Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Love This Most Honest Detroit Auto Ad

This ad from Ford is the most bad-ass commercial I've ever seen.

Wanna play guess where the scenes were shot?! It appears that they are all local.

I am totally into her natural...so happy to see a full afro.

I think the hoop house might be Brother Nature's in North Corktown.

Cheers!

Easy Bagels

That was good. C-Max Energi?

This really is a great ad from the writing to the acting and filming. Very nice retort to that awful Cadillac ad.

Loosen up Tea thyme... that Caddy ad is bad ass, the comment about the Moon and leaving because we got bored and the car still up there with the keys in it, pure comic rhythm... I could care less about the frickin car

To each his own I guess. I hated it

I agree Bro, but like I said I kinda jus dug it from the comic rhythm standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Loosen up Tea thyme... that Caddy ad is bad ass, the comment about the Moon and leaving because we got bored and the car still up there with the keys in it, pure comic rhythm... I could care less about the frickin car
    I disliked the smugness of the ad but, pigginess and morality aside, I agree: it is a great short production that lands punch after punch.

I would be curious as to the ROI of the ad. It has gone viral so there is a lot of chatter around their product if not about the product. Will it sell more Cadillacs or will people think, "Ick. I don't want to be associated with that great American a**hole."

Would you be more or less inclined to buy a new Cadillac after seeing that - assuming that you aren't one of those take-August-off-for-vacation losers who can't afford it or work for that guy at minimum wage?

Me. Less.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Would you be more or less inclined to buy a new Cadillac after seeing that - assuming that you aren't one of those take-August-off-for-vacation losers who can't afford it or work for that guy at minimum wage?
    They've been trying to position their cars against BMW, maybe they are trying to position their customers as BMW-level DBs as well

FreeP article with some details on the ad.

Highlight: The star of the Ford ad isn't playing a character. She's Pashon Murray, founder of Detroit Dirt.

Thanks, g.

Shame she's probably going to have that thing stolen...it seems like a bunch of new Ford vehicles have become the darlings of the auto thieves. Nearly everyone I know in the city owning a new Ford has had issues in the past year.

That's very odd considering Fords have transponder keys. So you can't start the car at all unless you actually have the key that matches electronically to that particular car. So unless they're being stolen by somebody with a towtruck, it's essentially impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    That's very odd considering Fords have transponder keys. So you can't start the car at all unless you actually have the key that matches electronically to that particular car. So unless they're being stolen by somebody with a towtruck, it's essentially impossible.
    They never turn a key, or even start the car...from what I've heard.

Ford reportedly uses a plastic stop in at least one of their popular automatic transmissions...something I've not verified, but it came through a Facebook discussion and the person seemed to have some solid info on it. The thieves merely have to bump the vehicle with another to break it, allowing the car to roll.

The steering columns are busted open to release the steering lock, and VOILA!...hassles for MONTHS trying to get the car repaired...because they don't actually steal them as locally strip 'em, a few blocks away. Caught one Flex on an odd alley sidestreet near Van Dyke one heavy-snowy morning avoiding the lemmings on Jefferson...on blocks, window smashed, the whole deal.

I'd like to see what similarities there are in the auto trans of the Fusion and the Flex, those seem to be the vehicles most commonly affected.

I swear they are more popular than Chrysler/Jeep vehicles by the thieves...taking the throne from them is huge.

So yeah, technology ain't shit compared with the will of thieves, apparently. The old school ones will always find a way.
    Last edited by Gannon; March-29-14 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Hey drjeff, Friends in GP have had their Escape stolen twice, third time, steering column damage, interior damage, etc., but vehicle was still there. THAT being said, I think Gannon's post that more Fordz are being stolen above other brands is B/S. I personally know people that have had Pontiac GT6's disappear, permanently, Dodge 1500 RAM's, Jeeps, etc. etc. as well as the usual multitude of catalytic converters, hubcaps, stuff left inside, etc. Actually living here in the D and dealing with this nonsense daily, gives one a totally different perspective then the usual "another new coffee shop" cheerleaders.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-29-14 at 06:00 AM.

Pashon's getting alot of hits apparently... her site has exceeded its bandwidth. I'll try back later... looks like she is in YOBs for those grocery store scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    FreeP article with some details on the ad.

Highlight: The star of the Ford ad isn't playing a character. She's Pashon Murray, founder of Detroit Dirt.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-29-14 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    She's getting alot of hit apparently... her site has exceeded its bandwidth. I'll try back later... looks like she is in YOBs for those grocery store scenes?
    Another excellent choice by Team Detroit.

Yeah, I went on a tour to TD a couple of years ago. They are engaged in quite alot of innovative stuff there!

The Ford ad is good, IMO. I didn't particularly care for the Cadillac ad. [[though I do like the CTS) To me it was arrogant and irrelevant to my life style.

Unless you can get one used, they handle and ride beautifully [[a friend has an older model). No care note is the move. Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    To me it was arrogant and irrelevant to my life style.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I disliked the smugness of the ad but, pigginess and morality aside, I agree: it is a great short production that lands punch after punch.
    I just saw the ad for the first time. To me it feels more like parody

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hey drjeff, Friends in GP have had their Escape stolen twice, third time, steering column damage, interior damage, etc., but vehicle was still there. THAT being said, I think Gannon's post that more Fordz are being stolen above other brands is B/S. I personally know people that have had Pontiac GT6's disappear, permanently, Dodge 1500 RAM's, Jeeps, etc. etc. as well as the usual multitude of catalytic converters, hubcaps, stuff left inside, etc. Actually living here in the D and dealing with this nonsense daily, gives one a totally different perspective then the usual "another new coffee shop" cheerleaders.
    I calls 'em as I sees 'em, and there has been a seismic shift away from Chrysler as the theft vehicle of choice, but that doesn't mean they AREN'T being stolen...I merely said that Ford has replaced Chrysler/Jeep as the most-affected, and that is a function of Ford's increased popularity.

As well as the suspected avenue these thieves take...which is what I feel bears investigation.

But I don't see how my enthusiasm for java has anything to do with this...you can ADD to the dialogue without being an absolute asshole. Can't you?!

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I calls 'em as I sees 'em, and there has been a seismic shift away from Chrysler as the theft vehicle of choice, but that doesn't mean they AREN'T being stolen...I merely said that Ford has replaced Chrysler/Jeep as the most-affected, and that is a function of Ford's increased popularity.

As well as the suspected avenue these thieves take...which is what I feel bears investigation.

But I don't see how my enthusiasm for java has anything to do with this...you can ADD to the dialogue without being an absolute asshole. Can't you?!

Sincerely,
    John
    A "seismic" shift? Please post some stats. But then there's always the chance you have "insider" information, like maybe friends with chop-shops? You "calls 'em as you sees 'em"? Me too, and I call B/S. I'm posting three links from three different websites as to the top 10 stolen vechicles both in the US and in MI. The only 2 Fordz that made the list, the F150, and F250 pick 'em ups. I guess things "ain't always as they seems". As far as me being an "absolute" asshole", well, we both know there are no absolutes in life, and I'm certainly in no position to take away the # 1 spot from others.

No chairs on this one.....

Honky Tonk

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1799/...ge-Pickup.html

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...r-years-on-top

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO05/302260090

Love the FORD Line, if I had to steal a car, I would go for the focus Titanium in the hatchback.

NPR's "Here and Now" featured Pashon Murray on the show today. It's a short piece but she came across very humble and sincere. Also did a great job boosting Detroit.

"... and I do believe that I'm one of the many people in Detroit who is impacting Detroit. I'm just a part of this huge vehicle... I'm one of the components..."

You can get the audio here:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/04/09/detroit-dirt-ford
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-09-14 at 01:32 PM.