Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are Coney Dogs NOT unique to Detroit?

41 7th St E
    Saint Paul, MN 55101
    Downtown St. Paul
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/gopher-bar-saint-paul
    Last edited by illwill; March-31-14 at 11:32 AM.

There are some coney joints across the Midwest, it seems, but nothing on the scale of what there is in the Detroit-Flint-K'zoo-Jackson area.

They are served in Quebec, I hear, though they go by the name "Hot Michigan" out there.

An interesting theory cropped up that the reason these chili-mustard-onion frankfurters were called "Coney Island hot dogs" was because a German name like "frankfurter" would have been discouraged during the 1910-1920 period when German names were vilified. Praise the lord and pass the freedom fries ...

A tad dated but fun article on Detroit Coney Dogs and other Detroit favorites in our local San Diego newspaper...

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2011/Ap...-go-hollywood/

The chili dogs are common. Places that call them coneys are usually started by transplanted Detroiters, and the chili used on a real coney is different from what you get on a chili dog

i worked with a transplanted guy from syracuse and HE claimed they were pronounced COONey Dogs...

the hot dog they used was a White Hot [[vs Red hot) and he brought some from NY one time. they LOOKED nasty but i didnt have the beans to taste one...

The cooney dogs in Syracuse are made from pork and veal,that is why they are white in color

I originally saw this place on twitter. Apparently they've been in Minnesota for a VERY long time. Coney's are a staple there, and the Gopher Liquor store and Coney Island is generations old.

But I still would assume the Coney was started in Detroit.

Detroit, Jackson...the Jackson origin comes from a guy who opened a restaurant and claimed to have sold them two years before American, there is little evidence to back that claim, but it seems far less likely that something would go from a smallish town to a major city, especially since the pattern of immigration usually starts in the region's largest city and spreads from there

I was really skeptical about Coney Dogs having an origin or being originally or a Detroit thing. Probably because of Coney Island. But...
    Coney Island hot dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and..Todoroff's® Original Coney Island — Treasure The Taste !

American Coney Dogs opened in 1917.American Coney Island
    Three years later.

Lafayette opened in 1914.

Don't hate me, because I do love chili dogs. But I am a big fan of Chicago Red Hots because I love sport peppers.
    Last edited by old guy; April-01-14 at 02:38 AM.

I love chicago dogs, coneys, NYC dogs deep-fried bacon and cheese dogs,

Bad enough being a Detroiter - and a Lions fan! - trapped here in Chicago, but since Leo's closed, I cannot find a proper coney anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    American Coney Dogs opened in 1917.American Coney Island
    Three years later.

Lafayette opened in 1914.
    Actually, I believe the reverse is true. But I thought that was the case for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
    Bad enough being a Detroiter - and a Lions fan! - trapped here in Chicago, but since Leo's closed, I cannot find a proper coney anywhere...
    Hot Doug's dogs could work, I don't know what their chili is like. They have a good snap. and the duck fat fries are heaven in a heart attack

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Hot Doug's dogs could work, I don't know what their chili is like. They have a good snap. and the duck fat fries are heaven in a heart attack
    Hey, rb336 - that place is less than a quarter mile from where I now sit [[at work). Brought my lunch today, but will try and get there in the next couple of day. Thanks!

Doesn't matter where Coney's got their start Flint Style is the best. With their delicious Koegel's Vienna and meaty sauce [[no beans) by far the best.

Let the hatred of me begin. lol.

I was really skeptical about Coney Dogs having an origin or being originally or a Detroit thing. Probably because of Coney Island. But...

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Let the hatred of me begin. lol.
    With your wee beady eyes and your secret spices that make you crave these fortnightly?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
    Hey, rb336 - that place is less than a quarter mile from where I now sit [[at work). Brought my lunch today, but will try and get there in the next couple of day. Thanks!
    I think the duck fat fries are only certain days

I haven't had duck fried potatoes in years...so rich and yummy...a small French restaurant in Indy introduced me to them...

Duck fat fries at Hot Dougs: Fri/Sat only. I would not call chili on a Hot Doug sausage a coney. I would call it chili on a Hot Doug sausage.

There are longstanding [[going back, I think, to 1920s) "Coney Island" establishments in Houston [[haven't tried). Is there any connection in what they call themselves and what they serve to Detroit's Coney Island?

I grew up in Jackson. Lafayette beats the pants off Todoroff's. The Jackson style is just not as good, and I severely doubt they were really the first Coney Dog place. BTW, Todoroff's is also no longer in business, despite the active website.

Lafayette was 1st then the Keros brother broke off and opened American next door.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ised-city.html

Red Hots Coney Island on Victor off of Woodward in Highland Park has the best coneys. Oldest coney island in Michigan. Home made chili. This Saturday the Webbs , a blue grass band will be playing there. They pack the house. See you there!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast