Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I am thinking about a move from St.Louis to Hamtramck

Hello Detroityes community,
    I have been reading post here for a bit. Last night I signed up so I could get feedback on my decision to possibly move to Hamtramck. I have been doing as much research on the town as I can online, but there is only so much info online. I understand that it has a fair amount of crime, but I am from St.Louis and just like Detroit we get a bad reputation if you listen to the media,even though the vast majority of St.Louis is not bad at all. It seems Hamtramck is very walkable, which is great for me because I love to ride my bike. I may even sell my car and just go with my bike because car insurance up there seems to be insanely high compared to what I am used to. Although I am concerned with the ease of getting to downtown if I should need to get there. Property tax is also much higher than I am used to, but the affordability of the property seems to balance it out. I have been looking at a few multifamily properties online and I think that maybe what I may end up getting.Anyone have an idea what homeowner insurance cost up there, is it similiarly high like the auto insurance. Also as far as rental units go, what utilities does the owner provide, In St.Louis the owner usually includes water,sewer and trash in the rent. Anyone who has any feedback on Hamtramck good or bad I would be interested in hearing from you. Favorite places in town, streets that are good, parts of town to stay away from. I am trying to get as much info as possible so I can make a sound decision.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by StlSteve View Post
    Hello Detroityes community,
    I have been reading post here for a bit. Last night I signed up so I could get feedback on my decision to possibly move to Hamtramck....
    Generally speaking, we have plenty of property crime in Hamtramck, but not a whole lot of capital crimes. Police response time is excellent compared to Detroit, just a few minutes. The sewer system isn't that great; during a downpour most basements flood, which is kind of a drag.

Hamtramck is kind of cool in that it has good neighborhoods and not-so-good neighborhoods. In most places, the good people would simply leave, right?

Message me privately if you'd like to learn more. I can put you in touch with somebody who did what you are about to embark on.

pm sent detroitnerd thanks

I don't/never lived in Hamtramck but it's always been interesting to me.

There's a density/intimacy to it unlike any other place in Michigan.

I was just there last night at Royal Kabob. Its interesting it was hit just as hard as any other community but it was able to at least look like an actual community as opposed to the neighboring Eastside where I grew up and Highland Park [[which I think has it's own potential).

It's almost ready made to be serviced by decent public transporation, but things being what they are it will also probably never see it.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    It's almost ready made to be serviced by decent public transporation, but things being what they are it will also probably never see it.
    DDOT does a pretty good job servicing Hamtramck. This info is kind of old, but it is still relevant. http://www.hamtramckstar.com/hamtram...ransportation/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    DDOT does a pretty good job servicing Hamtramck. This info is kind of old, but it is still relevant. http://www.hamtramckstar.com/hamtram...ransportation/
    Thanks detroitplanner I will check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    Only one of the three DDOT bus lines from your link survived the last round of route elimination, and that line [[#8 Caniff) was so unreliable ten years ago, that I would walk to Woodward, rather than wait on that bus. I can't imagine that its on-time performance has improved.
    Well hopefully service will improve, at least there is an option to get downtown on a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Generally speaking, we have plenty of property crime in Hamtramck, but not a whole lot of capital crimes. Police response time is excellent compared to Detroit, just a few minutes. The sewer system isn't that great; during a downpour most basements flood, which is kind of a drag.
    Hamtramck's police department is pretty much down to two cars/shift. They will NOT respond to non-injury vehicle accidents. Winter sucks - my road has been cleared exactly once in the last 12 years, half of the people don't clear the sidewalks. If you are lucky, you can get a place with a driveway, otherwise parking is a pain. Riding a bike into Detroit isn't bad. I've never had an issue and neither have friends.

I have never had any crime issues, but there are some parts that are worse than others. It seems to me that the areas between Holbrook and Caniff are better for that, from Jos. Campau to Buffalo. The area north of Caniff between Jos Campau and Fleming was pretty iffy for awhile, but some major problem buildings have been well-sealed and new residents have improved the area. Closer to the highway and south of Holbrook are not so good.

Not sure about the Grand Haven/Dyer neighborhood [[that little sliver of Hamtramck on the other side of I-75

Welcome to the D or at least the H. Hamtramck is a wonderful, colorful, diverse and inexpensive. It is lively and loaded with charm and mom and pop stores, bars and restaurants. But I have a safety warning for you...

If it is winter and a shoveled-out parking spot has a chair sitting in the middle of it, do NOT touch the chair and do not even think of moving it and parking in the space.

Good stuff on here. North of Caniff between Fleming and Campau is still in decent shape. My block is the most north-eastern block in this section, and has enough good neighbors on it to stabilize all the blocks south of it. North of Caniff btw Campau and Conant is still nice. South of Campau btw Lumpkin and Conant is pretty much intact all the way to Holbrook. Prescott and even Caniff e. of Conant on the Detroit side is still nice. It's a little spottier as you head south of Caniff e of Conant to Holbrook, but still are some nice blocks. South of Holbrook east of Campau still functions. Avoid West of Campau south of Holbrook

As a landlord, I have separate utilities in all, and do bill for water. It's 100 bucks quarterly just to have a meter. I charge btw 400-500 at the duplex and get 650 for the house next door. Both in nice shape. You can expect to pay more the closer you get to Campau Caniff Historic District, Gas bills range around 100-180/mo during the winter with the boilers running, just not constantly. We're all misers. Elec is around 50/mo all year around.

Biking to wayne state is 15 minutes tops. Cabs from midtown, not downtown range btw 8-11 depending how far north in Hamtown you live, or if you're getting dropped off at a bar. Cabs from downtown 10-12. Cabs from Hamtramck to anywhere else is really dumb, as only cab co.s in Hamtramck are allowed to pick you up. Since my street is a block from Detroit, Detroit cab co.s have made exceptions. The only bus left that matters is the Conant to the fairgrounds/downtown, but it takes forever to get downtown.

Taxes have come down about 25% in the last few years. I pay total about 1500/yr on the duplex which is a rental and non-homestead for tax purposes, down from around 2k 4 years ago.

The best part you mentioned is the walking. Park your car on Friday after work and don't use it again till Monday. From Veterans park at the south end to my block at the north, it's a 15 minute walk, 3 minute bike-ride. Or stretch that out and see how many bars you can hit in that span with 12 bucks in your pocket. Groceries are plentiful and there is an actual big grocery store [[the Crown) on Caniff E. of Buffalo. It ain't fancy but it's clean and has lots of cashiers.

If you must a have a car, as you probably will, get a beater and basic [[PLPD) insurance. Leave the doors unlocked and keep meter change visible, they won't break your windows at least. Your radio in your beater will be leaving soon, so will the CD case since in looks like an Ipad case.

You will meet the coolest people from all over the world in Hamtramck. The foreigner vibe at the bar crosses European, Middle-eastern, Muslim [[believe it) and Detroiters/suburbanites. The beer is cheap, the shots are cheaper. They even take credit cards now, but if that $14 in your pocket runs out, someone will buy you the next one.

Did the cuts to police happen after the placement of the emergency manager,
    everything i have read about Hamtramck online talk about the positives of the quick response time of the police there. I appreciate your feedback on the areas that have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Hamtramck's police department is pretty much down to two cars/shift. They will NOT respond to non-injury vehicle accidents. Winter sucks - my road has been cleared exactly once in the last 12 years, half of the people don't clear the sidewalks. If you are lucky, you can get a place with a driveway, otherwise parking is a pain. Riding a bike into Detroit isn't bad. I've never had an issue and neither have friends.

I have never had any crime issues, but there are some parts that are worse than others. It seems to me that the areas between Holbrook and Caniff are better for that, from Jos. Campau to Buffalo. The area north of Caniff between Jos Campau and Fleming was pretty iffy for awhile, but some major problem buildings have been well-sealed and new residents have improved the area. Closer to the highway and south of Holbrook are not so good.

