Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sheriff Benny Napoleon resists reimbursing Wayne County...

And he almost won the election...

"Sheriff Benny Napoleon won't commit to reimbursing Wayne County taxpayers for his use of a county vehicle during his failed mayoral campaign, months after promising he would.The Sheriff acknowledged to 7 Action News Investigator Ross Jones that he used his county vehicle to campaign, and initially said it was proper.
    "I’m still the sheriff. I still have responsibilities to respond." Napoleon said. "The President campaigned and he used a plane…because he’s still the President."
    But even the President reimburses taxpayers when he uses Air Force One for politics. The day after we interviewed Napoleon last November, he did an about face and issued a press release that said it’s important that “no taxpayer dollars were used” to fund his campaign travel, and he promised he’ll “rectify the matter immediately.”

He said he’ll pay whatever amount the county’s auditor says he owes taxpayers.
    Now, Napoleon knows the amount, but is changing his mind again. According to his spokeswoman, the amount in question is “about $3,000.” But a source with direct knowledge of the auditor general’s investigation says that the real number is even greater than that, but wouldn’t be specific.
    Napoleon now says he won't reimburse taxpayers until the county's ethics board weighs in. In a statement, his spokeswoman said even when Napoleon was on the campaign trail, he still “actively served as Sheriff and conducted his duties each day.”

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...campaign-trail

classy guy.

I'm sure he'll be running for "elected office" again... and will get lots of votes again

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I'm sure he'll be running for "elected office" again... and will get lots of votes again
    After Cushionberry, anything's possible. Wait until evil Orr leaves.

Did anyone else happen to notice Benny sitting behind the scorers table, center court at the Finals game last night in San Antonio? It was almost like something out of the twilight zone, I did a "wait a minute", and "couldn't have been".... There is no mistaking Benny's ugly mug....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    After Cushionberry, anything's possible. Wait until evil Orr leaves.
    Absolutely. Once Kwame flushed the remaining floater of Detroit's integrity down the bowl, there really isn't anyone left who cares about the petty crap. It's almost like they caught their one big case of the century, and are still out to lunch on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Did anyone else happen to notice Benny sitting behind the scorers table, center court at the Finals game last night in San Antonio? It was almost like something out of the twilight zone, I did a "wait a minute", and "couldn't have been".... There is no mistaking Benny's ugly mug....
    There's better money in law enforcement than Wall Street, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    There's better money in law enforcement than Wall Street, it seems.
    What was that missing word in the COD dictionary again? Restitution?

turns out the real number is a lot higher than what benny said. $18,000. and he is still fighting having to pay it back.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...ed-mayoral-run
    Last edited by Pazen Hingree; October-18-14 at 11:16 AM.

Napoleon seems like a snake\crook to me. I can't believe he had as much support as he did.

Willi Guest

Let's spread the use of Entitlements, by setting examples for people.
    That way nobody has to pay for nothin' because its an entitlement, right Benny.
    Even when a person can easily afford to pay for something - just don't - .
    Set the precedent, so that people follow in your footsteps, and move Detroit forward.
    Power to the People ! Use ""other"" peoples money, not your own, that is the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Let's spread the use of Entitlements, by setting examples for people.
    That way nobody has to pay for nothin' because its an entitlement, right Benny.
    Even when a person can easily afford to pay for something - just don't - .
    Set the precedent, so that people follow in your footsteps, and move Detroit forward.
    Power to the People ! Use ""other"" peoples money, not your own, that is the message.
    Come on now, a small tax spread across the residents of Southeastern Michigan should easily cover it...

[[just thought I'd be the 1st to get that in)

. so is this resolved yet?

Default Benny Napoleon told to reimburse taxpayers $18,186

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    . so is this resolved yet?
    Almost, but not quite resolved. He's still trying to weasel out...

Wayne County's ethics board voted 3-1 Monday that Sheriff Benny Napoleon reimburse taxpayers $18,186 for use of his county SUV during his failed run for Detroit mayor. "You don’t trump the law by ignoring it, if that’s what’s been happening," said Chair William J. Giovan, a retired Wayne County judge who voted that Napoleon pay back the county.
    The only dissenting vote was appointed to the ethics board by Napoleon.
    At issue during today’s meeting was the sheriff's use, and alleged misuse, of his county vehicle during his run for Detroit Mayor last year. In 2013, he admitted to using county SUV on the campaign trail, charging a small fortune to taxpayers. A review by the county’s auditor general later found that use of his county drivers, gas and other costs totaled more than $18,000.

At first, Napoleon promised to pay the county back, but then changed his mind. He asked that the county’s ethics board weigh-in on the issue instead. But after hearing that the board voted against Napoleon, his lawyer Mark Brewer sought a second opinion.
    'There is no urgency for this to be decided today, it will be decided soon," Brewer said, adding that he's now sought the opinion of Attorney General Bill Schuette.
    Most board members were surprised to hear that, especially since it was Napoleon who came to them for guidance.
    "We have not rushed to judgment," Giovan said. "This has been very thoroughly researched."
    Napoleon's lawyer wasn't the only one arguing on th sheriff's behalf. Two of his appointees also took to the podium.

"The law is very grey, and I know you’re looking at words, and words are open to interpretation," said sheriffs department official Sue Hall.
    Napoleon's press Director Paula Bridges argued that her boss was just following in the footsteps of other county officials, and that it would be unfair to go after only after him.
    "It’s been an accepted use of the vehicle for individuals such as the sheriff who is on call 24 hours a day," Bridges said.

But after heated pleas that lasted nearly 30 minutes, board members said they’d heard enough.
    "The law is the law," said ethics boardmember Anthony Guerriero. "And we would be absolute fools as an ethics board if we didn’t apply the law."
    Napoleon's lawyer said he won't be writing the county a check until he hears back from Attorney General Schuette on whether he'll issue an opinion on the matter.

Transportation while running for office is a human right.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Transportation while running for office is a human right.
    I agree with you, but $18K, to me, is quite a sum of money just to be "driving around". There has to more to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I agree with you, but $18K, to me, is quite a sum of money just to be "driving around". There has to more to this.
    Most of it they say is for the salary & fringes of the drivers who apparently drove him around.