Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What would you Develop if given the chance outside of the Downtown area

Everyone knows Detroit has beautiful architecture, but seems so stuck in the past. I love going to cities where the beautiful architecture is saved and newly built modern architecture coexist. My question is, hypothetically, if you where given a chance to build a new home or row of townhomes in one of the more affluent areas, say Sherwood Forest or whatever of liking, what would you build. With pictures please

I'd go back to where I grew up [[Cody High) and fix up the housing stock and market it to students at UMD and UDM.

Sorry, I can't show you pictures of what I haven't built.

I'll play! I'd build a new tudor house on the vacant Romney lot in Palmer Woods. Large but not huge by PW standards.

And I'd host Democratic party fundraisers. Not to spite George or Lenore, both of whom I think were fine individuals and good citizens, but to cleanse the land of Willard's remaining aura.

Something like this, which I think would blend in nicely.

http://www.houseplans.net/floorplans...-3.5-bathrooms

I think I'd hang out in the front den with a nice toasty fire on a winter's day.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-16-14 at 12:12 PM.

I'd love to [[re)develop the houses that my grandparents and parents grew up in. Having that history come back to life is a huge reason I am here today. My mom's side grew up in Hamtramck, while my dad's side grew up on the Southwest and West sides of the city.

Sorry no pictures of the houses that I would like to share.

In regards to development, I thought about a possible idea.
    I'd develop at bus/tour bus lot along with a bar near the new Stadium District. The the lot, which I thought could work in Brush Park, would have a bar where the buses would park near, around, or in the lot/maybe structure. The drivers would have access to the bar, and be able to be contacted by the members of their party from the stadiums. It would basically be the central area for all buses.

No idea how viable this idea is, but I thought it would be important, and to get all the buses and what not off the service drive and off the streets to a central area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    In regards to development, I thought about a possible idea. I'd develop at bus/tour bus lot along with a bar near the new Stadium District. The the lot, which I thought could work in Brush Park, would have a bar where the buses would park near, around, or in the lot/maybe structure. The drivers would have access to the bar, and be able to be contacted by the members of their party from the stadiums. It would basically be the central area for all buses.

No idea how viable this idea is, but I thought it would be important, and to get all the buses and what not off the service drive and off the streets to a central area.
    Ok, so the game in the stadium takes three and a half hours and when it is over, a bunch of bus drivers who are totally sloshed go to pick up their fans. What could possibly go wrong?

I'd like to fill in the gaps inbetween New Center and Boston-Edison. To make it nice enough to walk between the two. Now, that's a large area so it would need quite alot of different developments.

I would build a high-rise development on the old trailer park at the foot of Alter Road on the Detroit River.

I would develop the relatively stable neighborhoods outside of downtown, rosedale, most of 7mile, EEV

I've always thought the area between downtown and East Village was ripe for devolpement/infill/stabilization. Aside from the MLK, there are quite a few newer houses/condos/co-ops in there. I figured the borders being Jefferson to the South, Vernor to the North, I-375 to the West and maybe Hurlbut to the East. In a more specific area, West Village.

I would buy up all of Morningside and Warrendale and redevelop both of them into viable neighborhoods. I would renovate the homes and make the people that are not a positive influence move. It would hopefully stabilize both of those neighborhoods.

I would completely demolish delray and all the industrial crap.

They should remake the big industrial zone where I-94 meets Livernois. Tear down all the ugly concrete towers and related buildings. Make it into a huge public park and green-industry education facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    They should remake the big industrial zone where I-94 meets Livernois. Tear down all the ugly concrete towers and related buildings. Make it into a huge public park and green-industry education facility.
    I am not familiar with any towers in this area. What is your definition?

I would destroy those awul condos on Woodward in Brush Park and replace them with street-fronted retail and commercial space. Then infill Brush Park with dense rowhousing like one might find in Boston's Beacon Hill. This would also include restoring the street grid over the old Brewster Homes.

I would also like to stablize the North End. Build dense, single family homes for the "new" middle class and restore/repair the older ones. That whole area between Clairmount-Owen and the Blvd could really be the new Detroit's urban middle class district.

If you haven't researched the way Australia has built their cities please look into it. Many of the the inner suburbs of Australian cities are dense, but still attractable to families since they have housing and are dense.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am not familiar with any towers in this area. What is your definition?
    just the abandoned and semi-abandoned industrial structures in general.. Thyssenkrupp, for one..

You all are making me dream. I love my 112 yr old home. So many,problems to solve though in community.

Intelligent infill would be nice, get transit for our citizens would be great! Our area kids have needs. My list could go on and on.

Wide open spaces for recreation, fruit trees free for the picking, baseball diamonds, urban woods and fields for play, maybe a golf course and last but not least, frontage on the river for camping, swimming, fishing, boating.

All free from evil doers by way of trapping, hunting and archery.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-18-14 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Wide open spaces for recreation, fruit trees free for the picking, baseball diamonds, urban woods and fields for play, maybe a golf course and last but not least, frontage on the river for camping, swimming, fishing, boating.

All free from evil doers by way of trapping, hunting and archery.

Deliverance!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Deliverance!
    Hunger Games!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Hunger Games!

Alex Trebek; definitely not "breakfast at Tiffany's".

Detroit wouldn't have as many troubled neighborhoods if half the population weren't functionally illiterate and unemployable. Hell, I believe the neighborhoods would find investment and fix themselves if most residents were literate, educated, and employed/employable in legal pursuits.

Until one fixes the fundamentals then all we'll see is more of the same population shuffling that has gone on in this area for decades without resolving the real problem. We'll fix a neighborhood or a few in Detroit while letting south Warren or Hazel Park rot to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
    Detroit wouldn't have as many troubled neighborhoods if half the population weren't functionally illiterate and unemployable. Hell, I believe the neighborhoods would find investment and fix themselves if most residents were literate, educated, and employed/employable in legal pursuits.

Until one fixes the fundamentals then all we'll see is more of the same population shuffling that has gone on in this area for decades without resolving the real problem. We'll fix a neighborhood or a few in Detroit while letting south Warren or Hazel Park rot to hell.
    I wish you could see the so many programs that work with area kids.

Our kids are our future. They are charming and decent. Hardworking young folk. We are buying a swimming pool this year. I am/was a helicopter Mom so expect to open our yard 3 days a week to area kids. I just adore them.

Hate how people sit in sub chairs and deplore Detroit. So much is going on. True vibrancy!

As a Detroit resident, I'll match our MBAS to your GEDs anyday. my area kids are going to camp. If things work right my area kids will go to college.

People are working hard to fix fundamentals.
    Last edited by sumas; April-19-14 at 03:03 AM. Reason: redundancy

GUSHI Guest

Boot camp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast