time in probably 4-5 years.it's mid-late April, and there is still reasonable doubt, regarding riding conditions.

The other main reason I'm inquiring is, post-snow, there will probably be a good 1-3 weeks before we get enough inches of rain to dissolve even a low to moderate amount of salt.

Where I live locally, we've yet to get any real good single rainstorm [[just some showers that have been light to moderate and/or extremely brief), and the last rainstorm in the Detroit Metro Area mostly missed my residence, even though the forecasted "futurecast" radar showed a lot of green hitting plenty of the southern portion of Metro Detroit.
    You bought a Shinola bicycle, didn't you?