Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

That Great Guy Guest

Default Should the August 2014 SMART Property Tax be raised? If so, how much?

With this vote just weeks away, it is time to get informed as to vote YES or NO.

Opinions and facts please. Should we vote an increase? how much? Should this be capped with a choice to raise, if we want?

Extract from the Transportation Riders United.

TRU recommends a 1.8 mil property tax in the August 2014 ballot
    . This would enable SMART to not only restore essential service that was cut in 2011 and to overhaul its aging bus fleet, but to also expand service hours and routes and begin to develop Arterial Rapid Transit service along major regional corridors. This would cost the average household less than 25 cents per day and still remain lower than Lansing, Saginaw, or Ann Arbor’s transit millage rates.

End of Extract from TRU

There are many misconceptions, false propagandas, scare tactics and emotions concerning this popular tax proposal to increase funding for community transit.

It is time to open our hearts and minds, instead of waiting until the last minute when newspapers could again claim a mass transit shutdown. Public mass transit as defined by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a basic right and must be equally accessible to everyone to qualify for any tax support.

Tax shifting without first securing alternative funds is also against our rights concerning this tax, even for the large SMART buses, if federal laws are enforced by means of protesting.

So, please comment and YES, this will pass So, how do we stop bus service reductions? high costs? how to increase ridership.

Please do not comment on voting NO, unless you can know what this means and too many of you don't. So, know the facts before you post, if you can?
    Last edited by That Great Guy; March-28-14 at 07:42 PM.

I will never support any spending until we know what the plans are and how much they will cost. Responsible budgeting must be specific. Is there a place online where one can see specific spending proposals for SMART if it does get the money, including what would happen if it is voted down?

I realize this response does not fit into the mold of response you requested, but it does fit within the topic of the thread. I do not understand [[as I noted in your prior post with similar wording) the reference the CRA of 1964.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I will never support any spending until we know what the plans are and how much they will cost. Responsible budgeting must be specific. Is there a place online where one can see specific spending proposals for SMART if it does get the money, including what would happen if it is voted down?

I realize this response does not fit into the mold of response you requested, but it does fit within the topic of the thread. I do not understand [[as I noted in your prior post with similar wording) the reference the CRA of 1964.
    Google save the fuel tax

Your post is promising, if you learn no essential service or funding will be cut, despite how you vote.

YES, we the taxpayers are getting ripped off by the lack of user fees, such as electronic tolls on the Brooks Patterson I-75 freeway expansion. It is as simple as Black and White. As simple as north or south of 8 mile road.

Why does the Michigan Department of Transportation no longer pay for the entire SMART budget? It is not because there is not enough money to do so, unless you believe in Santa Claus. Think Corporate Welfare. Think NAFTA. Think Wal-Mart.

Money talks, bullshit walks.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; March-28-14 at 08:41 PM.

I will vote yes, yes, yes, for the Smart bus millage. Without it there will be no Smart buses coming to your town.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I will vote yes, yes, yes, for the Smart bus millage. Without it there will be no Smart buses coming to your town.
    SMART will collect the whole amount of $47 Million per year, Danny no matter if you vote YES or NO.

I'm voting YES, YES, YES because I think this tax should be raised. I have no problem with YOU paying $385 per year on YOUR house for MY bus ride, if that is what YOU want to do? You must have bus service or you must be nice person or maybe just rich?

Learn the facts before you post, if you can? Don't ya know, I don't care about you voting but do care to see Detroit get a decent public bus system.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    SMART will collect the whole amount of $47 Million per year, Danny no matter if you vote YES or NO.

I'm voting YES, YES, YES because I think this tax should be raised. I have no problem with YOU paying $385 per year on YOUR house for MY bus ride, if that is what YOU want to do? You must have bus service or you must be nice person or maybe just rich?

Learn the facts before you post, if you can? Don't ya know, I don't care about you voting but do care to see Detroit get a decent public bus system.

I know all about the Smart bus millage loud and clear.

1. The millage from taxpayers will keep Smart buses running your city.

2. Over 3 million people ride Smart buses every year.

3. It will assist on the those who can't drive and are wheelchair bound.

4. An increase of Park N Riders to and fro Downtown Detroit will help cut down on car traffic and reduce greenhouses gas emissions.

Semcog, Smart transit authorities can mooch on my taxes, but I want regional transit to roll in automation alley.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I know all about the Smart bus millage loud and clear.

1. The millage from taxpayers will keep Smart buses running your city.

2. Over 3 million people ride Smart buses every year.

3. It will assist on the those who can't drive and are wheelchair bound.

4. An increase of Park N Riders to and fro Downtown Detroit will help cut down on car traffic and reduce greenhouses gas emissions.

Semcog, Smart transit authorities can mooch on my taxes, but I want regional transit to roll in automation alley.
    Yeah, you do know Danny.

But, do you know for a region as large as Greater Detroit that $47 Million per year for an operating budget is chump change. I'm sure you know that. That is why I'm also voting YES just like you. I'm also working to help SMART make better us of our limited transportation tax dollars.