Not sure about the Grand Haven/Dyer neighborhood [[that little sliver of Hamtramck on the other side of I-75

The CANIFF bus has been combined with the PLYMOUTH BUS ROUTE 38. It only runs once an hour though

I enjoy Hamtramck, we shop there often. I really love Shrodeks meat market. Great quality meats. Every store has great quality service. The bars are fun. some times too much fun!

Our grown children are vegan vegetarians, we eat limited amounts of meat but when we do, like quality.

Glory Market is also great for prices. Just sayin!

I have lived in Hantramck twice and both times by choice.

I still have bumper stickers that proclaim "Hamtramck; A Touch of Europe in America"

Nowadays it would probably read, "Hamtramck; A Touch of South/South East Asia in America"

Even with the cuts, response times have been OK. Just last week we clocked a non-emergency call at three minutes.

I have owned a house in Hamtramck for 8 years. It is a great community that I highly recommend.

Best wishes,

In 2011, I moved from St Louis to Hamtramck. I don't think you will have any problems. I loved living there, but my work thought otherwise and I was recently transferred. Hamtramck reminded me of South Grand, perhaps a little grittier. I rented a typical 'worker cottage' just east of Caniff, north of Holbrook. Utilities were reasonable, never paid more than $120/month. I paid gas/electricity, landlord paid water/sewer/trash. Car insurance was the only serious change in expenses vs. St Louis. Desi pizza, best chicken & rice ever! I never experienced any crime myself, nor did any of my neighbors when I lived there. You might want to think twice about not having a car. I worked downtown and thought I'd go car free one day a week. Bus service was not the best even on the short ride between Hamtramck/downtown. DDOT is nothing like metrobus. But, in town, I walked everywhere. I loved being able to walk around town for most errands. I was able to find most everything I needed in town. I probably had to make the trek out to the suburbs once a month for stuff I couldn't get in town. All in all, depending on the STL neighborhood you lived in, you will wake up some days and forget you are not in south city. Best of luck and I'm sure you will love it!

Hey Lowell.
    Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Lol, That happens here in St.Louis city too where they only plow the main streets, people shovel their spot and then put cones down to save their spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Welcome to the D or at least the H. Hamtramck is a wonderful, colorful, diverse and inexpensive. It is lively and loaded with charm and mom and pop stores, bars and restaurants. But I have a safety warning for you...

If it is winter and a shoveled-out parking spot has a chair sitting in the middle of it, do NOT touch the chair and do not even think of moving it and parking in the space.

Hey Maserblaster,
    Thanks for the info on the bus. It is important to know as that will be my primary transport aside from my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The CANIFF bus has been combined with the PLYMOUTH BUS ROUTE 38. It only runs once an hour though

Hey hamtradgey,
    Thanks for all the great info. There are a few properties I have been scouting out online that are for sale. How do you feel about Carpenter and that area close to Jos Campau.
    I also appreciate your info on the utilities , will help me with my budget picture.
    With all the great feedback from everyone I am even more pumped up about the move, I will be making a boots on the ground trip up there sometime mid april to check things out in
    person.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Good stuff on here. North of Caniff between Fleming and Campau is still in decent shape. My block is the most north-eastern block in this section, and has enough good neighbors on it to stabilize all the blocks south of it. North of Caniff btw Campau and Conant is still nice. South of Campau btw Lumpkin and Conant is pretty much intact all the way to Holbrook. Prescott and even Caniff e. of Conant on the Detroit side is still nice. It's a little spottier as you head south of Caniff e of Conant to Holbrook, but still are some nice blocks. South of Holbrook east of Campau still functions. Avoid West of Campau south of Holbrook

As a landlord, I have separate utilities in all, and do bill for water. It's 100 bucks quarterly just to have a meter. I charge btw 400-500 at the duplex and get 650 for the house next door. Both in nice shape. You can expect to pay more the closer you get to Campau Caniff Historic District, Gas bills range around 100-180/mo during the winter with the boilers running, just not constantly. We're all misers. Elec is around 50/mo all year around.

