Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Midtown Detroit Updates 4/9, More Green Alleys, HopCat, Lawrence Tech and More.

From the MDI Development Newsletter email Today 4/9
    1. HopCat will begin interior demo work on their building at Woodward and Canfield this week.

2. MDI is partnering with Shinola to construct a green alley that will connect Willis and Canfield just west of Avalon Bakery. Construction of this sustainable new amenity will begin this month.

3. Also this month, we'll begin construction on the three story commercial building at the corner of Woodward and Willis. Estimated construction time is eight months. Contact us for leasing information.

4. Sweet Lorraine's Fabulous Mac n' Cheez will open a new location at the corner of Cass and Warren this summer. They plan to hire 20 employees and serve their most popular creations including vegetarian and meat topped mac and cheese dishes as well as soups, salads, and sandwiches.

5. Demolition of the two story building at the future site of the WSU Physician's building on Woodward just north of Mack will begin in early June.

wow all good news. I was wondering when these projects would take shape.. The only one I haven't heard jack squat about in about a year is the Queen Lillian Midtown Professional building on woodward next to Detroit One Coney. When the fu*& is that gonna get going?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    wow all good news. I was wondering when these projects would take shape.. The only one I haven't heard jack squat about in about a year is the Queen Lillian Midtown Professional building on woodward next to Detroit One Coney. When the fu*& is that gonna get going?
    It is good news until those business have to get the final signature of the inspectors to open there doors. I had went past Starbucks at Campus Martius today. Today was suppose to be their opening day. They have to delay their opening for a second time due to the inspector not showing up to give the final signature for Starbucks to open. These silly games that are played by the city and it's incompetent or paid off corrupt inspectors causes some chain or local retail to have second thoughts about opening in Detroit. This setback for starbucks are well as other soon to open business make me wonder if these inspectors are still corrupt or just that incompetent. I thought that Duggan was going to improve these services

I happened to be wondering today if there was any new progress on the Davenport and Cass Plaza renovations, and Curbed posted this today:

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...egins.php#more

Glad to see this is moving along. These projects were only announced in December, and for once something seems to be getting off the ground right away!

From French777 above: "2. MDI is partnering with Shinola to construct a green alley that will connect Willis and Canfield just west of Avalon Bakery. Construction of this sustainable new amenity will begin this month." - OMG, the much disparaged Shinola, which has no ties to Detroit, seems to be doing more improve the city again. Damn them!
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-09-14 at 06:25 PM.

Starbucks is officiallly open in Campus Martius. Bring on the java!

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Starbucks is officiallly open in Campus Martius. Bring on the java!
    loooll yaaay... you go all you silly ass overpriced coffee drinking morons...

too funny

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It is good news until those business have to get the final signature of the inspectors to open there doors. I had went past Starbucks at Campus Martius today. Today was suppose to be their opening day. They have to delay their opening for a second time due to the inspector not showing up to give the final signature for Starbucks to open. These silly games that are played by the city and it's incompetent or paid off corrupt inspectors causes some chain or local retail to have second thoughts about opening in Detroit. This setback for starbucks are well as other soon to open business make me wonder if these inspectors are still corrupt or just that incompetent. I thought that Duggan was going to improve these services
    This isn't a problem that exists solely in Detroit. Is it unfortunate? Yes. Hopefully we can change it. But as someone that has opened similar businesses in Chicago and New York, I know that this happens EVERYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    loooll yaaay... you go all you silly ass overpriced coffee drinking morons...

too funny

MizMotown!?!?! You're right, though, the stuff is AWFUL!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    MizMotown!?!?! You're right, though, the stuff is AWFUL!
    High priced awful.......LOL!

I know.. my bad :-) I just can't get excited about of a bunch of folks giddy about extremely over priced coffee that is not even good for you if you add all that crap to it. Must be a yuppy thing or something [[do they still use that word?) lol

Either way I guess high caffeine fixes and energy drinks are needed to slave away at that mortgage co. to sell..sell...sell.. blah blah blah Is life just sucking the life out of everyone in such a way we need energy supplements in high doses?

just sayin
    Last edited by MizMotown; April-10-14 at 11:48 AM.

