Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Was GM's first female CEO set up for a fall?

Who knows?

http://blogs.forward.com/sisterhood-...women-authors/

It is kind of funny just how often the situation plays itself out though.

I have no reason to defend GM but they do seem to be grappling with a conspicuously disproportionate piling-on relative to, say, the "too big to fail" banks that created the global financial crisis.

We're approaching a time when it will become necessary to throw all the bums out.

I have been saying that over the last month. Poor lady got suckered.

I've been wondering why the former CEO hasn't been questioned for what happened [[or didn't happen) under his watch.

Not to trivialize those that have been injured or killed, but the stats that are being quoted in this whole affair are just impossible to recognize. It is already recognized by the IIHS that roughly in 8% of fatal accidents, frontal airbags don't go off. And the IIHS is what the IMO sleazy ambulance chasing blood sucking layer group by the name of the Hilliard Group is using to generate this hysteria. And even they are claiming that 13 fatalities are associated with this problem. Exactly how was GM going to see this? Even worse is that NHTSA is the source of the stats. No GM is not where accident reports go to for resolution. It is and should be NHTSA.

Boil it all down and credit Barra for not throwing punches at the idiots that are flaming this problem. NHTSA is politically motivated and Hilliard is just out for blood. The collected idiots in Washington made fools out of themselves trying to roast her. It doesn't matter who or what you are. You don't try to act proud when you try to beat up a girl. And that's all they tried to do.

Sadly a few beat writers in local papers with no knowledge of how a car works are still trying to ride this story. It's not working. But they can't admit it. Barra will stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    [[terrible) Timing, [[terrible) timing, [[terrible) timing...

Interesting, though, didn't she rise through the GM engineering chain? Wasn't she a product of what was called GM Institute.

Wasn't this whole problem a GM-Delphi problem and as a Detroit paper wrote a bad, bad scene with GM squeezing Delphi.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Interesting, though, didn't she rise through the GM engineering chain? Wasn't she a product of what was called GM Institute.
    She was fast-tracked to the executive level. Never spent more than a year or so in any position before being promoted. That being said, this happened over the course of a decade, I doubt they planned her taking a fall starting in the early 2000s. Also, she has a bit of insulation from liability coming from the manufacturing division - she was never in charge of product.

In order to have "set her up" for a fall, there would needed to have been a very long-term conspiracy involving many upper level GM executives, Delphi management, more than a dozen government agencies and offices having something to do with this affair specifically and GM's bankruptcy management, and related attorneys & investigative personel. Without word or evidence of it becoming either public or known to Mary Barra. Not very likely. Probably not impossible, but not likely. What is plausible is that other would be CEOs were aware [[as was Mary Barra, undoubtedly) that a chronically mismanaged giant company, just recently coming off of a highly abnormal and arguably destructive bankruptcy, would be navigating very choppy waters. Such candidates may have decided that it wasn't worth the bother. Also, if Mary Barra was not in position to be at least vaguely aware of this issue as a senior level GM exec, she should not have been a serious contender for CEO. This, like all the posts on this topic by us, is just speculation.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; April-14-14 at 06:55 PM.

Brizee asks...

Was GM's first female CEO set up for a fall?

Set up? Maybe. But I think she knew what was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by 248lurker View Post
    I've been wondering why the former CEO hasn't been questioned for what happened [[or didn't happen) under his watch.
    I've been wondering the same thing. That would be Rick Wagoner. This happened under his watch, not Barra's. Is he being protected by the bankruptcy?

"Y'all done set me up for a comeback"

Quote Originally Posted by 248lurker View Post
    he was an old white rich guy.

I think GM should get her some flowers, and a box of chocolates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. That would be Rick Wagoner. This happened under his watch, not Barra's. Is he being protected by the bankruptcy?
    Has any lawsuit progressed to discovery yet? Everyone will get questioned then. I think folks are playing it cagey until they find out just how much the bankruptcy and liquidation of "old GM" shielded "new GM" from liability in this case. It could be why Barra is so open about everything. The legal beagles told her that liability is moot.

Reading elsewhere, it could be she was given the job as insulation against a gummint investigation. "What you guys in congress and the media are beating up on this poor little lady just because she broke the glass ceiling?"

She set herself up by thinking they'd protect her thru every storm as a favor for the 'not knowing' response. But after a point all useless incompetents [[which she's rendered herself at best), having lost their usefulness must be jettisoned.

Now onward, do we trust GM to make a quality product, or good workmanship and durability, or do we go back to the Chevette days?
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-15-14 at 05:04 AM.

For an nice salary - with fringe benefits to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

I think it's most patronizing and sexist to cast her as a poor little victim. She is playing with the big boys, and she'll have to eat the occasional sh!t sandwich, just like anyone else. She's not an airhead thrown in there to fail. She's an ambitious career GM manager who is aware of the sharks in the water. Just like a man, she might prove to be a good or bad exec in the end, but this is not the equivalent of throwing the waterboy in as quarterback.

As a company, GM's biggest mistake in picking a leader might be having picked from the inside; troubled, chronically mismanaged companied often benefit from a fresh set of eyes & brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Now onward, do we trust GM to make a quality product, or good workmanship and durability, or do we go back to the Chevette days?
    Don't forget the "Vile Vega" and the "Awful Astre" as well as the Chevrolet Citation [[and its cousins in Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac).

