Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Norfolk Southern Railroad Steam Excursions

Anyone going? July 12th and 13th Detroit to Ft.Wayne, Indiana. Theres also a July 5th and 6th trip to Toledo for employees only. Wish I could get on the Toledo trip. The trip to Ft. Wayne is a bit pricey but well worth it. They haven't run the steam program in a long time and its great that they're doing it again.

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/events/

Anyone have a memory good enough to remember the last steam excursion that ran out of Detroit? Grated I've been gone since the mid 70's, but I go back to the GTW trips sponsored by the Michigan Railroad Club to Durand, Bay City, Jackson, Port Huron and other destinations using CNR 6218, GTW 5629, and one of the RDG 2102.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Anyone going? July 12th and 13th Detroit to Ft.Wayne, Indiana. Theres also a July 5th and 6th trip to Toledo for employees only. Wish I could get on the Toledo trip. The trip to Ft. Wayne is a bit pricey but well worth it. They haven't run the steam program in a long time and its great that they're doing it again.

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/events/
    How much is it? I couldn't fine the price?

Standard Coach $119
    Deluxe Coach $149
    First Class & Lounge $239
    Dome Car $349

As much as I'd like to ride in the dome car I'll probably be getting standard coach. All seats are in vintage refurbished rail cars. Heres a link to more info:

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/detroit-arrow/

I was having a hard time finding the price myself. You're right it ain't cheap; particularly if you want access to the dome car.

I guess I will be stuck hoping I can ride a steamer at Greenfield Village and going to Niles or Michigan City on Amtrak!

Actually, the prices aren't too far out of line. The Union Pacific has a very active steam program and are set up to handle this type of operation, yet they're getting $75 for a coach seat for a July excursion between Denver and Cheyenne. Remember, this is on a railroad that runs regular excursions with it's own power and cars, and is probably self insured to boot.

I don't know what kind of arrangement the NS has with the folks in Fort Wayne....or with the Tennessee Valley Railway Museum [[and their ex Southern #630 which runs all over the southeast), but the price appears to be close to in line with other NS excursions.

Be happy you've got mainline steam at all. With the Union Pacific getting touchy about non-company owned steam on their rails, and the BNSF always being a hard sell for steam trips, we've got two main line locomotives in the Pacific Northwest. [[SP 4449 and SP&S 700) with pretty much no where to go.

I think the $119 to ride in a vintage coach is reasonable. I'm not a big steam fan. I'm more interested in riding this line as it is used only for freight and not passenger trains.

Saw the steamer today at Outer Drive/Allen Road overpass. This was the employee trip to Toledo that runs tomorrow as well. I think it left around 12:30pm and headed down the old Detroit Toledo Shore Line through River Rouge, Ecorse, Wyandotte, Riverview and Trenton. Should be the same schedule on Sunday. Next weekend is the fan trips to Ft Wayne. Well worth seeing this beauty rolling by.

Saw the steamer today at Outer Drive/Allen Road overpass. This was the employee trip to Toledo that runs tomorrow as well. I think it left around 12:30pm and headed down the old Detroit Toledo Shore Line through River Rouge, Ecorse, Wyandotte, Riverview and Trenton. Should be the same schedule on Sunday. Next weekend is the fan trips to Ft Wayne. Well worth seeing this beauty rolling by.
    Do you know where it leaves from?

Leaves from Allen Rd and Outer Drive in Allen Park, next to Thunderbowl Lanes. Drops off at same location.

Here is a pic of the steamer just before leaving. Watched it pull out and then drove down to Wyandotte and watched it roll by the old train station. It was doing about 50mph and was a spectacular sight to behold.Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  47.6 KB

Here is a pic of the steamer just before leaving. Watched it pull out and then drove down to Wyandotte and watched it roll by the old train station. It was doing about 50mph and was a spectacular sight to behold.Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  47.6 KB
    Wife and I were there at the station in Wyandotte too. I remember taking the train from there to the train station in Toledo in the late 50's.

I'll be in the Silver Plain for the Sunday trip.