Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

2blocksaway Guest

Default Cobo Hall: Just keep it.

I'm watching Fox 2 news and the lead story was about leasing Cobo and I am just tired of the story.

If the people living in Detroit and the people representing Detroiters want to keep this "jewel" under city control then I say everyone from Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties should let Detroit keep running it then sit back and enjoy the show.

How long before the Auto Show leaves, city crews are putting up plywood, and dipshi*s are "exploring" it and posting the pictures here?

Bearinabox Guest

"The people living in Detroit and the people representing Detroiters" are by no means unanimous on this issue. Just because a few idiots with nothing better to do show up at all the council meetings and yell and wave their arms doesn't mean there aren't people in the city who know how to count.

Bearinabox-

Well then I guess there is simply a majority of people who can't count that keep voting these idiots in?

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    I'm watching Fox 2 news and the lead story was about leasing Cobo and I am just tired of the story.

If the people living in Detroit and the people representing Detroiters want to keep this "jewel" under city control then I say everyone from Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties should let Detroit keep running it then sit back and enjoy the show.

How long before the Auto Show leaves, city crews are putting up plywood, and dipshi*s are "exploring" it and posting the pictures here?
    To the poster who started this thread I say, dude chill...... There has been so many threads about Cobo. Do we need another one before the CC has to vote on the resolution? You are griping about an issue that has been beaten to the ground.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detromb21 View Post
    Bearinabox-

Well then I guess there is simply a majority of people who can't count that keep voting these idiots in?
    Name one Detroit politician who was elected based on their opposition to the Cobo deal. Mayor Freman Hendrix?

Default cobo

I don't think we should expand it. Just need to tear down walls and Cobo will have the room that it needs. If auto show want to leave then let them leave. When they see that participation will dwindle way out in Novi. They would come running back to centraly located Detroit.

LodgeDodger Guest

[quote=stasu1213;47503]I don't think we should expand it. Just need to tear down walls and Cobo will have the room that it needs. If auto show want to leave then let them leave. When they see that participation will dwindle way out in Novi. They would come running back to centraly located Detroit.[/quote]

If NAIAS leaves Detroit, it will never return.

I agree with LodgeDodger. If the auto show leaves Detroit, it will never return. I will go further, however. If the NAIAS leaves Detroit, it may temporarily go to Novi or someplace else, but I think the show will leave the region entirely if it does not remain in Detroit. [[It may leave anyway eventually if the region does not get its act together, but the region must do its best to retain the show as the nation's foremost car show.)

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I agree with LodgeDodger. If the auto show leaves Detroit, it will never return. I will go further, however. If the NAIAS leaves Detroit, it may temporarily go to Novi or someplace else, but I think the show will leave the region entirely if it does not remain in Detroit. [[It may leave anyway eventually if the region does not get its act together, but the region must do its best to retain the show as the nation's foremost car show.)
    Very true. NAIAS might remain in the area in a lesser iteration, but it will never return to Detroit.

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy that the Detroit Auto Dealers Association even considers moving the show out of Michigan? Like, don't they realize how disloyal that would make them look if you had Chicago's North American International Auto Show brought to you by the Detroit Auto Dealers Association...and no show in metro Detroit? Then again, I don't know the exact business structure within the NAIAS, but I thought it was DADA that ultimately determines where the show will be located. Or am I wrong?

It's quaint how so many people look at "Loyalty." It has very little effect on the bottom line. After all, if we were a loyal country with our purchases, GM would still be #1, and Toyota wouldn't of gotten more than a little foothold. We're not.

Moving NAIAS out of Detroit would be a business decision - as well as out of the state. Between the MUCH lower costs [[no union workers at Rock), better service [[I've worked in both and Rock is cheaper and the workers actually do their jobs - sorry guys, I've been across the country, union and non-union and Cobo's staff is the slowest), better location for their target market, it'd be fine in Novi.

Sure, they wouldn't get as much spinoff; but as I've had officials tell me, it's in January. It's not like there's lots of walking around anyway and 95% of the people who attend do not actually spend additional money in the community. The journalists do, but they're a small minority of the total attendance. The plans in Novi I'm sure have some sort of faux downtown or attraction nearby.

This is one of the reasons why some Detroit city officials aren't so worried about losing it - sure, the money goes to Cobo, but in reality, there are only spinoff crumbs. If that's actually the case, a convention center surrounded by not much probably could swing it. Lord knows if I hear another person bitch about the old Ponch and the shooting/bulletholes - that story has taken on a life of it's own. I've heard it's everything from a glock to an AK to a shooter to ten shooters to it was on the street to it was a driveby by the uninformed. This shit takes a life of it's own.

There's some journos who would miss the city, but also some that couldn't care less, or would welcome not being in [[perceptually) scary downtown.

I don't think it's going to come to that though. Dave's got the council votes, he says. This is a real test - if he gets this vote, his policies are going to be okay. He loses this one, after publicly stating he has the votes, we're back to ineffective mayor/council bickering. He also looks ineffective to his suburban counterparts. This deal IS a test.

Downtown diva Guest

I agree. let detroit keep it's jewel.

i am sure they will do a jim dandy job of renovating it to keep the auto
    show.

MIRepublic Guest

Why are we still talking about Cobo? The legislation is written as such that the council's vote, this time, is non-binding and we know that Bing is going to approve this, so why are we even still discussing a foregone conclusion?