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    She set herself up by thinking they'd protect her thru every storm as a favor for the 'not knowing' response. But after a point all useless incompetents [[which she's rendered herself at best), having lost their usefulness must be jettisoned.

There were definitely ignition switch issues, and people died as a result. That part is tragic. Back in the mid 80's, I worked with a woman who had to have the ignition switch replaced on her big Chevy truck. She had, no exageration, about an 18" long beaded chain for a keyring. From that hung a an absolute boatload of keys, troll dolls, [[remember those?) furry puff balls, etc., and the key to her truck. She thought her keychain was the poop. The mechanic said the weight of the keychain bouncing around contributed to the early demise of her ignition switch. I'm not condoning GM's position, or trying to shift the blame onto the victims, I'm just wondering, if ALL switches had this problem, why only some failed.

I find conspiracy theories boring. But i don't discount that the board may have thought it would be better to have a new CEO when the poo hit the fan.

To think they'd conspire and plan this to have it under a woman's watch is just wishful thinking by those who just know racism and sexism lurk in every corner. See. Told you so.

Isn't marketing strategy, to a certain extent, a derivation of conspiracy? This capable, accomplished woman with wholesome Sally Field likability was thoughtfully chosen as the flip side of Wagoner's stone face [[when admonished about corporate jet travel). Everyone agrees that BOTH of them should have driven Cobalts to Capitol Hill. You'd think the consultants would have caught on after the first gaff.

Male or female was probably determined by who had the right "it" factor. Maybe there were no current good-guy George Clooney/Tom Hanks look-alike GM insiders. Character & integrity of Norma Rae fit the bill.

Conspiracy? Policy? Doesn't matter- shame on all. Barra and the rest of the top dogs of corporations and watchdog agencies are certainly well compensated to take the heat. Don't neglect to give NHTSA credit for being ineffective watchdogs as well. Hopefully they are continuing to review their record keeping methods for ALL manufacturers.

Auto companies have avoided acknowledging their responsibility for defects by offering complainants "hush money" to drop their lawsuits and forever hold their tongues. So much cheaper to pay by incident than to potentially effect corporate profits. A shameful longstanding method of resolving serious complaints.

An example- Ford has had ignition issues since the Focus was introduced a decade ago- still no recall, though there were 18 recalls & 13 investigations of other issues in the introductory vehicle. THOUSANDS of complaints and drivers stranded in all sorts of circumstances due to that ignition issue that persists among many model years. Additionally, vehicles with electrical and gas line issues combined- fuel line & stalling issues while turning, wiring and fire issues as well. Serious injuries and deaths result- that's elementary logic.

Ford struggled through several model years of problems with the Focus. Keeping the issues low profile and offering $compensation$ while quietly making corrections resulted in today's top selling car.

GM was playing by "accepted" industry rules for economical vehicles popular with working class customers. Barra puts a friendly face on an ugly situation. Marketing or conspiracy, it's 6 of one, half dozen of another. Sad

Not sure what Mary knew or didn't know - just know it was painful to watch her give testimony... was like watching someone get a three hour enema....twice! In 1997 Mary was the Executive Assistant to the Office of Chairman and Vice Chairman at GM... guessing she wishes she was an admin again today!

was anyone in Government Motors subpeona'd about this? or did the govt just have a controlling interest in the stock and didnt look into any day-to-day business?

now i'm wondering if i should take off some dead weight on my keychain. pocketknife? house keys? garage keys? hmmm. harms the ignition you say? thats crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by babeeblumer View Post
    Isn't marketing strategy, to a certain extent, a derivation of conspiracy? This capable, accomplished woman with wholesome Sally Field likability was thoughtfully chosen as the flip side of Wagoner's stone face [[when admonished about corporate jet travel). Everyone agrees that BOTH of them should have driven Cobalts to Capitol Hill. You'd think the consultants would have caught on after the first gaff.

Male or female was probably determined by who had the right "it" factor. Maybe there were no current good-guy George Clooney/Tom Hanks look-alike GM insiders. Character & integrity of Norma Rae fit the bill.

Conspiracy? Policy? Doesn't matter- shame on all. Barra and the rest of the top dogs of corporations and watchdog agencies are certainly well compensated to take the heat. Don't neglect to give NHTSA credit for being ineffective watchdogs as well. Hopefully they are continuing to review their record keeping methods for ALL manufacturers.

Auto companies have avoided acknowledging their responsibility for defects by offering complainants "hush money" to drop their lawsuits and forever hold their tongues. So much cheaper to pay by incident than to potentially effect corporate profits. A shameful longstanding method of resolving serious complaints.

An example- Ford has had ignition issues since the Focus was introduced a decade ago- still no recall, though there were 18 recalls & 13 investigations of other issues in the introductory vehicle. THOUSANDS of complaints and drivers stranded in all sorts of circumstances due to that ignition issue that persists among many model years. Additionally, vehicles with electrical and gas line issues combined- fuel line & stalling issues while turning, wiring and fire issues as well. Serious injuries and deaths result- that's elementary logic.

Ford struggled through several model years of problems with the Focus. Keeping the issues low profile and offering $compensation$ while quietly making corrections resulted in today's top selling car.

GM was playing by "accepted" industry rules for economical vehicles popular with working class customers. Barra puts a friendly face on an ugly situation. Marketing or conspiracy, it's 6 of one, half dozen of another. Sad
    Thanx for your post, Mr. Wagoner. I'm sure everyone will pay no attention to the GM behind the curtain, and start watching Ford.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast