Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Badges-, Factory ID badges, Public Employee Badges, Tool Checks, Service Pins

I have a collection of employee badges for Detroit based companies [[Cadillac, Chrysler, LaSalle, Strohs, Pfeiffer Brewing, Burroughs,Buhl Manufacturing and many more) and public employees [[Police, Detroit Street Railways, Parking Attendants, DPW, etc). I wondered if there were other collectors out there who wish to exchange info. Currently I'm trying to identify two job descriptions used on Briggs badges. One says "Passer" and another says "Ripe Carrier" [[clear imprint not "Pipe"). Wondered if anyone can help.

I hope you know about the fake badges on ebay from thedustydoll and sharkbait121 those are bs badges hope you have not bought any

Quote Originally Posted by Aerojoe View Post
    I hope you know about the fake badges on ebay from thedustydoll and sharkbait121 those are bs badges hope you have not bought any
    I am aware of fakes and they seem to be proliferating like crazy. Thanks

There used to be a company called 'A-Day Badge Company' in what is now that huge burnt-out hulk of an apartment building on Woodward near Highland Park. Long gone now, though for a minute they were downtown...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-day-badge-company-detroit

Quote Originally Posted by bmcb View Post
    I am aware of fakes and they seem to be proliferating like crazy. Thanks
    Thats because the New guy running / owns Weyhing brothers is making new fake badges from old badges and blanks you really have to watch what you by more than ever now.

Just curious Aero, what are some of the fakes out there to watch for? I collect but on a very limited basis and most of my "blanks" I've had for years before ebay. [[McLouth, Great Lakes Steel) Seems like there are a ton of Ford Badges out there, some advertised as "new". Thanks!

Thats because the New guy running / owns Weyhing brothers is making new fake badges from old badges and blanks you really have to watch what you by more than ever now.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    Just curious Aero, what are some of the fakes out there to watch for? I collect but on a very limited basis and most of my "blanks" I've had for years before ebay. [[McLouth, Great Lakes Steel) Seems like there are a ton of Ford Badges out there, some advertised as "new". Thanks!
    Thats the problem this guy is making everything at one time Weyhing was one of the premier badge makers so they had dies for everybody from Detroit Police to strohs brewery and hudson's its more you need to know what to look for in a badge with hallmarks and style of construction and clasp type.

Like I said the sellers on ebay are selling all fakes sharkbite and thedustydoll but people are buying them and don't know they are fake so the sell them as original badges not knowing any better.

Thats the problem this guy is making everything at one time Weyhing was one of the premier badge makers so they had dies for everybody from Detroit Police to strohs brewery and hudson's its more you need to know what to look for in a badge with hallmarks and style of construction and clasp type.

Like I said the sellers on ebay are selling all fakes sharkbite and thedustydoll but people are buying them and don't know they are fake so the sell them as original badges not knowing any better.
    Thank you! I appreciate the info. I was just curious.

The problem is made worse because the new owner is using the Weyhing hallmark on the back of the new badges. I really am careful about looking for signs of age or wear. If i'm unsure, I pass.

You should be seeing the number of new fakes drying up. Weyhing Bros was acquired by Smith and Warren, one of the bigger makers of badges and insignia. They're based in New York somewhere. The good news about that is that they generally won't produce or sell a badge without verifying that the buyer is legit. Won't stop what's already in the wind though.

http://www.smithwarren.com/aboutus/news.html#13