Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So that leaves only one opening for 2022. And there's a good chance Sacramento's getting that one.

As usual, Detroit is the last one onboard the train. By the time it gets a team, every other city will have moved on to the next big thing [[which appears to be Rugby).
    Shouldn't you be worried why Atlanta can't keep a NHL Hockey team from moving to Canada.... twice now!!

The details are vague on how St. Louis' $250 million stadium will be financed, but it has been said it will be "largely" privately financed. We'll see about that.

St. Louis taxpayers had better hope so. They are still saddled with a mountain of debt for an unused football stadium after the Rams sucked them for all they could get only to leave for [[even) greener pastures long before that was paid off.

Here's hoping next time Detroit pitches for a team they too have learned from their own, and so many others' mistakes.

BTW, if 313WX is correct [[not sure about that), and fans will move on to Rugby or any other next big thing, the imperative not to waste public money on a new stadium is especially strong.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    we absolutely do not need another stadium taking up space downtown.
    Absolutely not! I've elaborated my opinions on this many times before, for example:

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I have several times posted here how I am a fan of City Modern. I once said it's the best thing going in Detroit. It presents an enlightened vision how to create a thriving, walkable, mixed use neighborhood. It offers attractive options people like me might want.

The absolute WORST thing about that development is its proximity to the dead zones surrounding the arenas and the streams of outsiders they attract. Too many attendees disrespect the neighborhood. The rest still unintentionally create a negative impact, due to the traffic they create and the banality of the businesses that will open to serve them. If I lived there I'd only attend an event at one of the arenas a few times a year and never go to one of the new crap restaurants, but the parking lots, the parking garages, and impenetrable streams of car traffic would be a cancer to deal with every single day.

Much more of the old neighborhood been destroyed in order to build and serve the arenas than has been created. And everything that has been created has been for the arenas and their crowds, not local residents.

Detroit would have been better off had the arenas been situated much farther from Detroit's most promising real estate, somewhere else.

I have plenty of experience living a few blocks away from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. And I was there many years before it was built. I know what an arena means for local residents. With three arenas nearby and nowhere near the mass transit and powerful vitality of Brooklyn to counteract them, Brush Park's arena problem is much more than three times worse!

Eh, MLS is still a money-loser and we don't need another stadium Downtown that's empty most of the year. MLS needs Detroit and it's 12th largest CSA more than Detroit needs the MLS.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitGuy423 View Post
    MLS needs Detroit and it's 12th largest CSA more than Detroit needs the MLS.
    The MLS seems to think otherwise, 3 times in a row now.

The MLS seems to think otherwise, 3 times in a row now.
    The MLS is just milking cities for free stadiums. Either use Ford Field or build a non-downtown stadium and I think they will eventually come

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    The MLS is just milking cities for free stadiums. Either use Ford Field or build a non-downtown stadium and I think they will eventually come
    Given the MLS doesn't actually "own" these stadiums, they have no reason to milk cities for them as they have nothing to gain or lose from them financially.

Given the MLS doesn't actually "own" these stadiums, they have no reason to milk cities for them as they have nothing to gain or lose from them financially.
    They absolutely have something to gain from them, hence why they are prioritizing soccer specific stadiums. They want the teams to have brand new stadiums to draw crowds and money

I haven't met a single person who wants this

MLS wants soccer-specific stadiums because it wants to move past playing in half-empty football stadiums like some kind of minor league gimmick with football lines painted all over the field like the early years of the league. Sure there are outliers like Atlanta and Seattle, but some of the best atmospheres are in the smaller, soccer-only stadiums.

Detroit is not getting a pro soccer team, forget it!!! Four lousy Detroit teams is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit is not getting a pro soccer team, forget it!!! Four lousy Detroit teams is enough.
    If MLS wants to pay for a new soccer stadium, great... welcome to Detroit.

If some rich dude wants to spend a ton of their own money to build a soccer stadium in Detroit... I’d hope the mayor or other powers that be try to convince them to spend it in Detroit on X, Y, or Z instead [[other things Detroit could use more). If they won’t budge and still want to build a soccer stadium, great... welcome to Detroit.

But if we the tax payers have to pay for a new soccer stadium... forget it. Use Ford Field or have no MLS team here. Either works. Sorry, but we can spend public money on much better uses than a new soccer stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Sounds scientific.

Quite. Even I have a hard time understanding it

So that leaves only one opening for 2022. And there's a good chance Sacramento's getting that one.

As usual, Detroit is the last one onboard the train. By the time it gets a team, every other city will have moved on to the next big thing [[which appears to be Rugby).
    I'm holding out for Australian Rules Football. I'm a little less enthusiastic now that the goal umpire no longer wears the white fedora and lab coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Well to +1 your anecdote, I haven't met anyone who wants this either. Then again, anyone I know who cares about soccer is completely enamored with DCFC.

Additionally, considering the usual divisiveness and bickering on this forum, I don't sense from any of the comments that anyone on here has that strong of opinions about this.

I'm with previous comments that MLS needs us a lot more than we need them. And no more stadiums downtown. If any stadium is built it should model Keyworth as woven into the fabric of a neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    If MLS wants to pay for a new soccer stadium, great... welcome to Detroit.

If some rich dude wants to spend a ton of their own money to build a soccer stadium in Detroit... I’d hope the mayor or other powers that be try to convince them to spend it in Detroit on X, Y, or Z instead [[other things Detroit could use more). If they won’t budge and still want to build a soccer stadium, great... welcome to Detroit.

But if we the tax payers have to pay for a new soccer stadium... forget it. Use Ford Field or have no MLS team here. Either works. Sorry, but we can spend public money on much better uses than a new soccer stadium.

Forget it. In order to start a new major league team expansion. Follow these steps.

1. Have lots of money about 250 million dollars or more.

2. Gather some folks that know how do to marketing, sales in sports. [[with money)

3. Gather sponsors [[with money)

4. Gather investors [[with money)

5. Gather athletes [[with money)

6. Let the City Council and its code investors know what your doing and let them vote on it. If they say no. Go back to repeat steps 1 to 6.

7. Spread the word that the new major league team is coming to your town.

8. Make sure all of your employees, athletes, sponsors investors, city developers, marketing agents are signing contracts and it must be iron clad.

9. Start find a site that the city improves and build a stadium

10. Bring your new audience in and make sure your major league team is winning games, losing less and winning national championship titles. Then you make more money.

Detroit gets passed over yet again. The MLS is set to announce that Charlotte is getting the next team on Tuesday...

https://www.wfae.org/post/charlottes...ptown#stream/0

That's OK, Detroit has a PRO SOCCER team.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/sports...7-d3934bbbcd94

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    That's OK, Detroit has a PRO SOCCER team.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/sports...7-d3934bbbcd94
    What does this mean for the team exactly? Funding? Promotion?

DCFC is joining NISA, which is trying to be the third tier in American soccer. They practice more of an open system; no franchise fees and the teams have more individual control compared to MLS and USL. They can now pay players which will bring in more talent and not hold the team to the collegiate schedule [[longer season).

Great article that explains NISA: https://nisanation.com/2019/08/07/te...isa-different/

Update?

Last edited by motorcity; December-19-20 at 06:30 PM.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28