Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Any Cocktails that Detroit is Known For?

I'm just wondering is there any cocktails that are synonymous to Detroit?

Yup, Hummer, Bull Shot, Last Word, etc.

No clue on famous but a close friend swears the best bloody mary he ever had was at a local dive and was made with beer not vodka????

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    No clue on famous but a close friend swears the best bloody mary he ever had was at a local dive and was made with beer not vodka????
    Heh, that's not a Bloody Mary, that's a bloody lie!

I don't know about a signature, but there are a few bars in downtown that make a great Manhattan. Roast has a decent one, but Firebird Tavern in Greektown has a fantastic one, plus they have a few other really good drinks. Definitely worth checking out.

Not technically an Alcoholic drink, but the Boston Cooler [[Vanilla Ice Cream dipped in Vernors) is from Detroit.

There is cold duck which is a mixture of wines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Duck

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    A "tomato beer" was a common drink among German, Czech, and Slovak immigrants to the midwest. It is a "midwestern thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yup, Hummer, Bull Shot, Last Word, etc.
    Hummer invented by the bartender at Bayview Yacht Club. His name is Jerome and he was a fun bartender.

Quote Originally Posted by greatlaker View Post
    Hummer invented by the bartender at Bayview Yacht Club. His name is Jerome and he was a fun bartender.
    He is​ a fun bartender.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    He is​ a fun bartender.
    Yes, Jerome Adams still serves at Bayview and even at Regattas. He's been pushing drinks across the bar since 1968, if I'm right. Ask him to tell you the story of how he created the Hummer, or the later controversies over the drink's authorship.

I mix Grass Widow Bourbon from Two James in Corktown with Vernors. Its a tasty tipple. I call it a Detroit Car Jack. Probably needs a more user friendly name.

Molotov cocktail.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I mix Grass Widow Bourbon from Two James in Corktown with Vernors. Its a tasty tipple. I call it a Detroit Car Jack. Probably needs a more user friendly name.
    Back in my teens we used to buy a 2 liter of Vernors and a pint of Canadian Club mix em together before heading off to Boblo for the day. We would call it River Water as it came from both sides of our pond.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    He is​ a fun bartender.
    Are you one of Jerry's Kids?

In my teen years we would go to Canada on Saturday nights due to drinking laws. Their was a big sign just off the bridge that read "Drink Canada Dry".
    We did our best to try!