Biking to wayne state is 15 minutes tops. Cabs from midtown, not downtown range btw 8-11 depending how far north in Hamtown you live, or if you're getting dropped off at a bar. Cabs from downtown 10-12. Cabs from Hamtramck to anywhere else is really dumb, as only cab co.s in Hamtramck are allowed to pick you up. Since my street is a block from Detroit, Detroit cab co.s have made exceptions. The only bus left that matters is the Conant to the fairgrounds/downtown, but it takes forever to get downtown.

Taxes have come down about 25% in the last few years. I pay total about 1500/yr on the duplex which is a rental and non-homestead for tax purposes, down from around 2k 4 years ago.

The best part you mentioned is the walking. Park your car on Friday after work and don't use it again till Monday. From Veterans park at the south end to my block at the north, it's a 15 minute walk, 3 minute bike-ride. Or stretch that out and see how many bars you can hit in that span with 12 bucks in your pocket. Groceries are plentiful and there is an actual big grocery store [[the Crown) on Caniff E. of Buffalo. It ain't fancy but it's clean and has lots of cashiers.

If you must a have a car, as you probably will, get a beater and basic [[PLPD) insurance. Leave the doors unlocked and keep meter change visible, they won't break your windows at least. Your radio in your beater will be leaving soon, so will the CD case since in looks like an Ipad case.

You will meet the coolest people from all over the world in Hamtramck. The foreigner vibe at the bar crosses European, Middle-eastern, Muslim [[believe it) and Detroiters/suburbanites. The beer is cheap, the shots are cheaper. They even take credit cards now, but if that $14 in your pocket runs out, someone will buy you the next one.

Hey Mattym,
    Great to hear the comparisons from a fellow St.Louisan
    I was born and raised in south county, but have lived and owned properties all over south city over the last 10 years.
    I enjoy the south grand area, so I am sure I will enjoy Hamtramck. Did you transfer back to St.Louis?
    Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mattym View Post
    In 2011, I moved from St Louis to Hamtramck. I don't think you will have any problems. I loved living there, but my work thought otherwise and I was recently transferred. Hamtramck reminded me of South Grand, perhaps a little grittier. I rented a typical 'worker cottage' just east of Caniff, north of Holbrook. Utilities were reasonable, never paid more than $120/month. I paid gas/electricity, landlord paid water/sewer/trash. Car insurance was the only serious change in expenses vs. St Louis. Desi pizza, best chicken & rice ever! I never experienced any crime myself, nor did any of my neighbors when I lived there. You might want to think twice about not having a car. I worked downtown and thought I'd go car free one day a week. Bus service was not the best even on the short ride between Hamtramck/downtown. DDOT is nothing like metrobus. But, in town, I walked everywhere. I loved being able to walk around town for most errands. I was able to find most everything I needed in town. I probably had to make the trek out to the suburbs once a month for stuff I couldn't get in town. All in all, depending on the STL neighborhood you lived in, you will wake up some days and forget you are not in south city. Best of luck and I'm sure you will love it!

Does anyone else have any feedback, especially in regard to the area around carpenter and jos campau. Also I had read somewhere the city has a couple of city parking lots, but I haven t been able to find out where they are .

Does anyone else have any feedback, especially in regard to the area around carpenter and jos campau. Also I had read somewhere the city has a couple of city parking lots, but I haven t been able to find out where they are .
    There are some municipal lots, but they tend to be along the main drags, like there's one on Campau near Belmont and another one on Caniff near the post office. But I don't think parking should be a problem for anybody used to an urban environment. Compared to parking in, say, New York or Boston, parking in Hamtramck is pretty easy, requiring at most a half-block walk.

Drive a stick-shift. Stay away from minivans [[esp. Dodge Caravans) and late-80s early 90s Chryslers and Jeeps.

GUSHI Guest

Don't forget to reserve a parking spot in front of your residence, chairs or milk crates work good. lol ,

I found a small house years ago in what I thought was one of the best spots in Hamtramck. It was across the street on Charest from the Immaculate Conception Church and School. Always had parking and space to look out at. That block is between Casmere and Commer in the area your asking about.

The other side of the block on Gallagher had the large and spacious brick homes, at least by Hamtown standards.

Homes around the Big Churches seem to be on the plus side of things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast