Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grand Rapids has much to be proud of. I like GR, but comparing it to Detroit is folly. It is probably one of the best cities of its size in the country. In general, comparing city x to city y is a useless exercise

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroit problem is a few old men are controlling the whole show.
    Well, Grand Rapids has their share of wealthy men pulling a lot of strings. DeVos and Van Andel, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Grand Rapids spends a lot of advertising money bragging about its food and beer, but really, neither are as good as what you can get in Detroit.
    Woah, now, Founders blows anything from Detroit out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    Let's be honest. GR has nothing on detroit, absolutely nothing. Even with all the abandoned buildings no other city in michigan can compare.
    Depends on what you're looking for. Grand Rapids appeals to me way more than Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Depends on what you're looking for. Grand Rapids appeals to me way more than Detroit.
    My honest opinion is that I agree with Noise on this one. GR has a lot on Detroit even though they are very different and tough to compare. For a mid sized town GR, in many ways, offers more than Detroit.

Well, Grand Rapids has their share of wealthy men pulling a lot of strings. DeVos and Van Andel, at least.
    Don't forget the Meijer family

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Don't forget the Meijer family
    I purposely left them off, but only because I couldn't pinpoint anything like I could with the other two, but I suspect you're totally correct.

I purposely left them off, but only because I couldn't pinpoint anything like I could with the other two, but I suspect you're totally correct.
    one of the coolest things there - Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. Well, that's actually in the Township now that I think of it

one of the coolest things there - Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. Well, that's actually in the Township now that I think of it
    Oh, no doubt, but I wasn't certain that translated to being a big decision-maker in the city.

Oh, no doubt, but I wasn't certain that translated to being a big decision-maker in the city.
    A big part of the good in GR is the cities commitment to the arts, and I think the Meijer family has played a big role in that.

A big part of the good in GR is the cities commitment to the arts, and I think the Meijer family has played a big role in that.
    You don't really have to convince me. I was agreeing with you.

I know DeVos was an ArtPrize founder...were the Meijer's involved in that planning? Speaking of which, I've always enjoyed ArtPrize. Great event.

You don't really have to convince me. I was agreeing with you.

I know DeVos was an ArtPrize founder...were the Meijer's involved in that planning? Speaking of which, I've always enjoyed ArtPrize. Great event.
    no, but Meijer is a major sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2