Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Guns&Butter to Cary Building

1301 Broadway seems to be the Cary Building, which is in the process of getting new windows on the ground floor.

http://eater.com/archives/2014/04/08/spring-2014-anticipated-openings.php

Great place for a restaurant

Between that and Punch Bowl Social, not being far from Campus Martius or Greektown, this area should be a solid one. It's too bad it's right next to that God-awful intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Between that and Punch Bowl Social, not being far from Campus Martius or Greektown, this area should be a solid one. It's too bad it's right next to that God-awful intersection.
    you forgot Bagger Daves and BW3's!

There also appears to be a middle eastern restaurant planning on opening across Broadway from the Z.

A DEGC official told me that in 2015-2016 they plan to redo the streetscaping of Randolf, as well as the intersection at Gratiot. They plan to extend the island from the people mover down to the corner of Monroe, and then bump out the sidewalks by BWW's and include more parking options on the street. There were no renderings, but sounds like an excellent idea. Also, pedestrians would be able to cross at both sides of the Monroe/Randolf intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    A DEGC official told me that in 2015-2016 they plan to redo the streetscaping of Randolf, as well as the intersection at Gratiot. They plan to extend the island from the people mover down to the corner of Monroe, and then bump out the sidewalks by BWW's and include more parking options on the street. There were no renderings, but sounds like an excellent idea. Also, pedestrians would be able to cross at both sides of the Monroe/Randolf intersection.
    Thank goodness, so many horrible intersections on Randolph. Gratiot, Monroe, Cadillac Square/Congress

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    There also appears to be a middle eastern restaurant planning on opening across Broadway from the Z.
    Yes, from the same owners as Al's Paradise Cafe nearby. Looking forward to that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Not only do they not have renderings, they have no money for this mythical project on Randolph. Even if they can get the money to magically appear, the DEGC does not own the Streets. The Streets are owned by MDOT/Detroit. State owned roads are in Red: http://michigan.gov/documents/mdot/M...t_421310_7.pdf
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-16-14 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Not only do they not have renderings, they have no money for this mythical project on Randolph. Even if they can get the money to magically appear, the DEGC does not own the Streets. The Streets are owned by MDOT/Detroit. State owned roads are in Red: http://michigan.gov/documents/mdot/M...t_421310_7.pdf
    Damn... get on it Snyder!

what is "guns & butter"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what is "guns & butter"?
    They are a major competitor to a bakery chain that goes by the name; "Buns and Gutter", I think.

what is "guns & butter"?
    It's actually an economic example of the production possibility curve. In an economy that produces only two items, how much of each do you produce to advance economic growth.
    In this instance, though, it's a restaurant. I'm assuming they thought the name was cute.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...Detroit-summer

That part of Broadway is soon to be hoping with Guns & Butter, Punch Bowl Social, and the new middle eastern place.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...Detroit-summer

That part of Broadway is soon to be hoping with Guns & Butter, Punch Bowl Social, and the new middle eastern place.
    This is great. That block, along with the JAM Lounge/Grind corner, are the only two places I've felt somewhat uncomfortable in all Downtown since I moved here two years ago. With JAM/Grind closing, and these new openings, both those areas should improve.

so what is the menu at this place? why is it so popular?

so what is the menu at this place? why is it so popular?
    They serve guns in butter I guess.

TennisAndMath Guest

I like his optimism but Detroit isn't sophisticated enough for a Michelin star. It's a hotdog and steak and potatoes kind of town. Wish him luck, I just see a talented chef like him getting REALLY frustrated six months in when the buzz fades and guests are sharing apps and slow sipping glasses of Cab.

Quote Originally Posted by TennisAndMath View Post
    I like his optimism but Detroit isn't sophisticated enough for a Michelin star. It's a hotdog and steak and potatoes kind of town. Wish him luck, I just see a talented chef like him getting REALLY frustrated six months in when the buzz fades and guests are sharing apps and slow sipping glasses of Cab.
    Sorry to be harsh, but you are either dense or one of the ultimate trolls on this site. The very fact that he is opening a restaurant goes far in establishing the opposite of what you're saying. In a year or two, when it's packed nightly, then we'll have exhibit B. But even if the city generally has 'simple' food tastes, why in heaven's name would that preclude him from cooking the way he wants to cook, and winning acclaim? Chicago is a sausage-eating kind of place, but it also has a bevy of Michelins. Minneapolis chowed on white bread and rotten fish for a century, but somehow managed for forge one of the trendier food scenes in America in spite of this.

Stop. Think. Then post.

Detroit isn't sophisticated enough? I guess Detroit isn't sophisticated enough for Coach Insignia, Roast, Joe Muer, and all of the other fine dining establishments in Detroit that are extremely popular. Why don't you ask Michael Symon how Roast is doing 5 years after it opened? Pretty sure even after "the buzz faded" it's doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Detroit isn't sophisticated enough? I guess Detroit isn't sophisticated enough for Coach Insignia, Roast, Joe Muer, and all of the other fine dining establishments in Detroit that are extremely popular. Why don't you ask Michael Symon how Roast is doing 5 years after it opened? Pretty sure even after "the buzz faded" it's doing just fine.
    Exactly, and while Guns+Butter is going to be more avant garde than all of these, the fact that he sells out all of his pop up dinners is pretty indicative of the existence of appreciative sophistication in the city.

The Detnews article includes a kind of confusing passage regarding the Michelin star issue. The article states:

Lieckfelt has said in previous interviews that his goal for his new restaurant is “nothing less than” Michelin-level dining.

The Michelin Red Guide is a series of annual tourist guide books published by the French company Michelin. Earning even one Michelin star is considered a hallmark achievement for any restaurant. Only a handful of restaurants in the United States earn Michelin stars — none are in Michigan.
    “Three stars. I’m obsessed with bringing that to Detroit,” Lieckfelt told the Wall Street Journal, referring to the highest rating possible. “It could take 20 years to even get Michelin to come here, but that’s fine.”
    Lieckfelt is the former sous-chef in a Manhattan restaurant, Jean-Georges, that earned three Michelin stars.
    At first, Chef Lieckfelt merely says he wants to execute Michelin level dining. This is a good way to phrase it because he undoubtedly knows that in the U.S., the Michelin guides only cover certain cities. Detroit is not one of the covered cities. You could own the best restaurant in the country but if it's not located in NYC, Bay Area/Silicon Valley, Chicago, LA or Las Vegas, you are not getting a Michelin star. There is plenty of world class dining in Boston, Washington DC and New Orleans, but no Michelin stars because those regions are not covered by Michelin. Chef Lieckfelt probably also knows that Michelin is highly unlikely to ever expand to Detroit. It's probably a good bet that when he said he wants to bring 3 stars to Detroit, he meant he wanted to bring that level of dining here.