Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Historical question... Wolverine Ginger Ale Co.

A friend of mine found a bottle imprinted "Wolverine Ginger Ale Co." A quick search shows that they had a plant here and Toledo, but couldn't find any other information.

Does anyone have any familiarity with it?

Thanks!

There was a factory on Belle Isle that produced Wolverine Ginger Ale. There are several versions of the embossed WGA bottles and there are two ACL bottles that I know of. There's a black and yellow sun burst for WGA and there's a squat green and white bottle for Bull Dog Ginger ale bottled by WGA. I own 3 different WGA bottles. Will post pictures if you're interested. I have also seen a WGA bottle embossed Grand Rapids

I used to get Bulldog Ginger Beer by the case from Atlas Beverages at their factory on Conant. Great stuff and I really miss it.

I have a couple of Wolverine Ginger Ale seltzer bottles I would be interested in where they were located aswell

Believe there used to be an Atlas facility on West Vernor & Casgrain.

I highly doubt that there was ever a soda pop bottler on Belle Isle!

Atlas was on Conant and Carpenter, right at the Hamtramck-Detroit border, and was run by the Tomaszewski family. Their most popular products were Brownie Root Beer [[which was franchised nationally for a while) and Bulldog Ginger Beer. I remember as a kid going to the plant/store on Conant for the latter product, which was a necessary ingredient in my Dad's favorite summer vodka drink.

I believe they also had a couple of other facilities around the area. I remember one that was close to Tiger Stadium. Their places were like the later Towne Club stores - a great place to pick up a variety of inexpensive pop flavors by the case for kid parties, etc.

Wolverine beverages though were, I believe, produced by the Great Lakes Coca Cola bottling company, which was in Jackson. Like a lot of the independently-owned Coke local bottling facilities in those days, they produced their own line of other flavors for local distribution along with their Coca Cola licensed products.

I remember as a kid going to the plant/store on Conant for the latter product, which was a necessary ingredient in my Dad's favorite summer vodka drink.

I'm guessing your dad's favorite summer drink was a Moscow Mule?