Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Nice things

Default Nice things

Really thought I should leave the board because of the trolls but I have so many real and virtual friends. I missed you!

My happy news is we can send 7 kids to camp. It is just so awesome. A grant came through. We live on a limited budget being "old" and all. We figured maybe we could send one kid would be awesome. I am so delighted.

For the record, I truly resented being called old woman and trailer trash. I was frankly shocked.

We have 3 self funded planned events on a local level with our area kids for this summer.So beat me up if you want. I love my home, my neighbors, my community

water off a duck's back, Sumas, you cannot control those who will always choose the negative approach

Cheers

I wouldn't take it personally.

"The nail that sticks out gets hammered down." It doesn't matter much which nail it is.

I don't think it's unique to DetroitYES! either. "Asbestos longjohns" was coined long before DetroitYES! appeared.

Sorry people, I've been a little low due to teeth extractions that will ultimately lead to dentures. That's where the old woman comment hurt. Oh well, this ""trailer trash" lady can afford dentures.

Honestly it is just so exciting to send so many kids to camp. I am waiting for the application forms. We have three neighborhood programs planned and our area kids are so great.

So please trolls stay away. Many of our area children are not advantaged but does not make them less significant.

I am bouncing with joy, love and Grace

Sumas
    where is the camp located and what type of activities do they get to do while there?

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Sumas
    where is the camp located and what type of activities do they get to do while there?
    It is a church camp located in Brighton MI. Not particularly churchy though. UCC. Swimming , crafts, Activities and real stress put on personal activities and social responsibility. Camp Talahi if you want to look it up.

I and all my brothers and sisters went, our kids went, our nieces and nephews went. No harm came to any of us. The cabins are rustic, the woods and paths can be challenging. Very nice experiences for all. Adult retreats are also available, we have done a few. Honestly though I am pure city, a couple of chairs on Belle Isle does us just fine to regenerate our souls

The best thing to think about when somebody dubs you old, just think, you were their age just recently, so watch out, whippersnapper, won't be long before you're in these shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    The best thing to think about when somebody dubs you old, just think, you were their age just recently, so watch out, whippersnapper, won't be long before you're in these shoes.
    I am feeling a little fragile at the moment. Things will improve. Three projects with area kids and the possible chance to send them to camp truly uplifts me. I cannot ignore city blight but in my little nook we have so many actively working to assist each other. Sometimes it is like the Lockhorns but mostly we work hard to preserve our great old homes. I am saddened that people view Detroiters as major losers, it just is not the case. My neighbors are just the bet!

Sounds awesome Sumas. Keep your head up!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    It is a church camp located in Brighton MI. Not particularly churchy though. UCC. Swimming , crafts, Activities and real stress put on personal activities and social responsibility. Camp Talahi if you want to look it up....

Good job. You rock!

Sadly, I don't rock. We always need to deal with reality. Could have sent up to 7 kids to camp but "custodians" would not approve. Sigh!