Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cabrera Signs 6 Yr. Contract Extension

This is a very good deal for the Tigers. We all know 30 million per year is nuts but we also know if anyone is going to get it, it's Cabrera. The important thing is the contract takes him to age 38, not into his 40's like the Pujols deal. IF he stays healthy he should be a productive DH the last 3-4 yrs.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ion-huge-money

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ion-huge-money

This is a very good deal for the Tigers. We all know 30 million per year is nuts but we also know if anyone is going to get it, it's Cabrera. The important thing is the contract takes him to age 38, not into his 40's like the Pujols deal. IF he stays healthy he should be a productive DH the last 3-4 yrs.
    I like it better then any of their other signings. One of the top five or six Tigers players of all time. Let him go into the HOF as a Tiger.

Take back what I said, the contract is now being reported as an 8 yr. extension, taking him to age 41. Dumb deal and probably not necessary.

There have been some good players who were very productive at age 39. Frank Thomas is one and to a lesser extent Andres Gallaraga who is Venezuelan and of similar build. Comparing Miggy to the PED broken down body that is Pujols is doing Miggy a disservice. Hank Aaron was awesome for twenty years, why cant Miggy be?

kudos to mr. Cabrera & the Tigers.. lol.. wish I could get that kind of money for what I do.. ah well..

That negotiation was short & sweet compared to Scherzer's which seemed like an eternity & still isn't [[?) over.

Take back what I said, the contract is now being reported as an 8 yr. extension, taking him to age 41. Dumb deal and probably not necessary.
    I don't care, I love the guy - he's locked up and ours.

Nobody deserves that kind of money. I'm a Miggy fan, but this contract is going to come back and bite the Tigers in the ass. Between him and JV, who'll be making 28 million per year starting in 2015, that's probably between a third to half of the team's total payroll. Scherzer is a surely gone now after this season. "Those $10.00 beers just went up to $15.00".
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-28-14 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Nobody deserves that kind of money. I'm a Miggy fan, but this contract is going to come back and bite the Tigers in the ass. Between him and JV, who'll be making 28 million per year starting in 2015, that's probably between a third to half of the team's total payroll. Scherzer is a surely gone now after this season. "Those $10.00 beers just went up to $15.00".
    Salaries for all the major sports are totally obscene. What difference does it make if it's 150 million or 250 million? It's the old mans money anyway - he never ceases to amaze me the way he throws it around.

It's only paper [[money)......

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    My feelings exactly. I sure miss the days when sports were sports and entertainment was, well...entertainment.

We sign Mr. Triple Crown Caberra, but we can't get Max Scherzer back in the deal!

Can you imagine what Mike Trout will get from the Angels, Yankees or Dodgers? $400 million, easily, and probably a good deal.

I mean, Cabrera, as great as he is, is 10 years older, bad back, worse fielder, and is making $300 million through age 41. Trout is every bit as good a hitter as Cabrera, and still a baby. Even $500 million wouldn't be insane.

Everyone deserves the money they can convince someone to pay him. This deal could haunt the Tigers, but if so, not likely for a number of years. I love Max Scherzer [[as a player, and I am in love with him, too), pitchers are harder to commit that kind of money to for that length of time. There are a bajillion pitchers for every one that can sustain Scherzer's level of pitching for 5-10 more years. And that is assuming he remains healthy. Pitchers are notorious for showing a little promise and then missing a season or two [[Matt Harvey and Stephen Strasburg are 2 recent examples). The team and MS have agreed to talk money again at the end of the season. If he has another amazing year, he will have a strong case for even more than he was offered. If not, the Tigers will look prudent. When they do talk again in the fall, I think the Tigers should offer more money per year for fewer years.

And for what it's worth, star players do sell tons of jerseys, and drive up attendance and TV ratings.

I love sports and I follow our teams passionately. But when the salaries make the headlines, I become a little less of a fan. I like listening to sports talk radio when they are talking about sports, but when the talk is about money I change the station. I wish the money the stars make was not made public. We would still know they were making big bucks just by the prices we pay, just not the exact amounts. This deal nets him about 50k every time he steps up to the plate. Its hard to fathom in a bankrupt town where people are struggling. I don't blame him for taking the money, and I don't blame the team for paying him. I'll cheer every hit. I understand and except where were at with sports salaries, I don't have to like it though.

I`m glad the Tigers are contenders and play in a weak division. I don`t know how I would feel if I was paying these crazy prices and the team was out of contention every year like in the 90`s. I attended games in Toronto and Cleveland last year where the stands were half empty in July and they are still charging the same high prices as the Tigers. Still, it just seems all organizations are looking to suck every possible cent out of the fans far more than in the past. I bought tickets to the Tigers rained out game in Lakeland last week. Yes, they are issuing refunds but they also keep $16 in service charges for a pair of tickets that I printed myself. That`s about $70,000 for the gate. On the other hand since some fans are dumb enough to pay 4 bucks for a bottle of water maybe they deserve it.

I`m glad the Tigers are contenders and play in a weak division. I don`t know how I would feel if I was paying these crazy prices and the team was out of contention every year like in the 90`s. I attended games in Toronto and Cleveland last year where the stands were half empty in July and they are still charging the same high prices as the Tigers. Still, it just seems all organizations are looking to suck every possible cent out of the fans far more than in the past. I bought tickets to the Tigers rained out game in Lakeland last week. Yes, they are issuing refunds but they also keep $16 in service charges for a pair of tickets that I printed myself. That`s about $70,000 for the gate. On the other hand since some fans are dumb enough to pay 4 bucks for a bottle of water maybe they deserve it.
    Four bucks for a bottle of water seems to be the going price at all venues. When they have a gun or computer show at the Ft Lauderdale War Memorial Auditorium, the city concessionaire charges you four bucks for a bottle of water. The same thing goes with the boat shows down here.

Funny if I buy a case of water and there is a hurricane and I sell you a bottle for a buck, I go to jail for "price gouging".

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Funny if I buy a case of water and there is a hurricane and I sell you a bottle for a buck, I go to jail for "price gouging".
    NY learned after Hurricane Sandy that anti-price gouging laws are effective in making sure that people aren't screwed on things like bottled water, batteries, generators, etc. They are also very effective at making sure that there will be shortages. Totally happened with gasoline, too. Since they couldn't raise prices at the working pumps, they very quickly ran out, and most people never got any. If they could have charged $20 a gallon for a few weeks, people would not have taken more than they needed.