I know.. my bad :-) I just can't get excited about of a bunch of folks giddy about extremely over priced coffee that is not even good for you if you add all that crap to it. Must be a yuppy thing or something [[do they still use that word?) lol

Either way I guess high caffeine fixes and energy drinks are needed to slave away at that mortgage co. to sell..sell...sell.. blah blah blah Is life just sucking the life out of everyone in such a way we need energy supplements in high doses?

just sayin

A friend refers to the place as "Four-Bucks Coffee".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    A friend refers to the place as "Four-Bucks Coffee".
    lol... i guess addicts will pay anything for their fix...

As a non-coffee drinker, I am neutral as to Starbucks quality and pricing. But they are popular as hell, which leads me to reach the conclusion that they are supplying a product some people are happy to pay for. They also pay reasonably well for retail jobs, with benefits. And they still make a profit. Also, in NYC [[where there I think 200 Starbucks locations), they are always the cleanest store on the block, maintaining the space in front of the store, and cordially allowing anyone to use their restrooms. While seldom a patron, I am happy they are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    As a non-coffee drinker, I am neutral as to Starbucks quality and pricing. But they are popular as hell, which leads me to reach the conclusion that they are supplying a product some people are happy to pay for. They also pay reasonably well for retail jobs, with benefits. And they still make a profit. Also, in NYC [[where there I think 200 Starbucks locations), they are always the cleanest store on the block, maintaining the space in front of the store, and cordially allowing anyone to use their restrooms. While seldom a patron, I am happy they are coming.
    They do seem to be a fair employer, from what I hear. It's nice to have a mix of national and local to choose from, as long as the former does not force out the latter. While lots of people swear by Starbucks it always seems bitter to me, and I seldom patronize them - but sometimes I do, usually on a trip when its the easiest thing to grab.

I wonder what coffee I'd buy if I still worked in downtown Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    While lots of people swear by Starbucks it always seems bitter to me, and I seldom patronize them - but sometimes I do, usually on a trip when its the easiest thing to grab.
    When I patronize Starbucks I usually have tea for the reason you mentioned. Tastes bitter and burnt to me. But is may be because I am used to drinking black coffee. I notice that most folks who order there get it all loaded with milk, sugar etc.

I can't see paying a premium price for a drink I don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    They do seem to be a fair employer, from what I hear. It's nice to have a mix of national and local to choose from, as long as the former does not force out the latter. While lots of people swear by Starbucks it always seems bitter to me, and I seldom patronize them - but sometimes I do, usually on a trip when its the easiest thing to grab.

I wonder what coffee I'd buy if I still worked in downtown Detroit?

To each there own... depending on your perspective I guess..

It seems alot who have worked there love the atmosphere but still say it's hard work for little pay. Their "Special Blend" package is nice and dandy but how many employees actually get 20 hours per week?

Labor practises http://starbucksunfair.org/

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-fa...nd-2011-3?op=1

Supposedly genetically modified coffee and milk from this source... http://organicconsumers.org/starbucks/actionaid.cfm
    Last edited by MizMotown; April-10-14 at 01:27 PM.

A couple of months ago, the lights in the Starbuck's sign in the RenCen were partially out. It read "UCKS." That pretty much sums it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    A couple of months ago, the lights in the Starbuck's sign in the RenCen were partially out. It read "UCKS." That pretty much sums it up for me.
    LOL !!!!!!! Beauty!

It seems alot who have worked there love the atmosphere but still say it's hard work for little pay. Their "Special Blend" package is nice and dandy but how many employees actually get 20 hours per week?

Supposedly genetically modified coffee and milk from this source... http://organicconsumers.org/starbucks/actionaid.cfm
    Literally everything, EVERY SINGLE THING, you have ever eaten is genetically modified. None of the plants or animals we use for food today are anything like their original ancestors, because we have genetically selected the traits we desired over a long period of time. Even precious "organic" food.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Literally everything, EVERY SINGLE THING, you have ever eaten is genetically modified. None of the plants or animals we use for food today are anything like their original ancestors, because we have genetically selected the traits we desired over a long period of time. Even precious "organic" food.
    But but but but Dr. Nandi or Dr. Oz said that GMOs have Satan Hitlers in them!!!!

