Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Mother of All Chuckholes Opens up on Linwood

Wow. Think what this would do to your suspension. This monster dropped today. It makes one wonder how many more are lurking. Any idea as to how long it takes for something like this to form?

More pictures and video here.

I think I can see China through that hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Wow. Think what this would do to your suspension. This monster dropped today. It makes one wonder how many more are lurking. Any idea as to how long it takes for something like this to form?

More pictures and video here.
    Sinkhole, Lowell, sinkhole is the word you're looking for....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hah! And I was complaining about all the other pot-holes around the D. Fall into that and you'd need more than front end work and a tire!

Jimmy Hoffa probably drove into a large chuckhole

It least not as big as the one on 15 Mile Rd. near Moravian Rd. many years ago.

The most amazing thing is that it collapsed without any weight being on it. How many cars drove over it, even earlier the same day, without it giving way?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sinkhole, Lowell, sinkhole is the word you're looking for....
    Chuckhole [chuk'-hoal]
    1. A pot hole so deep it seems to go to China as in 'China Uck Hole'.

I have since heard that it is claimed that it was created by a long term water main leak, but where was the water going? Into the salt mines?

Just saw this on Good Morning America...

Chuckhole [chuk'-hoal]

I have since heard that it is claimed that it was created by a long term water main leak, but where was the water going? Into the salt mines?
    Only time will tell...... I just can't believe Alex Trebek was wrong.

We had a backhoe fall through one of these holes in Montreal last august.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/crews-rem...hole-1.1399693

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    We had a backhoe fall through one of these holes in Montreal last august.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/crews-rem...hole-1.1399693
    Cool...........

Probably already posted, but there's a deep one like this on Woodward and Randolph, outside of the CAYMC admin./judge's parking lot; they've been working on it for weeks.

The news is advising people not to drive down Lindon. I consider that good advise before and after the "Chuck-Hole"

Chuckhole [chuk'-hoal]

The water will find its way into adjacent storm or sanitary sewers which it enters through cracks in the pipe wall, slowly taking the soil it traveled through with it.

Two weeks ago on Alex.in the Corridor in front of the fire station a large pothole was given an orange barrel to warn drivers. The next day the orange barrel was almost completely swallowed up by the pothole leaving only three inches of the top orange showing. The day after that Gannon came by to pick me up and I mentioned the swallowed up barrel and he laughed and said there was a news crew filming in front of the fire station probably to make issue of the swallowed up barrel in a Detroit pothole. I laughed and thought he was crazy. The next day I realized Gannon was right and it actually was on the local news.
    I know of four people who have had blown out tires and messed up tie rods in the past 2 months.
    The Autobahn is 27" thick and is regularly replaced in sections, not just patched. I guess potholes make for job security for the auto repair sector.
    Last edited by Django; April-02-14 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Five 0 clock Vodka

Quote Originally Posted by ResurgetCineribus View Post
    The water will find its way into adjacent storm or sanitary sewers which it enters through cracks in the pipe wall, slowly taking the soil it traveled through with it.
    If it does this, it adds to the solids load at the Wastewater Treatment Plant
    [[usually in one fell swoop when there is a thunderstorm so the Wastewater
    Treatment Plant has to have reserve capacity for this eventuality) so someone should thank you all for your generous sewerage payments that help to process it.