Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Do the big 3 have any manufacturing plants inside Detroit City Limits?

Serious question. I was talking about it to my friend the other day and we were thinking that's pretty messed up if they don't.. but I don't think they do??? I know there's a bunch right outside Detroit [[warren, etc.) but any within?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Serious question. I was talking about it to my friend the other day and we were thinking that's pretty messed up if they don't.. but I don't think they do??? I know there's a bunch right outside Detroit [[warren, etc.) but any within?
    Well, GM Poletown [[part of which is in Hamtramck), and the Chrysler Jefferson/Connor/Mack complex come directly to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Well, GM Poletown [[part of which is in Hamtramck), and the Chrysler Jefferson/Connor/Mack complex come directly to mind.
    Is Chrysler still one of the Big 3 now that its a wholly owned subsidiary of Fiat?

First off, Google is your friend but I like to help. Mt. Elliott Tool and Dye, Connor Assembly and Jefferson North are Chrysler and Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly is GM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Is Chrysler still one of the Big 3 now that its a wholly owned subsidiary of Fiat?
    Yes. especially if Marchionne [[sp?) has his way and the combined physical HQ moves to AH

Hopefully the facilities that exist now will be maintained for the foreseeable future. But I wouldn’t get my hopes up on Big-3 related operations opening new factories in urban Detroit anytime soon, if ‘ever’. City and regional leadership need to aggressively court and incubate other types of industries to grow in Detroit’s urban boundaries. Pragmatically, I’m not sure that heavy manufacturing is the best industry to look at.
    Personally, I’m sick of smokestacks and smog being equated with civilization. I’d like to see a lot more greener/cleaner industries take root in the city.

No, since technically it's now a wholly owned subsidiary of a foreign automaker.

OK, big 2 + 1. Whether owned by Fiat or old Walter himself, Chrysler still builds more cars in the City of Detroit than any other company, by a fair margin. And that has long been the case. In addition to the Jefferson Ave. and Mack Ave. complexes, here on the east side there was Lynch Rd., Huber, Mound, Mt. Elliott, and, of course, Dodge Main in Hamtramck.

Other than Poletown, the only really major GM production facility that I remember in the city was the old Clark St. Cadillac plant. GM's facilities and subsidiaries have always been spread out all over southern Michigan.

I don't think Ford ever had any major production facilities inside the city, at least not in my lifetime. Hell, one of the main reasons that Highland Park is a separate city, and strongly resisted annexation to Detroit, is due to Ford's giant plant being located there. And pretty much the same is true of the eastern part of Dearborn [[formerly Fordson).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-08-14 at 01:48 PM.

Depending on whether production is just final assembly or not for the sake of this discussion GM had facilities in the city other than Clark St. Assembly. Fisher Body Fleetwood was at Fort and West End. GM also had the Ternstadt plant at Fort & Livernois. A large part of the Chevrolet Gear & Axle-Chevrolet Forge complex was in Detroit. Well, at least the buildings on the west side of St. Aubin.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; April-08-14 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Depending on whether production is just final assembly or not for the sake of this discussion GM had facilities in the city other than Clark St. Assembly. Fisher Body Fleetwood was at Fort and West End. GM also had the Ternstadt plant at Fort & Livernois. A large part of the Chevrolet Gear & Axle-Chevrolet Forge was in Detroit at least the plants on the west side of St. Aubin.
    I forgot about Fleetwood! Which is pretty stupid, because I had some good friends who worked there.

Mercedes owns Detroit Diesel off of Outer Drive between Schoolcraft and Plymouth.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I forgot about Fleetwood! Which is pretty stupid, because I had some good friends who worked there.
    Some other smaller and less known Fisher Body plants were in Detroit as well. Fisher Body #37 on E. Milwaukee and Fisher Body #40 on E. Ferry, and of course Fisher #21

Chrysler also had the Amplex plant at Harper & Mt. Elliot.

I know the poster Mikem has provided comprehensive lists in the past.

Nice to 'see' you Hornwrecker again, just when I was wondered if someone would mention OCF, the most legendary DetroitYES thread.

OCF aka Old Car Factories thread is archived here.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Mercedes owns Detroit Diesel off of Outer Drive between Schoolcraft and Plymouth.
    Mildly interesting: Detroit Diesel offices [[and address) are in Detroit, while the manufacturing facility is connected via pedestrian bridge in Redford.