Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Post Cards

Default Post Cards

Well, here is a stupid question: where can I go to buy some Detroit oriented postcards? I have a Guyanese lady visiting me who wants to send some back home and I can't even remember the last time I saw a post card.

Thanks in advance!

Inside the Fisher Building are a number of places... Metro Airport, the tiny snack shop in the lobby of the Guardian Building, Borders, Ren Cen... student bookstore at WSU, any Cuninghams,... they'll have a good sellection.

If she wanted to go vintage you could go to John K. Kings and buy one of their old ones. Last time I was there the had plenty of never used cards.

ilovecitybird.com sells some Detroit-themed greeting cards. Find them under "Paper Goods." Made in detroit!

I pick up new Detroit postcards every few months for my collection....at Meijer, Hallmark, and Walgreens.

Thanks, all! You have clued me in to some very obvious places, lol. Appreciate the help.

7. Default

The news stand in the RenCen always has a rack.

Gnome,
    Cunninghams? I wish.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Gnome,
    Cunninghams? I wish.
    Me, too. *sigh* I've been looking for some Tiger Beat magazines with Donny Osmond gracing the cover...

Here's for you, LD.

Both the bookstores at Cass and Warren at Wayne State carry Detroit postcards.

Gnome already mentioned the Fisher Building - specifically, I'd check out the rack of post cards at Pure Detroit.

Jcole: Thanks so much for that "blast from the past" Tiger Beat!!! Donny, Bobby, and David certainly captured my heart way back then....

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Jcole: Thanks so much for that "blast from the past" Tiger Beat!!! Donny, Bobby, and David certainly captured my heart way back then....
    Jcole & Kathleen, check out my post on the Non Detroit Forum, Guys we Dig thread. Bobby just turned 66 two days ago and is still hot and sexy!

Postcards: Pure Detroit, perhaps?

Jcole, Kathleen, and Maxine 1958 - loved Tiger Beat!!! See you on the "Guys we Dig" thread!

Here is a collection of Detroit postcards mostly from the the turn of the 20th Century.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keglerw...7621699372291/

Ed Gollick,
    Gnome,
    Cunninghams? I wish.

Isnt that near Rexall??

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Ed Gollick,
    Gnome,
    Cunninghams? I wish.

Isnt that near Rexall??
    Yeah, just down the street from Kresge's

Zitro, I used to collect postcards and belonged to the collector's club that met in the basement of the Detroit Historical Institute basement back in, oh, 1968 or so. Those are the kind of postcards that everyone tried to get back then. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Zitro, I used to collect postcards and belonged to the collector's club that met in the basement of the Detroit Historical Institute basement back in, oh, 1968 or so. Those are the kind of postcards that everyone tried to get back then. Thanks for posting.

Thanks JC, oddly enough I found most of these at a garage sale in Iowa. I think I paid five bucks for the lot

Were they in shoe boxes? Maybe they were the ones my mom got rid of when we moved.

Wally Jung gives postcard shows a couple of times a year and there are abundant cards for all tastes.
    The best , I think, are Detroit Publishing Co. Cards ---they started in 1897 and ended in 1924---they were lithographs of high quality from all over the country.
    Det. Pub. made 7 million cards in 1907 alone so you can see why there are still some of them around. Collection post cards is the most fun hobby I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Were they in shoe boxes? Maybe they were the ones my mom got rid of when we moved.
    Thye were laid out on a table and the ones with post marks have Iowa addresses on them so I would gather they were from a local family.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Thye were laid out on a table and the ones with post marks have Iowa addresses on them so I would gather they were from a local family.
    Oh, well, I guess they're gone forever.

I have a bunch of doubles of 1900-1920 Detroit postcards. PM me if there's a specific building you want. I usually sell my doubles for $1 to $3 depending on the card.