I am not a big fan of Starbucks. I just want to see businesses open in a timely manner without having the inspectors stalling the businesses opening for he/she fail to show when scheduled to ok the businesses to open. This had been an ongoing complaint of small businesses and potential small businesses who had and are trying to open in this city. More businesses equal more people employed especially the younger ones. I don't know who is pulling the strings. These inspectors had been busted in the past for taking pay offs. Maybe that is why inspectors are more leanient on apartment buildings and their owners as they are retail and restaurants that are trying to set up shop in this city

Retail jobs in general are not highly paid. If they were, no one could afford to shop. The relevant comparison would be how many mom & pop coffee shops pay more and offer more/better benefits than Starbucks.

MizMidtown, I am not saying you are in the category I am about to mention, but this reminds me of people in Brooklyn who cried bloody murder when Target was opening downtown. They said Target would put a handful of local bodegas out of business [[note: the local retail scene only improved after Target opened, due to transformed foot traffic). Bodegas are notorious for paying a tiny wage, under the table, with no benefits. Target paid better [[and offers at least modest benefits) than any threatened bodega. Paying your few laborers $5/hr with no overtime begat no protests for the bodegas. Paying anyone less than $12/hr for hundreds of employees was grounds for closing evil corporate Target to many protesters. Simultaneously stupid and hypocritical.

The great news about retail jobs [[and I have worked a number of them in my life) is that entry level jobs are rarely a career. They are accessible, because anyone from teenagers to senior citizens can perform them, and no special education or training is necessary prior to being hired [[beyond very basic literacy). They are largely meritocracies [[nearly all management in retail starts out at the bottom), provide basic job skills the workers take with them, and offer scheduling flexibility unknown to most other professions, particularly beneficial for students and those looking for a second job or needing to take care of kids. If retail paid a lot, there would be a lot fewer retail jobs [[remember Service Merchandise? They ran their stores with a tiny staff. Out of business.) and a lot fewer people would have the opportunities those jobs do afford. I wish all the people who look down their noses at retail jobs would open their own stores, run on their own economic ideas, and leave everyone else free to make their own choices. When the "dream" stores close a week later, they might see the retail world in a different light.

I don't often go to Starbucks, but I happened to stop by two of them on Tuesday, Farmington and the Ren Cen. Two bucks for a medium coffee, black. Pretty damn tasty, and hardly "extremely overpriced". Paid about the same for my mediocre Tim Horton's cup today.

Default If it takes 20 minutes to order - its going to cost $20.00

Starbucks price is comparable to just about every other cup of coffee, I run around downtown San Diego on certain days, and for less than two bucks I get a hot cup of Joe accompanied by its legendary lethality. I like my coffee just the way its poured out of the pot, plain jane.
    Each Starbucks is different, they become part of the building they are in, or the area they are in, one Starbucks downtown is two stories high, the second floor is multi-purpose; with a large table for meetings to a sofa and easy chairs. Coffee Shops, as well as, Starbucks Coffee shops, are a dime a dozen here, convenience, price, and the sweet treats, are why I pick Starbucks.
    For less than $2.00 I get a killer cup of Joe, Wi-Fi, and a clean restroom…
    I’ve had 7-11 Coffee as well, it’s fine
    7-11 alternates buildings with Starbucks

I understand what you are saying and maybe i'm just looking at things in a broader perspective. Not to get off the subject of this thread too much these types are jobs are fine for the younger and older folks just trying to supplement their income. but for a person that is basically forced into these types of jobs and trying to make it day to day, I don't think it's possible. Now it's just not retail paying low wages it's slowly becoming the norm and the competition is stiff.

When I first started out in the working world I would open up the Livonia Observer and there were pages of pages of jobs I could pick from. I would give them a call, fill out an application, interview and 9 times out of 10 be hired within the week. Now there are less jobs and about 300 people applying to be a barista at Starbucks. These are not all teens and seniors competing for these jobs. They are people trying to survive with little hope of a significant raise. I've know people who were layed off from good paying jobs who had to resort to place like Little Ceasar's just to get gas money to continue looking for a job. Trust me at Little Cesar's one is lucky to get more than 12 hours a week. The manager's compete over the hours themselves so they can make a little bit of money. And if a manager doesn't really like you good luck with that.

I could go on I'm sure but I think a precedence is being set in the future of working Americans that is downright scary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast