Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DetroitYes communication skills...

While I realize we all get emotional on this board just wondered can some of you quit with the constant F**ing this and F** that and the constant degrading personally of each other if you don't agree with what they say... Do you really speak like this in your conversation with people day in and day out in person ?..Some of the language on here is really sad..People years ago seldom spoke like this in this blog and lately the comments are really crude.. Please show a little class, I know you have the courage of anonymity here but you will find in life if you can speak more civily,, your message will be heard more strongly.. That goes for workplace and in your relationships,, It all evolves around a ancient word, its called respect.
    Thanks
    Last edited by DetBill; April-12-14 at 02:54 PM.

Had a conversation with a human resources person a while back. I was amazed when she gave examples of what she has seen on resumes. Examples: "Ain't got no experience, but..." "Won't be working no weekends..." "lol..."
    Communication skills are fading in many places.
    Last edited by Bobl; April-12-14 at 06:51 PM.

Can I use fugly?

It is one of my favorite words in the in-glitch languish.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Can I use fugly?

It is one of my favorite words in the in-glitch languish.
    Hey I like that!

Oh, DetBill, tell us how you really feel!!

Actually love how we aren't censored on here. I talk on here like I would talk to friends, not for an interview. If we got all serious on here, then this website would be lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Actually love how we aren't censored on here. I talk on here like I would talk to friends, not for an interview. If we got all serious on here, then this website would be lame.
    Sorry but can't agree with you, listening to all the profanities flying around doesn't give me a great feeling, guess swearing at each other and friends just doesn't jive here, was just asking for a bit more civility, seems like we are really sliding down, wasn't at all referring to being serious all the time, just treating each other better.

Your all dum.

Look at that sentence. Not only is it grammatically poor, it is argumentative and condescending.

I am also amazed at the poor conjugation of verbs here/ sentence structure. I am not immune to this either, but I at least try to edit after I post.

Our philosophy on this forum is foster free-flowing discourse while requiring civility.

Posts that step over the line are removed when discovered and any follow-up post that reference the offending post are likewise removed.

Those who have stepped over line are handled from PM warning to temporary banning all the way to permanent account termination. Factors such as seniority, past positive contributions to the discussion, degree of the rules violation and other factors go into banning decisions. In other words if you have been a longtime informative contributor and lose it one day you will probably get a warning. If you are a newbie or review of past posts reveal a negative pattern you will be gone.

Needless to say, this is unpleasant and time-consuming unpaid work for us. But our experience shows that it is the only way to keep the forum decently civil.

What is the alternative?

Sun-Times kills comments until it can fix ‘morass of negativity, racism, and hate speech
    Last edited by admin; April-13-14 at 08:30 AM.

If you really want to help us please join those who use the 'report post' link that appears under every post to alert us of rules violations. We cannot read every post and rely on reports of violations to maintain civility.

But the biggest help anyone can offer is to be nice to one another. Discuss the topic, not the person, agree to disagree, write in a pleasant and informative manner, take time to complement when deserved and always stay on topic.

We also invite your suggestions.
    Thanks.

Is "dum" an english word?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Your all dum.

Look at that sentence. Not only is it grammatically poor, it is argumentative and condescending.

I am also amazed at the poor conjugation of verbs here/ sentence structure. I am not immune to this either, but I at least try to edit after I post.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    The Great Gazoo would undoubtedly reply, "Yes, dumdum."

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    While I realize we all get emotional on this board just wondered can some of you quit with the constant F**ing this and F** that and the constant degrading personally of each other if you don't agree with what they say... Do you really speak like this in your conversation with people day in and day out in person ?..Some of the language on here is really sad..People years ago seldom spoke like this in this blog and lately the comments are really crude.. Please show a little class, I know you have the courage of anonymity here but you will find in life if you can speak more civily,, your message will be heard more strongly.. That goes for workplace and in your relationships,, It all evolves around a ancient word, its called respect.
    Thanks
    This appears to be a solution in search of a problem.

Too much sniping, here. I'm going out for breakfast, with a newspaper. Have a good day, all.

Sorry but can't agree with you, listening to all the profanities flying around doesn't give me a great feeling, guess swearing at each other and friends just doesn't jive here, was just asking for a bit more civility, seems like we are really sliding down, wasn't at all referring to being serious all the time, just treating each other better.
    I don't think people are swearing at each other. Mostly things like "That is so fucking stupid". Its not even that bad. Sometimes I get emotional and drop some F bombs and other cuss words but its not towards insulting anyone. I've been part of forums before where they are policed like the KGB and they are no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Too much sniping, here. I'm going out for breakfast, with a newspaper. Have a good day, all.
    what is this "newspaper?"

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post

Totally overlooking the improper use of your [[possessive) instead of subject/predicate [[you're).

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    what is this "newspaper?"
    Ha ha ha, yes, I was thinking the same thing. Don't forget to tip the paperboy.

Default The Dumbing Down of America

Thanks
    Here is what Carol Bartz –Former Yahoo President and CEO – thinks of the Yahoo board that fired her: "These people fu--ed me.
    Step back 45 years…
    In 1969 Andrew Malcolm wrote an article for The New York Times, Malcolm was covering the trial of the Chicago 7; during the trial one of the defendants stood up and shouted. Malcolm caught the moment in his article saying the man had yelled "an eight-letter barnyard epithet." The obscenity uttered was "bullshit" -- a word so tame by today's nonexistent standards it wouldn't even raise an eye.
    The F word can be the subject of a sentence, a noun, verb, adjective adverb, pronoun, or interjection. Its something of a contest, or perhaps the need to impress ones friends with their ability to swear repeatedly, over and over again, repeating the same word, occasionally switching it up by adding a prefix or suffix to their favorite swear word.
    There are phrases that keep getting repeated over and over again, you know what I’m saying, you know what I’m saying, you know what I’m saying, as if I didn't catch it the first 20 times you said it, but despite repeatedly asking me, the answer remains = no, I have no idea what you mean, or are trying to say.
    Personality research suggests that people who swear more than others, score higher on traits such as extraversion, dominance, hostility and Type A personalities [[Shocker).
    Swearing, which was once reserved for uneducated individuals, who would substitute swears words to compensate for their lack of command of the English language. Swearing was common among people of the lower socioeconomic classes as well. While swearing may still be prevalent in these classes – the art of perfecting a complete sentence composed entirely of profanity is an accomplishment today, akin to a college diploma.
    The English language has digressed into this unintelligible street vernacular, laced with profanity, grunts, groans, and the words huh – huh – huh, you know what I'm sayin?
    Last edited by SDCC; April-14-14 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typos

"Profanity is an attempt by the ignorant to express themselves".

Anybody remember when you had to be 18 to buy the uncensored version of Kick Out the Jams?

While I realize we all get emotional on this board just wondered can some of you quit with the constant F**ing this and F** that and the constant degrading personally of each other if you don't agree with what they say... Do you really speak like this in your conversation with people day in and day out in person ? It all evolves around a ancient word, its called respect.
    I'm glad this thread was started by DetBill. I think in the above F-words often, and toss a few around at times myself in my private life. At the same time I've never felt a need to include them while posting here on Dyes.

The "KGB" have never been a part of Dyes moderation. In post #10 I see "free-flowing discourse while requiring civility" mentioned... I'm not so sure where "That is so fucking stupid" fits in with "civility", but to each their own. I'd rather take a little longer to state why I disagree with your position [[other than it being the most F'ed up thing I've read this year), or offer another viewpoint, maybe even bring some new info into the discussion.

Forum policy has always allowed use of expletives. They are a part of the vernacular.

The key is how words are used. What is not permitted is the use of any words that personally attack members of the forum or otherwise disrupt discussion.

"That's f****** awesome news!" vs. "Your are a f***** idiot."

I didn't see a "swear jar" ...

But, hey, what the fuck. I'll try to rein it in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    "Profanity is an attempt by the ignorant to express themselves".

Anybody remember when you had to be 18 to buy the uncensored version of Kick Out the Jams?
    Funny, I used to tell my kids swearing was an attempt by ignorant people to express themselves forcefully in a futile fashion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast