Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default DNR belle isle reports

If you read the dnr field reports for the last two entries scrolling down to district 9.... you can see they have been very very busy on belle isle

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...569---,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by just_billy5 View Post
    If you read the dnr field reports for the last two entries scrolling down to district 9.... you can see they have been very very busy on belle isle

Wow. Just wow.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...4_451356_7.pdf

The whole report is very ho-hum...over-fishing in one district, someone else ticketed for having too many lines while ice fishing for bass, couple of guys riding a recreational vehicle with no helmets...then BAM.

Open intox
    Wrong way driving
    Driving 2x the speed limit
    6 outstanding warrants
    No CPL with a loaded weapon.
    Car not insured, no registration in several years, no driver's license
    More outstanding warrants
    A few more outstanding warrants
    More outstanding warrants.

Just wow.

BTW, WTF is with all the outstanding warrants?!?! I can't imagine even having one outstanding warrant, let alone 5 or 6. Wayne County Sheriff and DPD should just pay some college interns to drive around the city and run plates at red lights for outstanding warrants. Apparently, they're everywhere.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; April-01-14 at 09:29 PM.

In the end, the driver was ticketed for not having the license that he said he had, was warned for running the stop sign that he said he didn’t, and was lodged on the warrant that he said didn’t exist.
    Glad to see they're having fun.

From a quick skim, it seems like all the "enforcement action" seems to have been in situations after the park closed; after erratic driving; or due to unconventional parking.

This is totally comical.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...4_450299_7.pdf

COs Mark Ennett and Chad Foerster were working the late shift on Belle Isle and observed a vehicle displaying an improper temporary license plate. A traffic stop was made and a LEIN check of the driver yielded the fact that his license was revoked and suspended 19 times, and he had 15 confirmed traffic warrants. His passenger was identified and checked and was found to have a total of 10 confirmed traffic warrants. Both were arrested and transported to the Detroit Detention Center.
    You could literally read these all night.

It seems that people who have a history a breaking the law don't seem to find the error in their ways.

Hope Gannon doesn't see this...

By the sound of all this... it's going to be a very busy spring and summer on Belle Isle for the State Police....

It'll truly be District 9 before too long.

Not unhappy to have them catching the speeders, but trouncing on folks along Lover's Lane is just...rude. They weren't bothering anyone, hell even the deer are all locked up now.

Good to know the DNR officers know the smell of burning marijuana.

Funny, I didn't see ONE report of a yacht club member being ticketed for speeding, but that might be in the State Police report...when does THAT come out?!

Selective enforcement...racism and classism at it finest.

No cheers on most of this...and yes, it WILL be getting much, much worse. Folks have been using this park for generations for late-night revelry...it goes back to Robert Oakman and f'in' Mayor PINGREE, damnit!

Wow, just like shootin' fish in a barrel!

Don't y'all be messing with them CO's. They got's more authority than all the rest of them LEO's.

Name:  respect.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  13.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Funny, I didn't see ONE report of a yacht club member being ticketed for speeding, but that might be in the State Police report...when does THAT come out?!

I don't know if there's selective enforcement, but I'm not sure that you've made a strong case that there is, either.

I'm not a member at the DYC but I sailed out of there every week through their non-member sailing program last summer. I was told repeatedly by members to watch my speed on the way out. And some members told me that if you came to the DYC for enough years the probability of getting speeding ticket nears 100% because it's just too easy to see 4 lanes of wide open road and creep up above 25 mph.

But I digress.

I do have a problem with "Driving While Black" traffic stops. I also have a problem when a multi-millionaire gets probation after raping a 3-year old or when a teenage kid kills 3 people and doesn't serve any jailtime.

But when someone gets hoisted off to jail because he has 6 outstanding warrants while he's illegally packing heat and the other passenger in his car has an open container, my sympathy all but disappears.

I'm not even one of those Sam the Eagle "law and order" types, but this has just gotten out of control. You can't have a functional society when it becomes a social norm to have multiple outstanding warrants, when you can drive an unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle after double-digit driving suspensions, and no one has any consequences. And apparently, it's been TOTALLY NORMAL for years.

This isn't about being racist or classist. I know plenty of black people who don't just drive drunk while there are 3 outstanding bench warrants out for his arrest. I was poor enough to be on food stamps growing up, that didn't mean that we just ignored all standards of civilized behavior.

C'mon.

They have various other reports on belle isle in district 8 and 7 too. Not sure why they would get them mixed up. Love the Board btw. I started reading on here a long time ago when I started Delivering for Wolverine Meat Packing primarily on East Side. Thanks for great stories

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I'm not a member at the DYC but I sailed out of there every week through their non-member sailing program last summer. I was told repeatedly by members to watch my speed on the way out. And some members told me that if you came to the DYC for enough years the probability of getting speeding ticket nears 100% because it's just too easy to see 4 lanes of wide open road and creep up above 25 mph.
    The speed limit through the bulk of the island is TWENTY miles per hour. It is 25 on the bridge, where the majority of the population does 35 and those of privilege along with other idiots do 50-70 mph. It immediately goes down to 20 before the split...right at the end of the bridge. It does not go back up to 25 until the old police station on the way off the island.

So, there's that....might help explain the 100% quote you heard...and then might also destroy my postulate. Any of the DYC members getting tickets does, actually. I'd LOVE to hear how many of 'em not only get tickets, but didn't get special treatment in the courts.

I agree with you that the Dupont sentencing was an outrage, as is the fact that folks collect such a grand total of driving violations yet still drive.

Then again, it IS Detroit...the land of no reliable mass transportation [[and no bus service to the island), and when you DO get a D-DOT bus the driver is likely enough to be problematic...or your fellow riders.

And, if driving-while-black IS a real thing...and there is enough proof to assuage any critic willing to look at the data...then that 'might' explain away a good number of these infractions collected by those of color in the city.

If I were continually harassed and ticketed by a biased authority, I'd become an outcast and ignore their laws, too. It is very likely that those infractions were from a suburb that the individual is not unwilling to revisit, even to clear their record...if the chances of them being treated unfairly extends to the courts...which has also been proven. [[I will never forget my Oakland County experience where the 'driving class' legal escape-gift from points was FILLED with those who look like me, when the court hallways were the opposite...that really pissed me off)

So, we're heading into a huge 'culture clash' between those who've taken refuge in the old city...and the new reality of what appears to be heavy police enforcement, with them BOASTING about the disconnect with their jokes in the report. Any State Blue that thinks the 36th's record-keeping is worth believing has never had to go there.

While I personally appreciate the levity, it doesn't belong in official reports...and I wonder if the same was shown the individuals when they were pulled over?! I doubt it.

All indications are that this will be a serious problem that the State will quickly wish they'd never begun supervising. They've bit off more than they're going to want to chew, let alone swallow. There is a portion of me that cannot wait to see this play out...and another that is horrified by the potential troubles.

"Now the Lord is that Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom/liberty."

Just yesterday, a friend was passed by a Detroit Motorcycle cop doing what he approximated was three times the speed limit over the bridge until he saw the trooper posted at the foot of it...so if you want to bust my balls over the use of the term 'privilege', I specifically mean those who do it and drive past the law...the Coast Guard are some of the worst...as well as some from the DYC who bust-ass through the center of the island where there is little enforcement, on that road that ends at the Zoo.
    Last edited by Gannon; April-02-14 at 07:22 AM.

They have various other reports on belle isle in district 8 and 7 too. Not sure why they would get them mixed up. Love the Board btw. I started reading on here a long time ago when I started Delivering for Wolverine Meat Packing primarily on East Side. Thanks for great stories
    And thank YOU for finding and posting these DNR reports. I wonder why they mixed in Belle Isle with the other districts...now I've got to re-read 'em to see what I missed.

Cheers!

One more thang..."packing heat" is basic survival in Detroit.

Even the Police Chief has given the green light for civilians to trust their weapons before trusting the response time from 911.

Many people cannot GET a CPL, and then there is the report of one guy was ticketed for not reporting that he had his, it was specifically mentioned in one of the files in that DNR collection...there is a HUGE issue when someone who took the trouble to be legal then gets spanked for not following the dot and tittle of the law.

THAT is heavy-handed bullshit.

And all the open-container tickets? I suspect one of them will become the spark...
    Last edited by Gannon; April-02-14 at 07:23 AM.

Are commissioned officers of DNR now the police force on Belle Isle? Are there
    any plans for the reuse of the magnificent shingle style police station on Belle
    Isle? It may be the most attractive police post in the entire state.

They want to make it the Visitor's Center.

So, it'll be the most attractive Visitor's Center in the entire state.

I hope Snydely and his Blues don't consider it a euphemism, though...

The DNR Conservation Officers can police anywhere, anytime. They know no boundries except the State lines.

Welcome to multi jurisdictional policing.

Let's see, County Mounties, State troopers, DPD, DNR CO's, Homeland Security Border Patrol, Feds and the DEA Drug task force and Immigration and Customs

Eh, it's good to see. Like CY said, there is no excuse in the world for having double digit outstanding warrants and driving on the park without a license.

I understand driving like that if you HAVE to do so, in order to go to work or school, or pick your child up. It's still illegal, but at least it's understandable.

But for recreation? Get out of here.

IF they all show up this Summer, we will KNOW it is a conspiracy...heh.

We recently learned that the DNR hires graffiti taggers with partner abuse problems...proving that their vetting and/or supervision is suspect...so where does THAT lead us?!

Are they as bad, or worse than Homeland INsecurity or the TSA?!

"where are your PAPERS, sir?!"

I found 21 instances in latest two-week report. [For those who may not know, the way to search those documents is to use your browser's Find function [Ctrl F in Windows computers] and enter 'Belle'.]

Most start with a traffic infraction and end in discovery of other violations and felonies warrants. If there were 21 instances one wonders how many more stops were made where driver's were released. It creates some worry about speed trap-like 'fishing' for revenue rather than focusing on serious infractions.

It will be interesting to see if this leads to a culture clash as Gannon hints at causing park usage to decline or if the reaction will be 'it's about time' and island population will swell with the perceived security.

The worst would be a return of that ugly 'race riot spirit' that spawned that fight on the bridge back in '43. I strongly feel that the troubles in this town are spiritually based...and this one is unfortunately overdue to return.

I don't WANT to see it, I am only commenting on the trend I feel developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It'll truly be District 9 before too long.

Not unhappy to have them catching the speeders, but trouncing on folks along Lover's Lane is just...rude. They weren't bothering anyone, hell even the deer are all locked up now.

Good to know the DNR officers know the smell of burning marijuana.

No cheers on most of this...and yes, it WILL be getting much, much worse. Folks have been using this park for generations for late-night revelry...it goes back to Robert Oakman and f'in' Mayor PINGREE, damnit!
    During Pingree's time they enforced the laws. Unfortunately, there's a time and place for everything. Drinking and driving [[and drugging) is against the law everywhere in the state. Just because you've [[and others) have grown accustomed to disobeying the laws of the state, that doesn't grant you any special dispensation to do so.

If you wish to enjoy Belle Isle. you are more than free do do so, under the laws of the State of Michigan. If you wish to break the laws, maybe you should go to one of the fine parks in GPP, and smoke a few doobs.

And find a little nook at Pier Park or Neff Park and have sex in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    And find a little nook at Pier Park or Neff Park and have sex in your car.
    I'm shocked.....

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    During Pingree's time they enforced the laws. Unfortunately, there's a time and place for everything. Drinking and driving [[and drugging) is against the law everywhere in the state. Just because you've [[and others) have grown accustomed to disobeying the laws of the state, that doesn't grant you any special dispensation to do so.

If you wish to enjoy Belle Isle. you are more than free do do so, under the laws of the State of Michigan. If you wish to break the laws, maybe you should go to one of the fine parks in GPP, and smoke a few doobs.

During Pingree's time, he and Robert Oakman met up often to drink beers into the sunset. You can bet your bottom dollar they drove themselves home.

I brought them up because I keep hearing how folks want to get back to the 'old' Belle Isle. If I cannot have business meetings in a pleasant setting with an adult beverage, then it is not the traditional park.

H-m-m-n-n, I sense a bit of ASSumption in your post...where do you get that I'm trying to break any laws? I'm merely trying to keep the law as servant of the people, not the other way around. When we give LawKeepers too much power, that balance most surely tips...too far.

[[.08 or even .1 BAC is too far, IMHO, but that's what happens when you let insurance companies write the laws)

When it does, there are always back-lashes...always. What do you think foments revolution?!

Cheers from Sunny GPP...and puh-LEASE...I don't smoke 'doobs'. And I don't have to go to a park to enjoy myself.
    Last edited by Gannon; April-02-14 at 09:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast