Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Report: Well-being of African-Americans in Michigan among worst in nation

Go ahead and call me a bleeding heart liberal... no, please do. I'm proud of it. And this new report just appalls me. Michigan ranks 3rd from last, only ahead of Mississippi and Wisconsin, and behind Louisiana and Arkansas.

Of the 5 lowest ranking states, 4 are controlled by a Republican governor, state house and state senate. Arkansas has a Democratic governor, but a Republican-controlled state house and senate.

Coincidence?

The well-being of African-American children in Michigan is among the worst in the nation, according to a report to be released today.
    The Kids Count report found only Mississippi and Wisconsin fared worse than the Wolverine state, based on 12 criteria, including normal birth weights, education of parents and the number of children living at or above poverty.
    “For us to be third lowest in the country was pretty shocking,” said Jane Zehnder-Merrell, director of the Kids Count in Michigan project at the Michigan League for Public Policy in Lansing. “The country doesn’t look very good either.”
    The national average score is 345 points out of a possible 1,000. Michigan’s score was 244.

Full article from The Detroit News here:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2xf28mMyR

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Go ahead and call me a bleeding heart liberal... no, please do. I'm proud of it. And this new report just appalls me. Michigan ranks 3rd from last, only ahead of Mississippi and Wisconsin, and behind Louisiana and Arkansas.

Of the 5 lowest ranking states, 4 are controlled by a Republican governor, state house and state senate. Arkansas has a Democratic governor, but a Republican-controlled state house and senate.

Coincidence?
    Amazing how Michigan blacks went down the tubes in the couple of years since Snyder-R replaced Granholm-D. Ditto Wisconsin. The sad state of Michigan blacks has been a long time coming. You could just as easily blame Coleman Young and Kwame Kirkpatrick.

Top five states by score
    1. Hawaii: 583
    2. New Hampshire: 538
    3. Utah: 511
    4. Alaska: 507
    5. Massachusetts: 482

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2xfQWXlXZ

It looks from the five top states that the lower percentage of blacks there are in a state, the better off the blacks in the state will be.

It would be an interesting statistical study to compare the scores of all blacks in the Yoopee versus the scores of, say, Highland Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Top five states by score
    1. Hawaii: 583
    2. New Hampshire: 538
    3. Utah: 511
    4. Alaska: 507
    5. Massachusetts: 482

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2xfQWXlXZ

It looks from the five top states that the lower percentage of blacks there are in a state, the better off the blacks in the state will be.

It would be an interesting statistical study to compare the scores of all blacks in the Yoopee versus the scores of, say, Highland Park.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQD4dzVkwk

I doubt there is a correlation. Wisconsin has a relatively tiny minority population.

Snyder, overall, has done a pretty fine job of kicking working and middle-class Michiganders [[such as myself) while they're down, though.

By slashing to a bare minimum the EITC [[which I don't receive) and the Homestead Tax Credit [[which I do), then turning around and giving over a billion dollar tax credit to businesses, well, that's a bit of a reverse Robin Hood, isn't it?

So there went to myth of lower taxes under a Republican. I lost hundreds of dollars over the past couple years in taxes as a reward for buying a house in this state. Thanks, Rick!

Meanwhile the state unemployment rate has decreased - at the same rate as the decrease of the national unemployment rate. So we're still behind the rest of the nation when it comes to employment.

Glad that less money in my pocket is going to such great use in the pocket of Snyder's corporate buddies

And I'm middle class. I can only imagine what it is like to live in this state as a poor person of any color - terrible roads, no transit, poor schools - and a legislature unwilling to fund any of those. Quite the contrary - they'll raise your taxes!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I doubt there is a correlation. Wisconsin has a relatively tiny minority population.
    Yes, but they are heavily concentrated.

So it's all the politicians fault that african americans find themselves in the predicament their in?

I think not.

Furthermore, to think that, shows an extremely narrow focus and a disregard for the rest of the story.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-01-14 at 07:43 PM.

Without understanding their methodology and history, a report means little. Its never great to be at the bottom of lists. But its pretty irrelevant, unless it ties into your political views. Then its highly relevant.

Annie E Casey Foundation seems to be calling for more intervention. Little doubt the study supports that. Pay less attention to advocacy groups.

What a farce. Are we to believe that these Black Democrat mothers decide not to teach their toddlers their colors or how to count, because there is a Republican Governor in Lansing?

The way I see it is that if people are smart enough to vote for Obama, they really don't need any Republican advise or help anyway.

Amazing how Michigan blacks went down the tubes in the couple of years since Snyder-R replaced Granholm-D. Ditto Wisconsin. The sad state of Michigan blacks has been a long time coming. You could just as easily blame Coleman Young and Kwame Kirkpatrick.
    Kwame I can see, but why CAY? He's always getting blamed for something.

Poobert, you're spot on. But just wait a few minutes and watch how many people on here come to his defense. "I guess they can't see the mountain's for the trees".
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-01-14 at 05:28 PM.

By few he means none, lol.

In all seriousness, he may not be entirely off base. I have read before that discrimination can be a function of the minority population size. When a minority population reaches a critical threshold the group may be perceived to pose a political threat to the dominant population. If it's a democratic society the dominant group will close ranks to protect its own interests. Wisconsin may have a relatively smaller percentage of black residents but it's not insignificant [[it's roughly the same %age as blacks in California). But in places like Utah the black population is zilch, and the few that go there probably emigrated for extraordinary circumstances anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    By few he means none, lol.

In all seriousness, he may not be entirely off base. I have read before that discrimination can be a function of the minority population size. When a minority population reaches a critical threshold the group may be perceived to pose a political threat to the dominant population. If it's a democratic society the dominant group will close ranks to protect its own interests. Wisconsin may have a relatively smaller percentage of black residents but it's not insignificant [[it's roughly the same %age as blacks in California). But in places like Utah the black population is zilch, and the few that go there probably emigrated for extraordinary circumstances anyway.
    2010 Census
    Michigan 80.1% white, 14.3% black, 2.6% Asian
    Wisconsin 88.2% white, 6.5% black, 2.5% Asian

I would submit that if each and every one of Michigan's counties and cities were 80% white and 14% black, Michigan would be at the top of the list instead of at the bottom.

This. Blaming Snyder is laughable.

^^^ Especially if you leave Granholm out of the equation. Oh, but she was a dem and they can us do no harm, ever......

Just another reason I tend to lean towards being an independent.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-02-14 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    This. Blaming Snyder is laughable.
    It's not laughable about what his policies are doing to the lower and middle class. Snyder caters to business and the rich only. He could care less about kids, education and the working class as he suggests. But unfortunately, looks like we'll be stuck with him another 4 years. I only hope Michigan won't get any worse for it.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-01-14 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It's not laughable about what his policies are doing to the lower and middle class. Snyder caters to business and the rich only. He could care less about kids, education and the working class as he suggests. But unfortunately, looks like we'll be stuck with him another 4 years. I only hope Michigan won't get any worse for it.
    Is that Kool-Aid quenching your thirst?

Your comment is absurd. Snyder is a moderate Republican. I understand you don't like his methods and choices. But there's no reason to say what you are about his concern for kids, education, and the working class.

I personally believe his policies are serving them better than Granholm. Its just my opinion. I didn't like Granholm's approach, but I don't feel the need to suggest that she was insincere.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Is that Kool-Aid quenching your thirst?

Your comment is absurd. Snyder is a moderate Republican. I understand you don't like his methods and choices. But there's no reason to say what you are about his concern for kids, education, and the working class.

I personally believe his policies are serving them better than Granholm. Its just my opinion. I didn't like Granholm's approach, but I don't feel the need to suggest that she was insincere.
    And we agree to disagree. I can recall plenty of ABSURD comments on various subjects made by you sir on this board. Snyder is a divisive politician. You can kiss his _ss all you want, just let it be known everyone doesn't like him or his policies. Granholm wasn't great either, neither was her predecessor Engler, so that's 3 bad eggs in the basket. Snyder is slick as a can of oil, all the things he's changed and rushed into law so he can't be accountable for, such as his Secret Fund that he doesn't have to divulge where, how much, and who his contributions [[Cock Bros and other GOP power brokers) come from. As well as cutting funding from schools to give big business tax breaks. He really cares about kids and the middle class. Right... You keep drinking his KOOL-AID, hope you don't choke on it.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-02-14 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And we agree to disagree. I can recall plenty of ABSURD comments on various subjects made by you sir on this board. Snyder is a divisive politician. You can kiss his _ss all you want, just let it be known everyone doesn't like him or his policies. Granholm wasn't great either, neither was her predecessor Engler, so that's 3 bad eggs in the basket. Snyder is slick as a can of oil, all the things he's changed and rushed into law so he can't be accountable for, such as his Secret Fund that he doesn't have to divulge where, how much, and who his contributions [[Cock Bros and other GOP power brokers) come from. As well as cutting funding from schools to give big business tax breaks. He really cares about kids and the middle class. Right... You keep drinking his KOOL-AID, hope you don't choke on it.
    So, don't vote for Snyder next time, you have every right to vote for someone else.

Soapy Williams was the governor for quite a long time and ran the state right into the toilet financially. No one seems to complain about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Your comment is absurd. Snyder is a moderate Republican.
    I'm not trying to be incendiary this time, but what makes him a moderate Republican?

I know our local news has parroted that a lot, but what exactly makes him "moderate"?

We now have a RTW state and he has concurred with the denial of gay marraige benefits. He slashes taxes for corporations while eliminating tax credits for low-to-middle income earners. While his education funding is somewhat mixed [[and extremely convoluted), he heavily slashed funding to state universities.

I don't mean it as a slam, I'm just saying he seems pretty damn run-of-the-mill Republican to me.

I don't mean it as a slam, I'm just saying he seems pretty damn run-of-the-mill Republican to me.
    Well yesterday's run-of-the-mill is today's moderate, unfortunately. Like or dislike him, he's nowhere as extreme as the tea partiers, the Sarah Palins, the Glenn Becks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Well yesterday's run-of-the-mill is today's moderate, unfortunately. Like or dislike him, he's nowhere as extreme as the tea partiers, the Sarah Palins, the Glenn Becks, etc.
    Thanks for clarifying. Not being a lunatic fascist makes one moderate these days. Strange times we live in.