Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Play Ball! Downtown Abuzz with Opening Day Crowds

It's a beautiful sunny day in Downtown Detroit and downtown is already jammed with fans and opening day partiers.

Temperatures are projected to be in the upper 50's, maybe even [gasp] 60. Hopefully the brutal winter is behind us.

Go Tigers!

Play Ball! Downtown Opening Day with Crowds A-buzzed.

Queue the suburbanites trashing downtown/pissing in the streets complaints in 3...2...1.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Queue the suburbanites trashing downtown/pissing in the streets complaints in 3...2...1.....
    Really? I imagine that it takes at least a few hours for people to get drunk enough for that ... but maybe you know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It's a beautiful sunny day in Downtown Detroit and downtown is already jammed with fans and opening day partiers.

Temperatures are projected to be in the upper 50's, maybe even [gasp] 60. Hopefully the brutal winter is behind us.

Go Tigers!

Just for kicks, take some "after" shots. Thanx.

Opening day - world's best excuse for drinking before noon.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Really? I imagine that it takes at least a few hours for people to get drunk enough for that ... but maybe you know better.
    I heard people were down there at 7am drinking hard. I'd say 11:30-12pm is the right time frame for complete drunkenness.

I don't involve myself in things like Opening Day anymore. Used to in my early twenties, now I just see it as an inconvenience and wasted vacation day. No thank you.

Thanks for the pictures. Can you tell where the shuttle buses are unloading? The street they used to use is now shut down for better security. I'll be at Nemos on Wednesday and wonder where they will drop off and pick up. Seems like it will further clog other local streets with this new security.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I heard people were down there at 7am drinking hard. I'd say 11:30-12pm is the right time frame for complete drunkenness.
    I have co-workers at the downtown jail who said folks were already down there when they started reporting for their 6:30 am shift. I was told they were setting up at that time, so I'm confident folks started drinking by 7 am. Fox 2 was showing all the folks who had numerous liquor bottles lined up on their tailgate tables.

Personally, I hate the "tailgaters" who come just to party in the parking lots around there and don't attend the game. Near the jails & courthouses, the parking is very limited, & it gets taken up by tents & RVs by folks not even going to the game. If I'm going there, I'm going to the game, not just the party.
    Last edited by jackie5275; March-31-14 at 12:31 PM.

I think there may have been more people outside the park than in. They are partying, chanting and cheering now after the Tigers 9th inning walk-off win.

So, in other words, if you are tailgating and bringing money and can't get a ticket for your family, [[Stubb Hub was selling SRO tickets for 100 dollars!) You have no business spending your money in the city simply because you are from the burbs.
    Makes sense to me, I guess.
    I was downtown when the Tigers won in 68 and 84. Couldn't afford the tickets but I still had a great time. I was a Detroit resident back then. So I shouldn't come downtown now that I am a suburbanite? Kinda sad ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    So, in other words, if you are tailgating and bringing money and can't get a ticket for your family, [[Stubb Hub was selling SRO tickets for 100 dollars!) You have no business spending your money in the city simply because you are from the burbs.
    Makes sense to me, I guess.
    I was downtown when the Tigers won in 68 and 84. Couldn't afford the tickets but I still had a great time. I was a Detroit resident back then. So I shouldn't come downtown now that I am a suburbanite? Kinda sad ya know.
    How much, if any, money do the tailgaters spend in the city? I am all for having a lively city but to make it like the tailgaters are an economic benefit is inaccurate.

Many spend no money and leave a tone of trash behind. A lot of the tailgaters are a net negative as they leave trach everywhere and spend no money in the city [[then drive home drunk as hell)

jt1:

You might want to ask the bar and restaurant owners around Comerica Park and Ford Field. You might get a different opinion. Why does it always come down to a Us vs Them attitude? This is counter productive to rejuvenating Detroit.

jt1: You might want to ask the bar and restaurant owners around Comerica Park and Ford Field. You might get a different opinion. Why does it always come down to a Us vs Them attitude? This is counter productive to rejuvenating Detroit.
    CINDERELLA: [[while scouring pans in her ragged outfit) Well, if you guys would contribute to the housework and let me out once in a while, I might find a prince.

SPOILED OLDER SISTER: [[polishing her diamonds and eating chocolates) Why is it always "Us vs. Them" with you?

jt1:

You might want to ask the bar and restaurant owners around Comerica Park and Ford Field. You might get a different opinion. Why does it always come down to a Us vs Them attitude? This is counter productive to rejuvenating Detroit.
    Perhaps we need to clarify the defintion of tailgaters. I consider it people that drink and party in parking lots and that is it. Going to a bar or restaurant is not considered tailgating in my opinion.

Quite a stretch inferring it is an 'Us vs. them' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    CINDERELLA: [[while scouring pans in her ragged outfit) Well, if you guys would contribute to the housework and let me out once in a while, I might find a prince.

SPOILED OLDER SISTER: [[polishing her diamonds and eating chocolates) Why is it always "Us vs. Them" with you?
    Suburbanite tailgaters: Detroit wouldn't be such a mess if people would quit littering.

Detroiter: Guys, can you not throw your junk in the lots by your cars.

Suburbanite tailgaters: Why does it matter, there is trash everywhere anyway.

You create an Us vs Them arena when you classify tailgaters as "Suburbanites". You are assuming that all tailgaters are from the burbs. Back when the Lions played in the Silverdome I'm sure there were a lot of Detroiters attending the tailgate parties. Were they considered suburbanites?
    What I'm trying to say here is that there are both good and bad actions played out all over the city. We need to start focusing on the positive aspects of reviving a once prosperous and beautiful city. I'm not ready to sound the death knell yet.

Well it was only a matter before certain folk would came along and crap up this thread...
    Last edited by 313WX; March-31-14 at 06:05 PM.

Good points dguy4ever. I find those who say they will never set foot in Detroit because [enter your hate Detroit stereotype of choice here] more disturbing.

What I found today was a joyous and diverse throng of Detroiters having fun all united around the Tigers, wearing the D and being nice and friendly.

If if only we could come together like this all the time our problems would be solved.

Lowell:

I'm not trying to sound like a pipe dreamer, I am a realist. I grew up in the lower East Side of Detroit. At one time we lived in the Parkside Projects. I took two busses to Wilbur Wright Trade School. [[Check out my thread titled: Where are the trade schools now that we really need them?) I was the minority in most of my classes. Yes, I am white. The riots started just south of there on 12th. street. Most of my friends were of color. The thing was, my lot was no different than theirs. We all wanted the same thing in life. Food, shelter, and the ability to pay our bills. Wouldn't hurt to have a real nice ride too!
    There was a lot of mistreatment of blacks by a predominantly white police force. But the thing was, I was never viewed as the enemy because I was white. In school I can't ever remember a racial divide. We were too busy "Copping on each other's Mommas.) This was an art form for some of us.
    I just don't know what happened to plain old respect for one another.

You create an Us vs Them arena when you classify tailgaters as "Suburbanites". You are assuming that all tailgaters are from the burbs. Back when the Lions played in the Silverdome I'm sure there were a lot of Detroiters attending the tailgate parties. Were they considered suburbanites?
    What I'm trying to say here is that there are both good and bad actions played out all over the city. We need to start focusing on the positive aspects of reviving a once prosperous and beautiful city. I'm not ready to sound the death knell yet.
    Good question. Does anyone know if Detroit is a suburb of Pontiac?

I've been to 20 straight opening days now. I always go to the game. This year I saw a lot fewer falling down drunk idiots than in recent years. The security that caused massive delays entering the park was beyond ridiculous [[ took me over an hour in line to get in) and the bars downtown were packed. Clearly this is good for the economics of downtown bars and restaurants. And it was a fun atmosphere.

I'm used to basically just getting my ticket scanned and walking through any gate when I go to a Tiger game. I'm assuming they're going to figure out a way to get 40000 plus people through those metal detectors in a timely way. They do it across the street at Ford Field.

Dguy, You obviously didn't read my whole post or just decided to slant it for your own rant. Nowhere in my post did I say anything about tailgaters being suburbanites, nor did I say anything about the suburbs or suburbanites.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I've been to 20 straight opening days now. I always go to the game. This year I saw a lot fewer falling down drunk idiots than in recent years. The security that caused massive delays entering the park was beyond ridiculous [[ took me over an hour in line to get in) and the bars downtown were packed. Clearly this is good for the economics of downtown bars and restaurants. And it was a fun atmosphere.
    Well, well, well, so much for those downplaying that mess on that other thread. I got predictably shot down by several resident geniuses.

Tailgaters are trouble. I saw a homeless guy beaten within an inch of his life by a tailgater several years back. The cops were right there though and took great job in apprehending the fat slob who was responsible.

So these folks bring their beer, drink it in a parking lot, and leave the garbage. This benefits the city how?

Bargoers are a totally different story. Huge boon the the economy. Those people also have access to restrooms and bartenders who can cut them off.

I didn't go to the game - since that is only for the rich now - but the bars on Michigan Avenue were good fun. I went downtown afterwards and quickly left. Bad news bears. Too many people who were extremely drunk and still drinking. As I was leaving, a dude was mooning the parking lot I was in.

Uh, fun times. If you're 17.

I like to drink more than most, and drink pretty much every day, but people around here really like to get shitfaced too much. It's unnerving, St. Patricks Day, Fat Tuesday, Opening Day, it's like people here have nothing better to do than get wasted and cause trouble.

A grown man can pace himself. And if your man is 30+ years old, drinking Busch Light in a parking lot, throwing garbage and bodily fluids everywhere, ladies, you may consider moving to a different trailer.
    Last edited by poobert; April-01-14 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast