Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Yes, with as many houses as Detroit has to go through, I think everyone involved would very much like to avoid a Wayne County - Packard Plant fiasco.

Given the listings in EEV, $34k sounds like a more realistic bid than $46k. Its nice to see such quick action on bidders perceived to be ineligible, although I wonder what it is that made the city deem them ineligble.

Current house is up to $20K, and it looks like it needs pretty much a whole new interior. This program is looking like a brilliant one for now. Unfortunately, even if the trend continues, we have to wait ~6 months before we really know if it's working.

Second day the house went for 30000 last time I saw.

Woodbridge is also a targeted neighborhood apperarantly. It's just been added along with two more from EEV.

I guess they're seriously about auctioning a house EVERY day.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Second day the house went for 30000 last time I saw.

Woodbridge is also a targeted neighborhood apperarantly. It's just been added along with two more from EEV.

I guess they're seriously about auctioning a house EVERY day.
    Those two houses on Devonshire are in Morningside. Sadly we don't take care of our vacant houses like EEV does. These probably wont get the same amount of bids as the EEV houses did.

Another two dozen homes have been added. This time most of them are in Boston-Edison. Quite a few homes are at least 2800 square feet or more.

Yes, a bunch of houses have hit the auction site. It will be real interesting to see what happens with the B-E houses. Several on Atkinson [["almost B-E") too.

http://www.buildingdetroit.org/Home

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Yes, a bunch of houses have hit the auction site. It will be real interesting to see what happens with the B-E houses. Several on Atkinson [["almost B-E") too.

http://www.buildingdetroit.org/Home
    These interest me, but I wonder if fixing them up in 6 months is realistic

Yea check out the description for 2499 Longfellow.

Right around the corner from the Sacred Heart Seminary, this wonderful 2,706 sq. ft. brick home has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. ​To make it feel like home, it will need a new roof, windows, doors, plumbing, electrical and HVAC. The inside will need a complete extraction and drywall needs to be replaced throughout. Exterior will need tuck point work, and the basement can use UGL paint. You will probably also need to gut the kitchen and bathrooms, replace the driveway and front porch, refinish the floors and get some fresh paint on the walls.
    Though DLBA does say that they can give extensions for deadlines at their discretion. I'd assume if they see that someone is actually making progress then they're more than willing to extend the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Yea check out the description for 2499 Longfellow.

Though DLBA does say that they can give extensions for deadlines at their discretion. I'd assume if they see that someone is actually making progress then they're more than willing to extend the deadline.
    Description fixed:
    Right around the corner from the Sacred Heart Seminary, this is a 2,706 sq. ft. brick shell. ​To make it feel like home, fix everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    These interest me, but I wonder if fixing them up in 6 months is realistic
    That is a very legitimate concern. I'm not sure it makes sense to require the same amount of time for a 4000 sq. ft. house as a 1400 sq. ft. one, especially if it has architectural features you might want to preserve. The other question I have is about the location of the B-E houses in an historic district--usually you need to get approval to make exterior changes, and replacing all the windows [[for example) is a significant change. I've always liked the house that is up in the first block of Chicago, but it would require an almost superhuman effort to get it fixed up in six months if it really needs the work the description suggests--just getting appropriate contractors lined up for this season would be hard.
    Last edited by mwilbert; May-12-14 at 05:11 PM.

GUSHI Guest

some nice homes on the outside, what about buying them and moving them were you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That is a very legitimate concern. I'm not sure it makes sense to require the same amount of time for a 4000 sq. ft. house as a 1400 sq. ft. one, especially if it has architectural features you might want to preserve. The other question I have is about the location of the B-E houses in an historic district--usually you need to get approval to make exterior changes, and replacing all the windows [[for example) is a significant change. I've always liked the house that is up in the first block of Chicago, but it would require an almost superhuman effort to get it fixed up in six months if it really needs the work the description suggests--just getting appropriate contractors lined up for this season would be hard.
    What, this sounds like a lot to you?

The roof, doors and 60 windows need repair or replacement. Upgrades to the electrical system, plumbing, and interior waterproofing is recommended. Replacement of the boiler system, kitchen, bathrooms and drywall is also recommended. Other cosmetic repairs include paint and flooring.

Have to worry a little bit about things being rushed in the historic district for sure. Of course, that only applies to external changes, which I would say is small minority of what needs to be done in most of the houses. I doubt it would be hard to get door/window approval.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rn-communities
    The homes auctioned in the two new neighborhoods will also begin at $1,000; however, auction winners in Boston-Edison will be given nine months for rehab work due to the larger size of the historic homes.
    So there ya go. An additional 3 months to work on the BE homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What, this sounds like a lot to you?

The roof, doors and 60 windows need repair or replacement. Upgrades to the electrical system, plumbing, and interior waterproofing is recommended. Replacement of the boiler system, kitchen, bathrooms and drywall is also recommended. Other cosmetic repairs include paint and flooring.

Have to worry a little bit about things being rushed in the historic district for sure. Of course, that only applies to external changes, which I would say is small minority of what needs to be done in most of the houses. I doubt it would be hard to get door/window approval.
    Well, in the one you are talking about, we have roof, doors, and windows, plus paint, the colors of which are regulated. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but there is considerable lead time on historically appropriate custom doors and windows, if those were required and any delay could be a problem. The last thing you want is to do the renovation and then find out is isn't OK. Anyway, nine months to a certificate of occupancy seems a lot more realistic, so I think the city is on the right track here.

Did anyone go to the 4722 Avery open house? I didnt even know it was up on the list until too late. I was hoping for some additional pictures. Im probably going to bid on it....

The auctions are going so well and demand is so high that they're doing two per day now!

So what's it like getting homeowner's insurance for properties like these? Are rates higher than in the burbs?

It's been reported that the BE houses will have a nine month deadline for repairs.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rn-communities

So one home per day in EEV and two in BE are selling every day? Am I understanding this correctly? Does anyone have any info on how many bids go toward any given property?

This sounds too good to work out in the long run, but if it does, bless those who are making this happen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    So one home per day in EEV and two in BE are selling every day? Am I understanding this correctly? Does anyone have any info on how many bids go toward any given property?
    1. Click past auctions.

2. Choose a property for winning purchaser and price.

3. Click history for reverse sequential listing of all bids placed.

There's an auto-bid option, a $100 bid increment, and a $1000 starting price. So, aside from crazy people, you can pretty much figure that the # of bids on a property is ~= [[final price - 1000) / 100. The interesting detail is how many different bidders are interested in each, which takes a little more legwork to deduce.

As for the BE deadline of 9 months, the Rules page has been updated to state:

You will also be required to sign a contract with the Land Bank in which you agree that within 6 months of closing, the property will be brought up to Code and occupied. If the property is in an historic district or has historic designation, your contract will state that you have 9 months to bring it up to Code and have it occupied.

Still wondering how it works insuring these properties, since even currently inhabited homes can be expensive to insure in the city. A friend living near 7Mile & Southfield was shopping for a better rate after recent massive hike by her current company. Was told by agent they would need to assess her property first, then insisted she replace her roof before they would give coverage. She stayed with her original insurer since she didn't have 8 thousand on hand to repair a non leaking roof.

Cash purchase of one of these homes would allow the re-hab work to be done before getting insurance, I guess. Any kind of financing would require homeowner's ins. first though, right?

Did anyone make it to the B-E open house event? The solarium on this house is a wonderful feature. As are the leaded windows, iron railings and the massive fireplace. I also like that arched pink bathtub.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...arium.php#more
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-19-14 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Did anyone make it to the B-E open house event? The solarium on this house is a wonderful feature. As are the leaded windows, iron railings and the massive fireplace. I also like that arched pink bathtub.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...arium.php#more

I like the ornate, wrought iron, security door, and the stately bars on the windows.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast