Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Is there any hope at all for the Eddystone and Park Avenue hotels?

In light of the possible sparing of the "Hammer" building on Woodward in Midtown...

...The Eddystone and Park Avenue [[AKA Harbor Light) hotels are supposed to be demolished as part of the New Red Wings stadium redevelopment. In the Detroit News article dated June 24th, 2013, it was stated that a hotel might be included in the stadium project. Wouldn't it make some sense to at least seriously consider these 2 buildings for a hotel or residential?

Those buildings are really dilapidated right now, and although they are not exactly architectural masterpieces, if new windows were installed and if the architectural details of the lower floors were spruced up and unbricked, I think that they would look spectacular and grand. I believe the redevelopment of these 2 hotels would really add interest in residential living in this new development.

These hotels were a part of the history of the development of Park Avenue and the Cass Corridor in the 1920's during its heyday, and it would be phenomenal if they could be part of that area's re-birth.

These 2 buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places, and thus their restoration is eligible for numerous grants [[and maybe tax credits?) Are these buildings structurally sound? Do they sit in the footprint that the stadium is supposed to occupy? Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to renovate these 2 hotels? In 2005, an $8.1M redevelopment was proposed for the Eddystone [[http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/in...redevelopment/).

Would the powers that are finalizing the stadium deal be willing to listen to appeals for incorporating these structures into the new stadium? Is there anything an everyday citizen or citizen[[s) can do to try to get the "powers that be" to consider redeveloping these hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    These 2 buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places, and thus their restoration is eligible for numerous grants
    You are the second person today who posted that grants are available for restoring historic buildings. Where in the world does this notion come from?

Would the powers that are finalizing the stadium deal be willing to listen to appeals for incorporating these structures into the new stadium? Is there anything an everyday citizen or citizen[[s) can do to try to get the "powers that be" to consider redeveloping these hotels.
    Who are the "powers that be"?

Are these buildings structurally sound? Do they sit in the footprint that the stadium is supposed to occupy? Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to renovate these 2 hotels?
    Good nuts and bolts questions. I suggest you find answers to these questions before approaching the "powers that be".

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    You are the second person today who posted that grants are available for restoring historic buildings. Where in the world does this notion come from?
    Have you been in a coma for the last 20 years? Haven't you heard of historic tax credits? They were used for the redevelopment of the Book Cadillac, the Fort Shelby and now the David Whitney Building. Without them none of these buildings would be restored!

For buildings on the National Register of Historic Places, such as these 2 properties, there are many options available... as seen here...
    http://www.nps.gov/tps/tax-incentive...-you-apply.htm

Who are the "powers that be"?
    Well that would be the Detroit Development Dept., the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, the City Council, and the Detroit Historic Commission.

Good nuts and bolts questions. I suggest you find answers to these questions before approaching the "powers that be".
    I have no clue as to why you post snarky comments from left field on this topic.

The development will use public money... so these issues will be addressed... there's a Midtown group, and also Detroit historic preservation groups that will likely turn this into a battle royale... if Ilitch plans to further decimate buildings for parking lots.

Not only are the historic tax credits lost... but the cost of demolition and land preparation CANNOT use any federal money for this. Which means that the taxpayers will offset the costs of their demolition.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-26-14 at 09:05 PM.

Gistok,

The OP mentioned grants and tax credits separately. I was only picking on the grants comment. Tax credits have been discussed on this forum in great detail.

For the record, I would love to see these buildings, as well as every historically significant building in the city, restored and occupied.

What frustrates me about threads such as this one is the assumption that building owners, developers, and city officials are completely ignorant.

Yeah, I get too snarky. Guilty.

Gistok,
    What frustrates me about threads such as this one is the assumption that building owners, developers, and city officials are completely ignorant.
    It's not that they are COMPLETELY ignorant, it's the point that decisions are made mostly for the short term and for the few. I got that sick feeling when I saw this project targeting the area containing Eddystone and Park Avenue.
    Tangentially, this whole new stadium deal, which I originally wholeheartedly supported is starting to sour as the OLY-garchs seem to be making out considerably well as the City rolls over and lets them have whatever they want. Now there is an argument that moving into the Fox and turning their back on the suburban groundbreaking was a spark of life for this neighborhood, how many generations will that be held over our heads?
    It's all too easy and all too often that we see historic buildings come down with banners "in the name of progress" but to what result? Blocks of unpaved dusty or muddy surface parking does not impress me as progress. I hate watching these grand structures decay before my eyes but I can imagine their beautiful history as they still stand. With each building leveled the Grandness of Detroit has one less reason to be remembered.
    That's what I'm thinking about this morning.